cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

I have recently been victimized by a seller from India who uses various shills on his clothing/wedding handbag auctions. He usually starts them out at .99, hooks a REAL buyer, then in comes the "shill" (always the same one(s) to bid the item UP/PAST the true bid, and just before the auction ENDS, the seller CANCELS the shill bid and invoices the highest bidder. You can see that the shill accounts have 100% bid activity with him when you click on their "hidden" ids/feedback. I reported him, began opening cases on him to get refunded, then he posted a FAKE TRACKING number so I would have to wait until AFTER the FAKE DELIVERY DATE (30 + additional days) to open the rest.

It was terrible. When I notified ebay about it, all they did was tell me to wait til after the delivery date, then open a case...duh.. They did shut down some of the auctions I reported, but, guess what? HE IS STILL SELLING. He has a plethora of negatives from other buyers who are all saying the EXACT SAME THING I SAID. Oh, and another thing: Whenever he gets a NEGATIVE from a REAL BUYER, voila, he uses the shill accounts to give himself as many SHILL POSITIVES to help bring his rating right back up. At least I was able to get the account he used against me shut down, but he is still going strong...

"I mean what I say, and I say what I mean..."
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

So you are still buying from him? Are you still being upbid by his shill bidders? 

Message 61 of 73
latest reply

Re: Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

@deniece200909 wrote:

Nah, no "hostage" here, sweetheart. but thanks for your concern.

Update:

To date, he has received many additional NEGATIVES, rating has nosedived to 66.2 (and steadily dropping), and it appears his auctions/store may have been shut down/closed (last auction/sale ended 7 Jan 19). He went from copying other sellers LEGITIMATE clothing auctions to copying living/dining room sets/chairs/copper decanter sets/coat auctions. He had NONE of those items to sell, and has shipped NOTHING. His feedback tells THE TRUTH, and it is rapidly becoming a SAD REALITY for the buyers he duped.

Message 62 of 73
latest reply

@deniece200909 wrote:

@deniece200909 wrote:

Nah, no "hostage" here, sweetheart. but thanks for your concern.

Update:

To date, he has received many additional NEGATIVES, rating has nosedived to 66.2 (and steadily dropping), and it appears his auctions/store may have been shut down/closed (last auction/sale ended 7 Jan 19). He went from copying other sellers LEGITIMATE clothing auctions to copying living/dining room sets/chairs/copper decanter sets/coat auctions. He had NONE of those items to sell, and has shipped NOTHING. His feedback tells THE TRUTH, and it is rapidly becoming a SAD REALITY for the buyers he duped.

Yes, you mentioned all of this already, but what is your point? You got scammed, hopefully you learned your lesson and stopped bidding on his auctions, but I am curious why after all these months you are so invested in this one seller? 

Message 63 of 73
latest reply

Why are you so invested in replying to my post?

Message 64 of 73
latest reply

Because it’s the only new one lately. 

Message 65 of 73
latest reply

And because I’ve never seen anyone so obsessed with a seller they had bad dealings with this many months later.

Message 66 of 73
latest reply

Hey, I think I know which seller you are talking about! Man, he is a fraud! Wow. .
Message 67 of 73
latest reply

This is shocking. Report this to PayPal. They seem to care more than eBay. I had someone do that to me and PayPal sorted it. eBay doesn't care. As long as their getting money, the more the better. Try PayPal, you hopefully will get your money back.

Good luck.

Message 68 of 73
latest reply

I'm not allowed to put his id on here, but he was definitely a scammer.
Message 69 of 73
latest reply

Yes, it is....Action is FINALLY being taken, I'm just updating to show the outcome thus far. Thanks for your help:)
Message 70 of 73
latest reply

If shill bidding is done correctly so that the sellers account and the shill bidders account can't be linked in any way then it is impossible to prove shill bidding even if it looks obvious.

The shill bidders don't even need to be in the same country as the seller. The seller in India could have his 6th cousin by marriage in Mexico do the shill bidding and it would be impossible to link the two.

The solution is only bid what you are willing to pay and bid in the last seconds so they can't get a shill bid in.

Join the dark side and learn to snipe.

Message 71 of 73
latest reply

True, true....indeed, my snipe-game is on point, lol
Message 72 of 73
latest reply

@deniece200909 wrote:

Why are you so invested in replying to my post?

HahaHa!!!

Message 73 of 73
latest reply