cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we forget about shopping in the US?

Recently, delivery prices from the USA to Europe and Asia have doubled. Previously, we paid less than $30 for delivery, but now it costs at least $90. Additionally, for sellers in the US, this eBay shipping method is absolutely free. Where is the fairness for the buyer in this?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Should we forget about shopping in the US?

There's no such thing as free shipping, either the seller pays or the buyer. I am a US seller I offer free domestic shipping to my buyers but the cost of shipping is incorporated into the price of the item then I pay shipping costs to generate the label so nothing is free.  What makes you think it's free ? 

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

In this case, there is no talk about sellers and convenient shipping methods for them; here we're talking about what seems to be unfair policies towards buyers outside the US. Consider this: if you purchase a compact disc and regular USPS shipping costs you $30, but through eBay, the shipping is $70, in most cases, the buyer will be inclined to pass by you. It's a different story when you sell your product in your own city/country, and you don't have to worry about this.  We condemn poor quality and expensive international shipping via eBay's shipping method.

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

I only ship internationally by EIS, if a buyer were willing I would consider International Priority if it permits tracking to the buyer, but no untracked methods, no lying on invoices/customs slips, buyer pays shipping and any customs charges. I don't really care if I sell anything internationally.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

eBays international shipping program

The buyer will be charged any US domestic shipping and handling costs that a seller specified, as well as international shipping, and other fees as determined by eBay. Import charges may be collected from the buyer at checkout or on delivery, either through customs or directly by the carrier. These charges include any customs duties, taxes, brokerage, and other fees.

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

This is a useful link for overseas buyers to decide if the cost of shipping is fair and accurate.

Sellers will also have packaging and possibly insurance costs on top of that.

You can switch the measuring system to metric.

Ask the seller for the dimensions and weight of their package before buying.

Many sellers will automatically go to the top of the list and choose the very fast and secure Priority rate.

But the cheapest rate is First Class International Package which is fast and secure. Ask the seller about that before buying.

Sellers who use the eIS program, which is a Seller Protection program, will often have lower rates than those using USPS when the import fees are taken into consideration. Your country will charge import fees on arrival if the seller is using USPS while eIS charges the import fees up front which makes your total cost for shipping appear higher.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips wrote:

In this case, there is no talk about sellers and convenient shipping methods for them; here we're talking about what seems to be unfair policies towards buyers outside the US. Consider this: if you purchase a compact disc and regular USPS shipping costs you $30, but through eBay, the shipping is $70, in most cases, the buyer will be inclined to pass by you. It's a different story when you sell your product in your own city/country, and you don't have to worry about this.  We condemn poor quality and expensive international shipping via eBay's shipping method.

No one says the world is fair. No one forces all shipping methods to charge the same price. Shipping methods differ by whether they include tracking, insurance and customs clearance services.

EIS meets the needs of many Ebay sellers and many Ebay buyers. Whether it meets your needs and the needs of other buyers in your country is a decision you get to make.

Where you can find an alternative to purchasing on Ebay and pay the shipping fee from the US is your problem.

I am thrilled that EIS does not even use the postal services for last mile delivery in countries where the postal services have been unreliable in for decades. And I do not mind losing the sales to those countries for all but the most motivated buyers because those sales shipped by the postal services were money losing.

Ebay served an need by offering EIS and increased the number of products which sellers would offer for international shipment. If that is not a benefit to you, that is ok, many of us would not ship internationally without this service.

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

that shot is just showing the "acceptance" at the Post Office for an item for which the postage was "prepaid" online.

But yes,  shipping is "high" when done through the eBay International Shipping program.

eBay is in it to make money for .......................... eBay................  and that is done with the increased international buyer shipping cost.

When I sell something I have to pay USPS shipping to get the item to the eIS hub.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

@erzengelb 

flapdoodle

Compare GA rates to the previous Parcel Select. 

The rates have not "skyrocketed".  Just basic annual(semi-annual) increases about in line with what they have been.

Your previously posted nonsense about GA rates remains unsubstantiated.

In "your thread" we still await examples of the outrageous rates that you attest exist for simple coast-to-coast shipments.

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage is charging first class rates for 3rd class speed and care. $97 for 8 pound boxes from California to New York is obscene. 

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips wrote:

I cannot affirm for all sellers, but at least with those from whom I make purchases and have doubts about their reliability based on reviews, I request a postal receipt as proof that the package was sent to the recipient. Some of these receipts from Canada:

1000044038.jpg

but from US shipments with eBay delivery, is similar.

That is just a scan receipt. The seller has purchased and paid for a shipping label on eBay and taken the parcel to the post office here they scan and provide the seller with a receipt. This is proof that the item has been shipped. It does not show a shipping amount because it is only a scan of the shipping information on the parcel. I do this myself when I drop an item off at my local postal centre. Shipping is never free!

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

@radiolips wrote:

I cannot affirm for all sellers, but at least with those from whom I make purchases and have doubts about their reliability based on reviews, I request a postal receipt as proof that the package was sent to the recipient. Some of these receipts from Canada:

1000044038.jpg

but from US shipments with eBay delivery, is similar.

@radiolips 

The receipt you show is what a seller gets when they print the label online and then take it to the Post Office to be scanned into the system The USPS, Canada Post scan it but it comes up as $0.00 instead of what the seller actually paid. The only way a scanned receipt will show actual cost is if the seller purchases the Postage at the Post Office instead of online.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

Rudeness to others is not appropriate here.  We need to respect each other.  

Treat the people who respond here the way you would like to be treated.

Even if you disagree, even if you think someone is wrong, there are other ways to express yourself than being outright unpleasant.  

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

disagreements are fine, but we should try to be civil.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

especially when the offender is the one displaying any lack of knowledge🤣

and provides no evidence to support their absurd claims🤔

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

Seriously? You are rude, or misinformed, or confused.

As was shown (screenshot) in "your" 3/15/24 thread where you made such claims, an 8 pound GA package to zone 8 does not cost $50-$75. There could be extra charges if over 22" long, or over 30" long, or over a cubic ft, or over 2 cubic ft., but the cost is not $75.

To be noted, the claim on your thread was that the package was small (would fit in a flat rate) with outrageous shipping charges. I would post a screenshot here, but it would fall on blind eyes, and this thread is going "off track", and needs to return to the OP's subject rather than an unsubstantiated rant. I can put another screenshot on "your" thread, if desired.

There, your thread was claiming $50-$75 shipping Zone 8, but possibly where "your" confusion is coming in is that "what a seller is charging for shipping" does not always equate to "what the carrier charges for shipping".  Now the claimed carrier charge is up to $97 for zone 8. 

As those "carrier shipping costs" do not exist, you have supplied no information to support your claim of high GA shipping charged by USPS.

Also to note.   I do realize that some have run into "location specific" delays, but my GA packages are being delivered in a timely manner consistent with the time frame suggested by USPS. 

When you provide the proof.........................  I will go sit in my corner, and shup up 🤐

Until then your absurd misinformation will be countered by posters on these community boards as it skews the facts for readers that need assistance.

ETA:  skyrocketing GA costs?  I shipped a GA package this week. Less than a cubic foot. With "cubic pricing" the cost to ship with GA was less in March of 2024 than it was in January of 2023, and was just 20 cents more than it was in January 2022.  Package out for delivery (Zone 6) in 3 days. YMMV

Message 30 of 40
latest reply