cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Making Excuses due to USPS Delays

Purchased an expensive package on here (I purchase a lot, rarely come across problems)

The package was sent via USPS ( I cringe now seeing USPS as delivery method coming from the west coast due to how terrible the service is)

It was expected last week at the latest on Wednesday Feb 24th. 2021.  It was shipped February 19th, 2021.  Today is March 2nd 2021. And the package is still stuck in the state it was shipped from.  I messaged the seller and they got really rude to us.  We even opened a case and have to wait till March 5th.  The reason we opened the case is we contacted USPS multiple times, opened up package research case 2 times now. On the phone they said it could be heavily delayed and there is no expected time frame for when it will deliver.  

The seller is now telling me in short "They are not responsible for what happens with the package when it is shipped in the hands of USPS" 

So let me get this straight, doesn't eBay have a policy stating SELLERS are responsible for the package being delivered regardless of the outcome?  The seller is upset we opened up a case because they refuse to resolve the issue.  

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Just curious what we should do in this situation.  Like do we go after a refund, and if the package arrives like 2 months later do we ship it back? What if it never arrives???

Also side note on the phone the USPS rep told us the package could be lost and chances are it will take a lot of time to find it and recover it.  So basically we are getting screwed out of the package.  

The seller also responded and said if we wanted the package faster we should have purchase OVER NIGHT SHIPPING.  

Well from my understanding we didn't need over night.  Because a week is fine to wait and on top of that we were in no desperate hurry until we realized 2 weeks is about to pass for a package.  

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Seller Making Excuses due to USPS Delays

I would say the news about USPS is informed on most buyers. I really try to AVOID USPS at all costs.  Anyways thanks for all responses. I will let eBay do their thing.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

A lot of rural, hobby sellers would have a problem using UPS or Fed Ex. For me, it would be almost 40 miles one way to drop off at either place. And who is going to pay 15-20 bucks for a pickup?

There are just certain spots that USPS is so backlogged that it takes forever to get through, or then never scanned it leaving the facility, so the next scan you might see is it at your own PO.

Did you add your email address into USPS for tracking updates?

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

@orchardrecycling wrote:

I would say the news about USPS is informed on most buyers. 

Oh you'd be unpleasantly surprised. I offer multiple shipping methods on most items but most buyer opt for the cheapest and then wonder why their book didn't arrive in 3 days.

Handling two clueless buyers a day for the last few months and ebay could easily handle this with a pop-up.

Just follow the procedure and you'll get your money back easily. The seller may call and have the case put on hold if the tracking updates while the case is open proving it is moving.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@orchardrecycling  when you purchased the item did you look to see if the seller offered FEDEX or UPS?  If the seller only offered USPS and you were aware of the slowdown with USPS why did you proceed with the purchase?

I agree the seller is rude and should be more helpful.  However to open a case so soon is kinda mean in of itself.  Just ake sure you do not close the case until you get the package or refund.

If you do get a refund and the package arrives you morally need to make the seller whole..

A package is not considered lost with USPS until 45 days.  Hoepfully the seller insured it for their own protection.  However that really does not affect you.

Be safe!

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 19 of 30
latest reply

I asked the seller to provide the option and they did not.  This item is VERY rare to find and we needed to buy it before anyone else did. 

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

I was referring to screenshots that had been posted. The buyer appeared to have been told by usps that it was express mail and thus not a priority which doesn't make sense.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 21 of 30
latest reply

So what would you like to hear from a buyer? 

I sold an item on February 22nd and it was picked up by USPS on the 23rd and was shipped priority. I know USPS was slow during the holidays but didn't realize it was still slow. I haven't had trouble with any other packages lately. A couple months ago, I understood mail was slow and was patient when I purchased. I don't think it's the seller's fault if something is delivered a few days late.

The buyer just messaged me saying that I shipped my item with free 4 day shipping and wants to know why she doesn't have it yet and if I can expedite it.

Ebay puts the free 4 day shipping on my listing, not me. I tell Ebay how I am shipping and then use that same method when I purchase the label. So what are my options when I did everything correct and the package still has not arrived? When can the seller put in an INR?

I want to respond back but what do I say without being rude that I can't do anything short of telling her to wait or ask for a refund (and then have the item show up and I'm out the money).

I will have to look into using UPS or Fedex in the future. Being an occassional seller, I didn't realize that USPS was still slow.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

I think using UPS or FedEx just for a few more dollars saves you the headache in the long run.  

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

I have been avoiding USPS since mid-December and using FedEx. Even if the buyer is paying $5 1st Class shipping I have been eating the cost to ship FedEx for $8 to $10.  Now I am having FedEx problems. A package shipped out Feb 19th.  Over 20 days and it is not going anywhere. FedEx refusing to talk to me. I have called many times and explained that I do not have a FedEx account. They hang up the phone and say sorry nothing we can do without an account. I explained it is eBay's account not my account. They tell me to just get eBay to call them. LOL.  eBay will not even talk to me about it.  They say work it out with the buyer. Just give them their $100 back and write it off as cost of business. 

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Absolutely but only if the buyer wants to pay more.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

There doesn't seem to be a waiting period.

USPS is SLOW right now.

I just had a buyer file against me.  It is at their post office.

Once you file, a seller can not get paid & it can mess their business up.  No wonder they are mad if the you paid for media mail and see it's in the system but you still file against them.  It's a scammer move to force a refund.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

This thread is two years old. OP is long gone.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Other than researching the current location of the package, which you've done, what do you want the seller to do? Yes, it seems like he was rude.  

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

OP states they opened a "find my package" search.  What would be the point of the seller repeating that action?  

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 30 of 30
latest reply