cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller is using deceptive practices

I recently bought a sign on eBay and learned that the seller is using deceptive practices, he is taking new porcelain advertising signs and making them look old to get a premium price, you can bu these signs new for $20 and he is selling multiples of rare signs and making huge profits by the way he describes them! How can eBay continue to allow fraudulent selling practices? I have tried reporting multiple times with no response from eBay I even contacted seller telling them I wanted a refund with no response! He is selling a sign like mine that I bought.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I've had signs from the 1980's that were displayed outside on my fence that looked just like his.

I did nothing to them to make them look old. It was Mother Nature that did the work.

As for the shilling proof you think you have: Many sign buyers will buy numerous signs from the same sellers to cut down on shipping costs

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Is he making any claim that the item is a specific age?  If not, it doesn't appear that he is being deceptive, unless you call producing a piece of decorative art as being deceptive.

With regard to the price he is asking, he is allowed to ask whatever he wants.  You, of course, have the right to not buy if you feel that his price is to high.  

So there is nothing to report.

Frankly, I'm appalled at some of the prices I've seen decorative art marked in some of the chain hobby and craft stores.  Of course, they can ask what they want for their goods. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

I would think some of those signs would be copyright or trademark violations.   Some of those companies may have an issue with it.  I know at least one company is on the eBay Verified Rights Owner Program.  You could file a report there or even contact the company if you wished and let them know, some take it very seriously.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@seanandlaruescollectibles wrote:

And it does say “Vintage” which means “Old” 

Actually, the term vintage is only correctly used if it is a modifier to further clarify what the vintage is.  For example a poodle skirt could correctly be described as 1950's vintage.  A wine that was produced this year would be a 2019 vintage even though it isn't old.

The term "Antique" however, does have certain legal requirements with regard to age.  

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@supercharger-parts wrote:

I would think some of those signs would be copyright or trademark violations.   Some of those companies may have an issue with it.  I know at least one company is on the eBay Verified Rights Owner Program.  You could file a report there or even contact the company if you wished and let them know, some take it very seriously.

While that might be true in some cases, many of the old advertising signs have long since had their copyright expire. 

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

You can open a not as described case if you are in the thirty days that Ebay allows for this after you receive your item.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

So?

Good for that seller.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

You can open a not as described case if you are in the thirty days that Ebay allows for this after you receive your item.

Suggesting a buyer open a fake SNAD is not a good idea.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@seanandlaruescollectibles wrote:

I look at the fact he is selling signs that mimic those from 1920’s-1940’s and he says vintage, those signs aren’t from the 1980’s they are made to look like originals from a the time the signs were used originally! So yes I’m my opinion it’s deceptive and misleading, people can put their spin on it however they want but at the end of the day the seller knows what they are doing and it’s sad that eBay has turned into the Market of Fakes.

@seanandlaruescollectibles,

If you are going to buy "vintage" items anywhere ask first if it is original. Knowing what to look for in a given collectible category to identify what could be a copy, is a must.  Definitely do not buy any "vintage" movie paper (1 sheet, lobby cards, etc.) listed as vintage without asking first. 99% of those listed are copies.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 24 of 24
latest reply