cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers who don't respond to "Best Offer"

I'm frustrated with sellers who offer " best offer" and when you make an offer they don't respond either to reject or make counteroffer.  It leave the buyer hanging out there unable to move on to another bid until the offer time runs out 2 days later. 

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Sellers who don't respond to "Best Offer"

Most posters are great here, including yourself ,

@mistwomandancing wrote:

I think a lot of it is a failing attempt sometimes to continue to be patient with buyers who have obviously simply plunged into transacting business here with another complete stranger over the internet, and haven't bothered to read the policies that guide transactions here.. apparently at all.

Some are so lovely to answer, advise, guide, comfort, and give explanation to.  They appreciate it.   They thank those who have stepped in to give time to their problem.  They understand.  They learn.  They are a pleasure to welcome aboard, and to look forward to perhaps doing business with in the future. 

Those contrast with the uninformed and misinformed who come here angry, ranting and raving, argumentative and insistant, sometimes completely off the wall and absolutely refusing to take any responsibility for the mess they're in, and have created, and have drug their seller into as well.  They are costly and damaging and uncaring.  They want what they want, even when it isn't eBay policy, even when it isn't going to happen because they have made a mistake that can't be taken back, and very often.. when they are in the absolute wrong!

Exchange with buyers here covers a wide range, and the vast majority is not harsh, much of it is short and sweet, but not hurtful.  But it often isn't molly-coddling either, so buyers who are *tender souls* may be expecting mother's enfolding arms of comfort, and they don't usually find that here. 

As on all discussion boards, we're a wide range of personality types here from all walks of life and backgrounds.  But overall, there's a fabulously great education from all of this for any who spend some time reading and considering everything that is said.

I sure don't see much hatin' on the buyers... many of them are going to continue on eBay and become US in a short while.

at patience but there are just a few that can give the boards a bad name. Giving people alternative solutions for mistakes they make is maybe worth the time rather than intimidating or saying na na na boo boo look what you did. Who knows how many bad buyers can be reformed just by educating them, especially the new ones. Then there are the buyers that are terrible on purpose. They are the hopeless ones.

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

Hi, If Nighthawk has read some of the posts I have, then maybe that is where the comment came from. However, I do not think it is always concerning being a buyer. A couple of responders always seem to fly off the handle when they find any fault about someone else. Also they are not on this thread so I am not referring to people here. It is very calm compared to what I bookmarked. 

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

I use BO on a majority of my items, and I try to respond to all.

I take a lot of them if they are in my comfort zone.

I got a 15.00 offer on a 100.00 part, it was a competitor, looking to flip my item.

I made no response, and in less than 8 hrs a watcher paid full price.

I have never got a sale from a counter offer, 100.00 item, get an offer for 50.00, counter with 75.00, crickets.

I don't use auto decline, You never know you had an offer, missed a few offers I would have taken had I known.

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

I don't use auto decline, You never know you had an offer, missed a few offers I would have taken
--------------------------------
That makes zero sense. If I'm using auto decline I wouldn't have accepted whatever offer was at or below the threshold I set anyway.
Message 34 of 60
latest reply

But in his case it does make sense as he can counter and the buyer may accept. By using auto decline you may miss out on a sale due to not being able to counter offer. Some people just like to dicker - I see it at every garage sale an estate sale go to.
Message 35 of 60
latest reply

@spiceweasel-21 wrote:
I don't use auto decline, You never know you had an offer, missed a few offers I would have taken
--------------------------------
That makes zero sense. If I'm using auto decline I wouldn't have accepted whatever offer was at or below the threshold I set anyway.

I have an item with a 50.00 cut off, it's been on ebay for a year, no action at all.

I go to revise it, only then do I see that months ago I had an offer for 45.00.

I would have taken the offer.  that is why I no longer do auto decline.

You replied to the wrong poster

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

"I would have taken the offer. that is why I no longer do auto decline."

Having auto-decline set to the wrong amount isn't an auto-decline problem.
Message 37 of 60
latest reply

@obi-juan0 wrote:
"I would have taken the offer. that is why I no longer do auto decline."

Having auto-decline set to the wrong amount isn't an auto-decline problem.

As a seller, I can never come up with an auto-decline dollar amount.  Unless it was mistyped, I doubt there is a true wrong amount because what I will accept for any given item changes over time and sometimes with my mood.

If the item has been listed a long time, I will take less than I would the first week or two.  If the buyer's feedback is brightly colored that will affect my decision, if I like their avatar I might even take less. Yes, I've taken an offer for less than I hoped because I liked their cute little dog/cat/gerbil picture. Smiley Tongue

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

OK.. now I know that smick is easy!  (Off to look for a cute pet picture to enter as my avatar...)  Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

I totally disagree with all the opinions that a buyer has to wait 48 hours for an offer to be accepted or rejected.

The language used by ebay is vague and open to interpretation. If a buyer simply makes an offer without any designation of terms in the message to seller, then the 48 hour clause is in effect.

On the other hand if a buyer sets a time limit within the message to the seller, then that supercedes the 48 hour rule. Offers are not only for a monetary submission.

As to the opinion that if a buyer is not willing to wait 48 hours, then don't make an offer. This implies hardship on the sellers ability to check offers infrequently

That same logic holds true for a buyers hardship to have to wait 48 hours.

In closing a buyers offer and terms are the sellers responsibility to work around. If they can't wait for adjusted time limits then don't post with a best offer option.
Message 40 of 60
latest reply

alex_atlanta wrote:
I totally disagree with all the opinions that a buyer has to wait 48 hours for an offer to be accepted or rejected.

The language used by ebay is vague and open to interpretation. If a buyer simply makes an offer without any designation of terms in the message to seller, then the 48 hour clause is in effect.

On the other hand if a buyer sets a time limit within the message to the seller, then that supercedes the 48 hour rule. Offers are not only for a monetary submission.

As to the opinion that if a buyer is not willing to wait 48 hours, then don't make an offer. This implies hardship on the sellers ability to check offers infrequently

That same logic holds true for a buyers hardship to have to wait 48 hours.

In closing a buyers offer and terms are the sellers responsibility to work around. If they can't wait for adjusted time limits then don't post with a best offer option.

It might be a good idea to read eBay's policies which are in place and in force regarding Best Offers for both the buyer and the seller: 

For the buyer:  (1)  Best Offers are good for 48 hours, or until the listing ends, whichever comes first.

(2)  If the seller doesn't respond to your offer within 48 hours, it's canceled.

For the seller:   After you receive a Best Offer, you can choose to (among other options)

(1)  Let the offer expire after 48 hours or when the listing ends, whichever comes first. 

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

To that I pose the question, why does ebay have a message to seller tagged with an offer.

If everything is nailed down tight by CLEAR ebay rules, what can be said in the message to seller?

It's my opinion that the 48 hour rule stands if no additional information about the offer is provided in the message to seller box.

I'm feeling a bit whimsical today so I'll throw out some message to seller lines.

A) I've made an offer and I'm really a nice person so please accept it!
B) Is my offer too low or too high?
C) My personal favorite. Why is this here and what am I supposed to do with it?

"Rules are not all encompassing and are open to interpretation."
Message 42 of 60
latest reply

See below.
Message 43 of 60
latest reply

@alex_atlanta wrote:

"Rules are not all encompassing and are open to interpretation."

I see you also interpret another policy differently (concerning feedback given to buyers) or maybe you just choose to ignore it altogether.

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

E-bay policies have something to do with it. They have a way of creating bad buyers and of course sellers are going to respond to it in a negative way. The way things are structured here it makes adverse relationship very easily.

This might be true if we were all five years old.

Message 45 of 60
latest reply