cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller canceled order claiming broken. Seller has another of the exact same items still listed.

This is the first time I've ever had to deal with something like this and not sure if iI am proceeding correctly. I won a case of vintage plates. I messaged the seller that I would be in the area and could pick up the items instead of shipping. He responded that he would prefer to ship. I responded saying that I would proceed as he preferred. Before I could pay on my drive home from work he canceled the order due to broken items. ( Just hours after my message.) I messaged him right away because I had seen that he had another buy it now listing on eBay of the Exact same items that I won. I believe that he should have to honor the sale that I won. Please advise me if I am incorrect. I sent him a message about substituting his other listing, if not that I would still be interested in the broken case. I am interested in advise on how to resolve or make the seller accountable. Thank you for your time and consideration 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Seller canceled order claiming broken. Seller has another of the exact same items still listed.

Sounds like he doesn't like to sell something where the buyer lives so close to him.

Sounds strange and might be too much drama. 

I would just let it go. 

Nothing worse than getting a box mailed to you with nothing in it.

Just my thoughts and others will also give their opinions here as to what can be done.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Unfortunately eBay has no way to force the seller to honor the sale. By cancelling, the seller received a defect on their account. Just a few of those can lead to consequences ranging from higher fees to suspension of their selling account. The only thing left for you to do is leave factual, unemotional feedback for the seller.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Seller does not have to honor it. 

He said he broke it (many newbs do this if they don't get what they want)

Curious, was the 'other' listing there before or after he cancelled your order?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Nope, no one can force a seller to complete a transaction. Just the same no one can force a buyer to complete a transaction either....

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Seller has Relisted the same item. So obviously it was not "Broken". How do I contact eBay customer service? Very frustrated 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@realcarsone wrote:

Seller has Relisted the same item. So obviously it was not "Broken". How do I contact eBay customer service? Very frustrated 

Contacting CS will do nothing. As several of us have mentioned, eBay has already punished the seller by giving them a defect. There is nothing else they can or will do.

You should also know that community rules prohibit 'naming and shaming' other members. The seller's ID will be removed from your other post.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Understood. 

Meant as a warning not shaming, but I understand. Thanks for educating me on the new ways of ebay. And the lack of recourse for bad sellers. 

Thanks again 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The defect system for sellers has been around for at least 10 years. So it's really not new.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply