cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scalping needs to stop or be made notice of and fixed.

Ok so I’m bringing this up cause I’m sick of this. I’m tired because now it’s everywhere I know it’s your own choice but even ebay must know these people

making money like a job by scalping aren’t taxed and making a budget to live off of by not letting stores stock shelves. The stores already don’t care cause they made their sales oh well. But this is now a thing everywhere I try to buy things at yard sales I’m being attacked for it i try to race to every shelf to find everything gone and I’ve seen loads of people who have built up stock waiting cause they know. I’m seeing stores build up and hide stock for later purchases (where I used to work.) and even push it everywhere making prices ridiculous. I’m not here to vent or rant I want to see if something can actually be done i maybe more personally upset over this I don’t care what everyone does make some money off your product but when your going over a limit like say buy a couple and re well make a few bucks vs buying full skids and upscaling 4 times the price. This is like a few years ago with the Elsa dolls and a few times with holiday release stuff. Stop paying 100$ for things worth 20, I mean like we all know we all feel stupid over paying for fingerlings, hatchimals, ect ect. I’m just saying I experience it more and more there was even a craze due to your issues on eBay with black diamond Disney tapes and people over selling VHS everywhere I could go thinking their worth something due to an eBay post and now I can’t go to a yard sale and even pick up anything that isn’t close if not 60% it’s original value or even higher and it’s been used beaten missing things to it worn out and not even guarenteed and it starts with these websites enabling users to set high prices way above value. As I said before make your money purchase a few to make extra buy something 10$ sell it for 12 - 14 maybe even 15 but don’t sell it for 25 - 45$ without budging price and laughing about it. We shouldn’t Be taking advantage of each other we’re in an employers world where everyone lives by the internet we’re already taken advantge of by government and corporate monsters we don’t need to snakes everywhere. We shouldn’t put a stop to massive mark up and scalping.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Scalping needs to stop or be made notice of and fixed.

@tofu107 wrote:

I drink Starbuck coffee in the morning,often wonder where Ebay sellers get the coupons $1 off,they have so many of them.

Today I was at Kroger and there was this dispensing machine right there with Starbuck $1 coupon and they are almost gone,so now I know,some one took them and sell them on Ebay for good money.

So instead of giving them to the folks who  drink,someone took them to make money.

I get my iced tea every morning from Starbucks and I get those coupons automatically on my phone - and bonus points, freebies, discounts, and can order on my phone before I walk in the door to avoid standing in line.  So you are missing out on more than a $1 coupon which wouldnt even get your notice if you used the app.

Message 46 of 61
latest reply

Wife went to a yard sale today.  She bought 1 Mercedes grill, 2 Honda spoilers and Mitsubishi spoiler for the grand total of 70 bucks.  The Mercedes is worth about 150, the Honda is about 100 each and the Mitsubishi is unknown at the moment.  She located 2 nose bookends for 5 dollars that are worth right around 100 dollars and got something else I don't remember off the top of my head.  You need to look, and buy right.   We were going to do a Youtube show but scrapped it because she is so good at what she does.  She likes spending money and waits for Saturday to get her fix.  She gets to spend a couple hundred and we make money.   She gets her cash for the next Saturday and it goes on and on. She  As for me, forget it.  I go to a yard sale, buy something and immediately lose money.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 47 of 61
latest reply

So I get what everyone’s saying but still in these messages are excuses though. It’s like the last guy I bought from advertise free shipping then calculate the cost in. This feels like a retail store saying no matter what all you gotta make above cost due to shipping and costs and rates and lie until asked but relisiting ads and all that jazz and junk should be upfront and never included with a set price I know it scares sellers but I’d rather be truthful then lied to as everyone thinks the next price is regular and trending higher and higher l. Everyone has to take a loss once in a while it’s buisness you spend money to make money And some people might be stuck with it some might not. But if someone sells something worth 20 for 60 with no specifics and uses it to calculate shipping costs tho it says free uses it to calculate ad costs just to jack up prices everywhere before the point. It’s how ever people want to value it. The way I see it is the way my store operates even if there is a suddgested retail and we get a discount to sell such product we ignore all that and add a massive mark up on everything. Counter drawer knobs worth 4$ a piece now at 15. Maybe I just ranted for the sake of stress but I still, i was raised on you buy a brand new car drive off the lot it’s only worth a key value now but I see people driving off lots and selling it at full value because they can. But it’s not just here it’s flea markets yard sales Craig’s list sales and even kijiji. Buy something for full price sell it again for full price a year later used and bruised. 

Message 48 of 61
latest reply

Cars still lose value as soon as the drive them off the lot.  New ones anyhow.  I bought a used dodge shadow convertible years ago for $500.  Drove it for a few years resold it for $500.  

Sellers don't work for free.  You want $2-$3 profits only on items sorry that's not worth my time as a seller.  I'm not going to spend my time finding the item to sell, cleaning preparing it, listing it, shipping it, etc for a $2-$3 profit. To suggest that's all a seller should could for their time is wrong.  And yes you do have to spend money to make money. That doesn't mean you set yourself up to take a loss.  I buy things in advance spending the money to make back more in profit.  I don't spend it knowing I won't make money on it.  Now some bigger stores have loss leaders that they lose money on to draw in the buyers but it's not feasible for everyone.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 49 of 61
latest reply

@jereca-xt11u9wv wrote:

Everyone has to take a loss once in a while

What, is that a rule? Where is that written? Don't you really mean, "Everyone should take a loss when selling to me"?

The sense of entitlement is nauseating.

Message 50 of 61
latest reply

OH and with the items being sold for a loss to bring in traffic I promise you they are making up that profit by charging even more on other items.  Just taking a straight up loss isn't the best business model. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 51 of 61
latest reply

in the end, what a buyer is willing to pay determines the cost! if the price is too high, find another at a reasonable cost. if you can not find another for less, then it isnt overpriced! i have knowingly over paid for items when its value to me warrated it, i have also passed on many items priced fairly but wasnt worth it to me.

Message 52 of 61
latest reply

I am replying to all who commented on the issue of Scalping.  I was on ebay for years.  Stopped in 2004 and now I am back on as a buyer.Some of the people I consistently bought from are still on ebay.  But, back to scalping.  I have found out that there are sites set up that a buyer can enter there top price, and the "scalper" will bid when told before the auction ends.  People use "10" sections usually.  I don't know if the buyer knows this is happening but it is happening.  The person that did not win the bid does not understand what happened at the last few seconds.  Maybe someone is sitting  and watching their bid which is the highest, waiting to see if someone bids at the last second, but I think they are confident that they will get the item.  I do not think this is ilegal, but there is more than one site available.   I personally do not use the sites.  I already know what my top bid is.  But, I have been told that many buyers use these sniping (scalper sites).  I just want to be able to be private when I bid.  Every time I look at the bidders on a active auction, everyone but me is a private bidder.  Help, where do I find out how to be a private bidder.  I understand that the seller can see everything (bidders names) but anyone else looking,,like another buyer can see nothing but "private buyer" and they can see my name if I have bid on the item.  My ebay name is razzledazzle24.

Message 53 of 61
latest reply

The practice you're referring to his sniping and you can do it on eBay
Message 54 of 61
latest reply

@razzledazzle24 wrote:

I am replying to all who commented on the issue of Scalping.  I was on ebay for years.  Stopped in 2004 and now I am back on as a buyer.Some of the people I consistently bought from are still on ebay.  But, back to scalping.  I have found out that there are sites set up that a buyer can enter there top price, and the "scalper" will bid when told before the auction ends.  People use "10" sections usually.  I don't know if the buyer knows this is happening but it is happening.  The person that did not win the bid does not understand what happened at the last few seconds.  Maybe someone is sitting  and watching their bid which is the highest, waiting to see if someone bids at the last second, but I think they are confident that they will get the item.  I do not think this is ilegal, but there is more than one site available.   I personally do not use the sites.  I already know what my top bid is.  But, I have been told that many buyers use these sniping (scalper sites).  I just want to be able to be private when I bid.  Every time I look at the bidders on a active auction, everyone but me is a private bidder.  Help, where do I find out how to be a private bidder.  I understand that the seller can see everything (bidders names) but anyone else looking,,like another buyer can see nothing but "private buyer" and they can see my name if I have bid on the item.  My ebay name is razzledazzle24.

Last-second bidding is "sniping"; this is a discussion of "scalping". Two completely different concepts.

All bidder IDs are masked; only the owner of the ID and the seller can see the actual ID in the bid history, so your wish to be private has been fulfilled (many years ago).

Message 55 of 61
latest reply

Disney sells limited run items in their parks. They can build a display with 50 items and one person will walk in and buy all of them. It gets ridiculous.

We were at Disney World and one of the things I really really wanted were the hitchhiking ghost pops. They were on eBay and some sellers had a quantity of 10 with 50 sold.....

In Mori (one of the giftshops) they had a few of one of the ghosts. I grabbed ONE and was at the register and I told her how much I was hoping to find all of them but I was happy to have the one. Maybe in the next few days I'd luck out and find the others.

She went in the back and brought the two others. She didn't have a hatbox ghost, but they were hiding them from the resellers.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 56 of 61
latest reply

I was under the impression that "scalping" was used insofar as ticket purchases and not to items being bought/sold on eBay.

The only way to "put a stop or be made notice of and fixed" is for a buyer not to purchase.  Insofar as I am aware of eBay does offer "suggestions" however, the seller does not have to accept it.  And the way things are now, eBay does show related and/or identical items priced lower.

Message 57 of 61
latest reply

The sense of entitlement is nauseating.

I dunno, the entitlement in thinking it's fair to jack up the price on something 6000% when all they did was keep the box in their closet seems pretty nauseating to me.

If sellers were routinely cleaning and prepping the pieces, sure, but I generally only see them wanting a profit for its own sake, without adding any value to the piece.

Message 58 of 61
latest reply

@jereca-xt11u9wv   ... Capitalism at work ... supply and demand ... selling "wants" not "needs" ... if it weren't for Capitalism there would be no eBay, no Amazon, no Etsy, etc ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 59 of 61
latest reply

No matter what the item being offered, it is up to the Seller to decide what price to put on it, regardless of how ridiculous it may be. I have nearly fell out of my chair more than a few times from lmao at the price someone is asking for their item. 

Message 60 of 61
latest reply