cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller wants to send Invoice through Paypal not EBay

Yesterday I completed a number of auctions with the same Seller.   Seller informs me that they want to Invoice me through Paypal because EBay's system won't allow them to Invoice me.  Is this a scam?   Is this a real transaction but they want to somehow avoid paying EBay fees as a seller?   Am I obligated to complete the transactions through Paypal and not through EBay?

Details:   I won 5 separate auctions for some silver coins in each auction.   To avoid shipping costs on each auction, I've asked the seller for combined shipping.   Seller says they can't invoice through EBay, asked for my email address, in order to invoice through paypal.   So far, I have not received an Invoice.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Seller wants to send Invoice through Paypal not EBay

There are a number of posts over the last few months where the invoices or checkout screens show free shipping at inappropriate times.  It causes a lot of confusion.

We need to know from the OP the item numbers in order to know for sure if they had free shipping or not.

All the items are in the OPs shopping cart, if they did not originally have free shipping they should be able to click the "Request invoice" button and the seller can adjust there.

Otherwise the OP (buyer) should pay for the auctions as is and then the seller can do a partial refund if they choose.

This is the downside to "free shipping", combined shipping is a nuisance.  I finally created a new store category of Free Shipping and added it as the second store category for all items with free shipping.  Then I was able to create an order promotion of "10% off when you order 3 or more Free Shipping items" to simulate a basic combined shipping discount.  I can still do a partial refund of an additional amount if necessary, but this gives a basic automatic discount and it does seem to help.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Seller wants to send Invoice through Paypal not EBay

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@time4david5d28 wrote:

The issue with shipping costs is that EBay's system is asking I pay for all auctions and the shipping costs associated with each item.  That triggered me to asked the seller to combine shipping to only pay for one shipping cost.  However, I notice that if I pay for each item individually, the shipping cost shows as FREE Shipping.    That would mean that if I pay individually for each item, the Seller received no shipping compensation.   So, I don't know what to do.  

I'm not going to pay for 5 individual shipping costs.   On the other hand, getting free shipping when free shipping was not part of the auction is also wrong.   I do not feel that getting an invoice through PayPal is ok with me as I'm not too sure if I have EBay return guarantee.    The Seller listing says NO RETURNS.   If I only have Paypal returns, then I am obligated to pay for return shipping.   

Since I want the EBay Guarantee Can I reject an Invoice from Paypal and only accept an invoice from EBay?   Am I required to pay for items even if no invoice for combined shipping is generated?

Based off this post it sounds to me like there was a shipping cost listed in the listings that the op wants combined.  The combined shipping of all those right now shows the full cost of each shipping not a combined price yet.  But for some reason the lndividual listings now show free shipping even though they weren't free 

the op wants a combined discount of less then what each listing was originally on shipping but doesn't want to cheat the seller by paying each individual  listing that now shows free when they had a cost originally

This is exactly how I understood it. 

The OP would not be saying he didn’t want to pay 5 separate shipping charges if each had free shipping. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 17 of 17
latest reply