cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller cancelled But It Now item after purchase, refunded, then relisted as an auction.

I bought something through a Buy It Now listing for an item with someone who has 100% feedback and over 1000 sales. I offered an amount, they counter offered, I accepted and promptly paid.

I find out later that day that the seller cancelled my order for some reason, leaving me to wait a week for a refund. When I asked why, they said there was an issue with the listing because "the plastic was folded" and was to include both volumes of a set. The item would be relisted as a combo pack. The listing page showed that there was a crease in the plastic, and nothing was mentioned anywhere about containing both volumes, which is the one which is why I bought it.

A few days pass, nothing. They say it would be relisted Saturday. I asked them if something had changed and to keep my posted. They got back saying it would be relisted Monday. Then they messaged back saying they "got permission to expedite the listing" and that item would be relisted the item as an auction Sunday.

I left negative feedback on my purchase that said something along the lines of "seller cancelled order and relisted as auction", which is when the seller chose to block me from bidding. The seller somehow also got my negative feedback comment removed and claimed I was the one who cancelled the purchase.

Reached out to eBay support, and they told me to file a report so I did. The agent I spoke with read the message between myself and the seller and sounded like they were on my side, as they said it was false that I tried to cancel the order. Meanwhile, that item is now going double of what I initially paid, again from what I see they don't have any other auctions all of the other listings are Buy It Now.

I can't fathom for the life of me this would happen from a seller with that many sales. Every single one of the items on their page are Buy It Now listings and no Auctions. This sucks. And this also makes me question how accurate the feedback system even is, if sellers can just falsely claim things that didn't happen to get negative feedback removed. In all my years of using eBay, I've never had this happen from a "reputable" seller. Does this happen fairly often? Normally I would just go to another seller, but right now this seller is the only one on the platform that has that item.

tl;dr
I bought something from a seller, they cancelled stating an issue with the item description. They then relisted as an auction. I bid, and my bids started getting retracked claim "Can't verify identity". I left negative feedback, and they blocked me from bidding and claimed I cancelled the order.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Seller cancelled But It Now item after purchase, refunded, then relisted as an auction.

@apks94-us wrote:

I bought something through a Buy It Now listing for an item with someone who has 100% feedback and over 1000 sales. I offered an amount, they counter offered, I accepted and promptly paid.

I find out later that day that the seller cancelled my order for some reason, leaving me to wait a week for a refund. When I asked why, they said there was an issue with the listing because "the plastic was folded" and was to include both volumes of a set. The item would be relisted as a combo pack. The listing page showed that there was a crease in the plastic, and nothing was mentioned anywhere about containing both volumes, which is the one which is why I bought it.

Trying to 'edit' that huge wall of text, but.... sometimes that happens. Sellers cancel for 'not a good reason' 

Nothing you can do. Nothing eBay can/will do. 

Best thing for YOU to do is:

Move on. Find another seller. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Did you inquire why was the feedback you left removed?

I heard  that ebay supposedly takes pride in fostering happy buying experiences

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

They sent me a message that had a list of reason why a feedback comment could be removed, but not why it was specifically removed. I'm guessing the seller was able to get it removed, because they falsely claimed I cancelled the order, or it falls under reason 3. The feedback comment was pretty mundane. Like I said it was "Seller cancelled item claiming I did, then relisted same item as auction."

This is the list they sent me:

The feedback comment contained

-- links or scripts.

-- references to eBay or PayPal investigations.

-- negative statements that conflicted with the positive rating.

-- personally identifying information about another member.

-- political, religious, or social commentary rather than a genuine comment about the transaction.

-- a reference to a completely separate transaction.

-- profane, vulgar, obscene, or racist language, or adult material.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@apks94-us wrote:

They sent me a message that had a list of reason why a feedback comment could be removed,

-- links or scripts.

-- political, religious, or social commentary rather than a genuine comment about the transaction.

The feedback that you posted, appears not to have been appropriate for removal

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@apks94-us wrote:

They sent me a message that had a list of reason why a feedback comment could be removed, but not why it was specifically removed. I'm guessing the seller was able to get it removed, because they falsely claimed I cancelled the order, or it falls under reason 3. The feedback comment was pretty mundane. Like I said it was "Seller cancelled item claiming I did, then relisted same item as auction."

-- links or scripts.

@apks94-us 

Yep. It looks like you responded too quickly to leave the seller a negative. Next time, I'd offer that you wait the few days.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply