cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sold counterfeit items, I reported, and they are still active and Ebay unresponsive

This is more of a warning that eBay is not holding their sellers accountable for selling counterfeit products nor did they backup their claim of worry free purchasing.  I bought power tool batteries from a seller and they are fully labeled with Makita all over them.  It was a two battery pack and one of the batteries stopped charging after about 4 uses.   The seller would not respond and refused to do a return so I sent it to Makita Service for what should have been warranty work.  They flagged it as a knockoff.  Of course it is past a 30 day return window because it didn’t arrive non-functioning.  I contacted the seller - silence.  I contacted eBay and they said they would send the seller a note to refund within 72 hours but they wouldn’t honor the purchase guarantee because it was past the 30 days (again, only way to find out it was counterfeit was to send to Makita).  The customer Service Rep said if they don’t refund within 72 hours file complaint for a policy violation, which I did.  Frustratingly the seller is still active and eBay continues to be silent on the matter and I am out $120 and wasted time.  Also concerning, these batteries are being sold all over eBay by multiple sellers - same picture.  Likely all counterfeit as well.  Seems they are tolerating sellers they say they will not tolerate.  Every purchase I make on eBay will be suspect from now on.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Seller sold counterfeit items, I reported, and they are still active and Ebay unresponsive

Many companies won't honor a warranty unless it was purchased from a factory dealer even if it's a real not a knockoff. 

If you paid by credit card, contact your card company.  If you paid by paypal, they allow 180 days from purchase to file.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@doctao wrote:

I contacted eBay and they said they would send the seller a note to refund within 72 hours but they wouldn’t honor the purchase guarantee because it was past the 30 days

They only told you that to make you feel better.

Once the MBG expires, they won't do anything.

There are a lot of those batteries coming from China that are all counterfeit.

If you paid through Pay Pal, open a case with them or contact your funding source.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@doctao,

" Also concerning, these batteries are being sold all over eBay by multiple sellers - same picture".

There are many fake listings for Brand named replacement rechargeable batteries on ebay, almost all of them listed by China based sellers, which is why they all have the same photos, they are stock photos from the Brand's Mfr.  If your seller is still selling the same batteries open the listing and look in the item specifics where it says Brand: Often it will either be blank, say unknown or other. 

"The seller would not respond and refused to do a return so I sent it to Makita Service for what should have been warranty work, They flagged it as a knockoff".

You should have tried to get Makita to send you a letter saying the battery was a knock off. With that you might have gotten a refund.  Also, as simba6 wrote many manufacturers will not honor their warranty, if an item is not sold by one of their Authorized Dealers. 

"The customer Service Rep said if they don’t refund within 72 hours file complaint for a policy violation, which I did".

How did you contact ebay's customer service?  If you looked up a number online, you were not speaking to a real ebay C.S. rep. If you contacted ebay by getting a call back or using the Chat, unfortunately, those reps have limited knowledge of ebay policies, because not every situation is covered by the playbook they read from.

If you reported the item by using the Report item button on the listing page, ebay will not take action for a single report by an individual buyer. It would take several reports by different buyers for the same reason.

As the others have said your only recourse is to file for a refund through PayPal or your credit card provider.  PayPal gives you 180 days from the date of payment, card companies anywhere from 90 to 180 days.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Not exactly  sure how a seller could refuse a return if/when the buyer opened an  item not as described case.

DID you open an NAD case?

Never mind -- now I see that you waited past 30 days.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Unfortunately, this CS remedy of "send the seller a note to refund within 72 hours ", then "file a complaint for a policy violation", is the type of hokum you'll receive if you contacted ebay from this page.   As others have noted, once you're passed the 30 day window, you're pretty much SOL.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply