cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller requesting more money

Wondering what the policy is about sellers requesting more money for postage.  I purchased a lot in February.  I was told that one of the larger items would be shipped separately a little bit later and that she would pay for it to be sent.  I have received the rest of the items and just sent a message asking when I should expect to receive the last item.  I was told that I will need to pay for its shipping( probably around $40) because she already paid more than expected for shipping.   I am disappointed as I purchased the lot expecting to get all of the items.   I have already sold several of the items that I received so I can’t return it.  Just wondering what the best way to handle this situation is?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Seller requesting more money

You could go to the mat on this one and eBay/PayPal would back you 100%.  They can make her suffer the eBay and/or Pay Pal consequences, BUT...

A.   None of those consequences puts money in your pocket.

B.  Neither eBay nor PayPal can actually go to Seller's house and make them send you the item at gunpoint.  If she would rather suffer the consequences than ship, then that's what she'll do.

If she's an experienced Seller AND she knows you already sold some of the lot items, then she kows by doing that you limited your options for redress.  You can't send the whole lot back and get a refund because you don't have the whole lot.

Sure we could insert hollering, screaming, quoting eBay policy, tsk-tsk the Seller etc, but this is Business, it's dollars and cents.

So run the numbers....would you still make good money on the entire lot if you paid the extra shipping to get that last big item, or maybe offered to split it with the Seller?  If so, consider making an offer in compromise of whatever amount works, receive the item, sell it, pocket the money and move on.  If the extra $40 in shipping puts you upside down in the deal, then IMHO you were working way to close (the deal offered a poor percentage return on investment) and should have passed on it.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

This seems like dirty pool, but...

I would open a SNAD.  When the seller asks for the items back, return whatever you have left of the lot they sent you.  If they complain tell them they never sent one of the promised items anyhow, so they should call it even.

Again, dirty pool, but sellers should follow through on their promises.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

you can always ask her to give you a partial refund if you are not willing to pay extra shipping.

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the response! I think I will just forget about getting the last item.  It would have been a good deal without it but many of the items were received in worse condition than described.  Listing said dolls may have a mark or two but they were ripped, stained hair, legs falling off, etc.  So it probably isn’t worth paying extra money into the deal.  It was definitely a learning experience and now I ask a list of detailed questions before buying. Would this situation warrant bad feedback?  

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

The seller not following through is what bothers me. I have lost money in shipping several times but just eat the cost. They are upset because they already paid $60 extra to ship what I have now since I live on the west coast. I just wish they would have at least told me that they miscalculated the postage and offer to cancelled it before shipping instead of not sending me everything.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Too bad , She has to eat , If she miscaulculated shipping costs, thats her problem, I did that once, cost me more, I did'nt say a word, ate the costs and moved on. I would'nt even think about asking one of my customers for more money to cover my screw up, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. She has to ship to you, for whatever it cost her. You cannot change the rules, once the gavel comes down. DONE DEAL!.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

If the items aren't as described (and including the missing item), I would file a IUD with ebay. They will make the seller pay for return shipping and you will get a refund. I wouldn't just let this go.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@dlw7_26wrote:

If the items aren't as described (and including the missing item), I would file a IUD with ebay. They will make the seller pay for return shipping and you will get a refund. I wouldn't just let this go.

IUD? I'm not familiar with that acronym--on eBay, anyway. What does it stand for?

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I'm sorry, I meant INAD and not UID. UID stands for unpaid item dispute and INAD stands for item not as described.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the replies.  I called eBay and explained the situation.  They told me not to pay any extra money and talk to the seller.  Also that he seller will

need to pay for any returns if I were to Go that route. I asked for a $40 refund I’m exchange for not shipping the item.  This is the response from the seller.  It isn’t looking promising.  

Email-

That is really not very nice of you at all. You got a great deal on those items, it was worth more. I shipped in good faith and even put in extra items to the lot. I will contact eBay as well and let you know what they say. I m not sure when I will get upstate so it will have to wait. Unless you want to return all items. I thought eBay was a give and take environment. I made a mistake. I miscalculated. Why take advantage of me for being naive. If you were selling these items and it was your error, im sure you would hope that the buyer would be fair. I included the bed at the last moment...didn t even need to include it. It s a valuable item, the least you could do is be fair and pay the shipping. I ve already lost in this deal. You have already gained. You could probably sell these dolls individually and make a huge profit. Just think about this.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Sorry, but the seller is trying to lay the blame on you for not accepting whatever junk they chose to send, including the fact they didn't send an item you were supposed to receive.  You deserve to receive what you paid for; bad shipping calculation is on them, not you.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

It is a violation for the seller to ask for more money for anything post sale.

You can  inform her of this and state you will be contacting Trust and Safety to report her violation if she does not send your remaining item.  They will open an investigation, explain policy to her, and record it on her account.  

Put her on your BBL so she cannot buy from you and retaliate.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@courtmacwrote:

Thanks for the response! I think I will just forget about getting the last item.  It would have been a good deal without it but many of the items were received in worse condition than described.  Listing said dolls may have a mark or two but they were ripped, stained hair, legs falling off, etc.  So it probably isn’t worth paying extra money into the deal.  It was definitely a learning experience and now I ask a list of detailed questions before buying. Would this situation warrant bad feedback?  

Asking questions should be a good idea, but I have found that the answers you get may not be accurate or correct.  I have been told time and time again that there was no damage, only to get a damaged item that was not damaged in shipping.  Not to rain on your parade, just want to prepare you for what might happen.  It is disheartening to take the time to ask a question, and then find out the answer was wrong, or the seller didn't even bother to check.  Some find the damage while packing, others never do.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@courtmacwrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I called eBay and explained the situation.  They told me not to pay any extra money and talk to the seller.  Also that he seller will

need to pay for any returns if I were to Go that route. I asked for a $40 refund I’m exchange for not shipping the item.  This is the response from the seller.  It isn’t looking promising.  

Email-

That is really not very nice of you at all. You got a great deal on those items, it was worth more. I shipped in good faith and even put in extra items to the lot. I will contact eBay as well and let you know what they say. I m not sure when I will get upstate so it will have to wait. Unless you want to return all items. I thought eBay was a give and take environment. I made a mistake. I miscalculated. Why take advantage of me for being naive. If you were selling these items and it was your error, im sure you would hope that the buyer would be fair. I included the bed at the last moment...didn t even need to include it. It s a valuable item, the least you could do is be fair and pay the shipping. I ve already lost in this deal. You have already gained. You could probably sell these dolls individually and make a huge profit. Just think about this.

She is trying to guilt you into dropping the case.  You can respond with a factual description of what you received, dirty hair, etc.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply