cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shill bidding concerns resolved.

I was interested in an auction item.  It had no bids, and it happens that today was the last day of the auction.  I may well be very behind in the mechanics of eBay auctions, but not so far behind as to see it as a red flag when, out of nowhere, the fact of my placing a bid causes an immediate second bidder to appear.

After doing more research about various eBay auction schemes, including complaints about the 'nonprofit' that has this item at auction, the bottom line is this:  I was lucky that there was an increase over my "winning" bid.  All I have to do is stop.  And, if this was some manner of shill, then, I hope the shiller is happy with the result.  (I know.  This isn't a question, but I hope it saves someone some grief.  

Also, even with auctions, perhaps especially so, always send a message to the seller, no matter who they are or claim to be, and see if there is any response.  If none.  Move on.  Sign out.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Shill bidding concerns resolved.

Am sincerely sorry that you were offended by my response to your post.

Honestly, could not see the problem of another bidder turning up after you bid.

And, BTW, that "superstar" designation is not something chosen by me.  eBay gives those labels out based on the # of replies a person gives on these Boards.  

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

The seller sees a bid placed on his item almost immediately.  

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

What "tricks"? And why have you decided not to ever again bid on an auction?  

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

@maxi314 wrote:

I probably phrased something incorrectly.  I appreciate receiving your response.  As I see in another comment, the tricks played with auctions are complex and broad.  I will never again bid on an auction item.

Except there are literally zero tricks being played here. You bid on an auction. Someone else also bid on the same auction. They bid more than you did, so they won.

What, pray tell, do you consider to be a "trick" with this?

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@maxi314,

The 2nd link posted in my reply takes you to a page where the various ways you can bid are explained, as well as tips for winning auctions. If you want to look it up on your own, do a Google search for "All about bidding, ebay"  it will take you to the page I posted the link to.

You later wrote to me:

"Please know, too, that I both contacted the seller, and telephoned the head of the online auctions.  I never heard a word, with plenty of lead time".  

Why would you contact a seller before bidding on an auction, except to ask for clarification if there was missing or conflicting information in a listing?  Even then sellers are not required to reply to messages.

As for telephoning the head of ebay auctions, how did you get that number?  eBay does not post the phone numbers of their execs publicly.  Their reps do not have those numbers either, and if they did still would not be allowed to give them out.  If you searched online for ebay's customer service phone number, none of the posted results are to real ebay customer service numbers.  The only way to speak to a rep is to use the contact us link at the bottom of any ebay page, and after filling out info, requesting a call back.  Even then you are speaking to a call center phone rep, and they do not have the direct numbers to execs.

I fully expect you to dismiss the above info, since you have not accepted any info given you so far, since accepting the first answer as the best one, even though many of us have years more of experience in dealing with ebay and know what we are talking about.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 20 of 34
latest reply

OP sounds like a shill. I'm pretty sure it's been over a decade since a valid customer service phone number existed. I've experienced likely shills when bidding and selling(intentional NPBs) many years ago. With suspected shill bids, items would usually be relisted, which I assume was usually the seller not wanting to sell as low as my bid on a no reserve auction. Every suspected shill happened with low, bad, or no feedback users. Now sellers default on sale by just saying item is not in stock or has damage not described, because eBay removed the buyers ability to give feedback once purchase is canceled. 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

No it’s definitely shill bidding because GW does this on their own website and you can’t tell me otherwise! So this poster is behind so stop calling them out and taking up for GW!! 

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

Don’t listen to these people they’re gonna take up for GW because they’re either employed by GW or they’re resellers/scalpers and they don’t want anyone badmouthing their honeypot! It’s definitely shill bidding GW pulls this 💩 on their own site! But what really gets me is how the heck they’re still getting away with it! But it’s not only that they allow all the resellers to come into their website and use bid bots to basically take your items away from you. Then they come in here and defend them! Karma will catch up to each and everyone of these people!

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

I don’t care how long you’ve been at it shill bidding is a problem especially when GW is behind it, and I think this person is educated enough I think you and Mudshark need to be more educated on how to talk to someone!

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

I’m betting they’re either employees of GW or they are resellers most likely resellers! And you got it right they are rude,

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

And to be honest, don’t stop bidding just don’t do any bidding when it involves GW!

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

Just a coincidence. Last day of the auction is generally when the action begins.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

I'm pretty sure I've just experienced an attempt at shilling. One hour to go, I was the only bidder, then a new bidder with zero feedback appeared, bidding 25 pence over my max bid. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. Waiting to see what happens next. I'm not going to up my max bid, obviously. I'm half expecting to see the item relisted in a couple of hours' time, but if that happens I won't be bidding with this seller again if they are going to play that sort of trick.

In future, as everyone is suggesting, I will wait until the last few moments to bid.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

@zarash wrote: ... I was the only bidder, then a new bidder with zero feedback appeared, bidding 25 pence over my max bid. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not....

You were outbid by a newbie.  I don't see anything suspicious about that.  eBay always shows the high bid as just one bid increment above the second-highest bid, so that 25 p difference does not mean that he knew or guessed the amount of your hidden full proxy bid.

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

But that does mean the seller doesn't have to sell the item to the legitimate bidder. I guess this is because the bid price is less than they wanted to sell it for. It's still dodgy.

Message 30 of 34
latest reply