cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Leave Feedback?

I usually leave feedback right away for sellers as soon as I receive my item and open the package. My buying experiences on eBay have been very positive. I've gotten lots of adorable items for my collections. I am very careful about checking seller feedback, and checking the pictures. There have been times when I've decided "No thank you".

3 weeks ago I bought a set of 3 Avon kitty perfume bottles. They're an adorable set that I've been interested in getting. Before the sale I noticed the seller was new with low feedback and a couple of negatives. I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a chance. I also noticed in the pictures the bottles looked a little dirty/dusty. I contacted the seller about one of them. They sent me pictures of that bottle all cleaned up. I was hoping they would clean the other 2 as well.

When I received the bottles I discovered they were not wrapped or protected in any way. They had simply been placed in a box filled with those Styrofoam pellets/peanuts. Of course one of the bottles came damaged. It has a tiny hole in it. That's the one that was cleaned up. The other 2 did not get cleaned up. So I cleaned them up and they're fine.

I've been debating whether to leave feedback. If I do what do I say? I haven't contacted the seller yet. They have left me feedback though.

I don't think I want to do a refund. I'm happy with 2 of the bottles. I may replace the 3rd one later. These are small collectibles that don't cost very much. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Should I Leave Feedback?

When buyers come here asking advice about giving FB, my personal feeling is that it's entirely their decision.

However, you don't want to return anything.  Suggestion: leave no FB but PM the seller and explain what you found not so great about the transaction.  As a new seller, hopefully, they will be grateful for the constructive criticism.  

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Should I Leave Feedback?

@sierras1160,

I agree somewhat with the previous reply, but in this situation a neutral feedback mentioning poor packaging might be best.  You are not hurting the seller's feedback percentage, or giving them a defect. The message should serve as a warning to the seller that they have to do a better job of packing delicate items.

The only caveat to the above would be, if there was no sign of the missing glass/ceramic piece in the box. Which might mean the damage was there prior to shipping but not described. IMO that would deserve an negative.   I would have asked for photos of all sides of the pieces. Only one photo is not enough for a multiple used item listing. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Should I Leave Feedback?

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@sierras1160,

I agree somewhat with the previous reply, but in this situation a neutral feedback mentioning poor packaging might be best.  You are not hurting the seller's feedback percentage, or giving them a defect. The message should serve as a warning to the seller that they have to do a better job of packing delicate items.

The only caveat to the above would be, if there was no sign of the missing glass/ceramic piece in the box. Which might mean the damage was there prior to shipping but not described. IMO that would deserve an negative.   I would have asked for photos of all sides of the pieces. Only one photo is not enough for a multiple used item listing. 

I did request pictures of all sides, and the seller did do that. Sorry I forgot to mention that detail.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Should I Leave Feedback?

Thank you @soh.maryl and @mudshark61369 for your comments. I appreciate that.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Should I Leave Feedback?

I just left neutral feedback for the seller. I tried to be fair in what I posted.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Should I Leave Feedback?

If it's good enough to keep, give either none or a positive.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply