cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller is using deceptive practices

I recently bought a sign on eBay and learned that the seller is using deceptive practices, he is taking new porcelain advertising signs and making them look old to get a premium price, you can bu these signs new for $20 and he is selling multiples of rare signs and making huge profits by the way he describes them! How can eBay continue to allow fraudulent selling practices? I have tried reporting multiple times with no response from eBay I even contacted seller telling them I wanted a refund with no response! He is selling a sign like mine that I bought.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Vintage does not mean 'old'.

It comes from the wine trade and it is common to see wines with a 2019 vintage.

Vintage should (but usually isn't, sigh) part of a better description that includes its date of issue.

That being said, you will do best, since you have bought the item to open a Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page as Significantly Not As Described.

You don't really have to go into detail about how.

The seller will be told to send you a Return Shipping Label.

If he doesn't he loses the case and gets a Defect. eBay refunds you and goes after him for their money.

If he does, you return the sign, and he refunds you but has no other penalty.

Defects can mean higher listing and selling fees, restrictions on the number and value of listings, and even a closed account if the seller continues with his Bad Practices.

You can leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Sign is modern repro Refunded by eBay" for example.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

He is not being deceptive.In your post he does not make any claim as to condition or age.

You assumed........and was wrong

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

No I’m not wrong he is using deceptive practices to inflate prices

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Yes, that seems a little deceptive to me. He didn't say it was original, but he didn't say it wasn't either. That guy is walking on thin ice right on the edge.
However, it is possible the seller doesn't know. For example, he bought them all at a garage sale and doesn't know much about them and doesn't know they aren't old.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

If a listing does not contain a detail that is important to you the onus is on YOU to ask before buying.

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Well he did good if he bought that many duplicates at a yard sale and is not aware, it’s just disappointing that this is considered ok by some people! I mean seller has not responded to any of my emails, but thank you for your response! 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@*coins wrote:
Yes, that seems a little deceptive to me. He didn't say it was original, but he didn't say it wasn't either. That guy is walking on thin ice right on the edge.
However, it is possible the seller doesn't know. For example, he bought them all at a garage sale and doesn't know much about them and doesn't know they aren't old.

Looks deceptive to me as well. Using vintage in the titles. I've seen this before. Years ago I worked for Ohio Art Company and we had a contract with Coke to make replicas of old Coke trays. One of our salesmen kept bringing in big orders for these from a small dealer in Georgia. Come to find out he was taking these new Coke trays, putting them in the ground for months and then digging them back up and selling them as originals. He removed all the print on the backs of them that indicated they were reproductions. He was near Atlanta and right off the interstate ... all the tourists passing through thought they had found a gem.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

And it does say “Vintage” which means “Old” 

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Just make sure you ask eBay to step in on the 21st and they will probably send you a return shipping label and when it gets delivered, you would get a refund.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Vintage does not mean 'old'.

It comes from the wine trade and it is common to see wines with a 2019 vintage.

Vintage should (but usually isn't, sigh) part of a better description that includes its date of issue.

That being said, you will do best, since you have bought the item to open a Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page as Significantly Not As Described.

You don't really have to go into detail about how.

The seller will be told to send you a Return Shipping Label.

If he doesn't he loses the case and gets a Defect. eBay refunds you and goes after him for their money.

If he does, you return the sign, and he refunds you but has no other penalty.

Defects can mean higher listing and selling fees, restrictions on the number and value of listings, and even a closed account if the seller continues with his Bad Practices.

You can leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Sign is modern repro Refunded by eBay" for example.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

From Merriam - Webster:

vintage adjective

Definition of vintage (Entry 2 of 2)
1 of wine : of, relating to, or produced in a particular vintage
2 : of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : classic
3a : dating from the past : old
b : outmoded, old-fashioned

I have sold numerous porcelain signs. I listed them as vintage, because they were vintage. They were from 1985 -1995. Mine were all dated on the front and listed as repros.

But your seller was not deceptive in any way. The seller never stated a date of creation or that it was old or antique: "date of Creation: unknown"

You state that you asked the seller and he never responded. If it was so important to you to get a true antique, you could have moved on to a different seller.

You chose to buy the sign after viewing the listing. If you got the item shown in the picture, then how was the seller deceptive?

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

And when we are not talking about wine ... vintage is ....

It is an object that represents a previous era or time period in human society. An item should be at least 100 years old to be defined as an antique. Generally speaking if the item is no older than an antique but not less than 20 years, it falls under the term vintage.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Appreciate your input and take on the whole thing! I still take it as deceptive listing and it’s obvious that he bids on his own items also with other accounts but not your problem. Have a Great Day

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I look at the fact he is selling signs that mimic those from 1920’s-1940’s and he says vintage, those signs aren’t from the 1980’s they are made to look like originals from a the time the signs were used originally! So yes I’m my opinion it’s deceptive and misleading, people can put their spin on it however they want but at the end of the day the seller knows what they are doing and it’s sad that eBay has turned into the Market of Fakes.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply