cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scalping needs to stop or be made notice of and fixed.

Ok so I’m bringing this up cause I’m sick of this. I’m tired because now it’s everywhere I know it’s your own choice but even ebay must know these people

making money like a job by scalping aren’t taxed and making a budget to live off of by not letting stores stock shelves. The stores already don’t care cause they made their sales oh well. But this is now a thing everywhere I try to buy things at yard sales I’m being attacked for it i try to race to every shelf to find everything gone and I’ve seen loads of people who have built up stock waiting cause they know. I’m seeing stores build up and hide stock for later purchases (where I used to work.) and even push it everywhere making prices ridiculous. I’m not here to vent or rant I want to see if something can actually be done i maybe more personally upset over this I don’t care what everyone does make some money off your product but when your going over a limit like say buy a couple and re well make a few bucks vs buying full skids and upscaling 4 times the price. This is like a few years ago with the Elsa dolls and a few times with holiday release stuff. Stop paying 100$ for things worth 20, I mean like we all know we all feel stupid over paying for fingerlings, hatchimals, ect ect. I’m just saying I experience it more and more there was even a craze due to your issues on eBay with black diamond Disney tapes and people over selling VHS everywhere I could go thinking their worth something due to an eBay post and now I can’t go to a yard sale and even pick up anything that isn’t close if not 60% it’s original value or even higher and it’s been used beaten missing things to it worn out and not even guarenteed and it starts with these websites enabling users to set high prices way above value. As I said before make your money purchase a few to make extra buy something 10$ sell it for 12 - 14 maybe even 15 but don’t sell it for 25 - 45$ without budging price and laughing about it. We shouldn’t Be taking advantage of each other we’re in an employers world where everyone lives by the internet we’re already taken advantge of by government and corporate monsters we don’t need to snakes everywhere. We shouldn’t put a stop to massive mark up and scalping.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Scalping needs to stop or be made notice of and fixed.

@portersewing_43 wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

BTW scalping describes raising the price of necessary items like water, milk and gas.

That's "price gouging", not scalping. Price gouging is typically prohibited by law. Scalping, while prohibited/restricted in some places, is perfectly legal in others.

And scalping generally refers to event tickets (of any nature - concerts, sports etc)

The missing word in this thread is Arbitrage. But we can't expect everyone, especially those who obviously hate profit, to be articulate...
Arbitrage is taking advantage of an imbalance of price for the same item in different markets. (Basically).

I hesitate to use the word "arbitrage", because that's generally considered to be a simultaneous purchase/sale. There isn't supposed to be a risk of being stuck with the merchandise in a true arbitrage situation.

Message 31 of 61
latest reply

Very true. Although simultaneous transaction isn't required, "no risk" is, but in common use risk and losses are allowed. It really depends on if your economic studies focused in the stock market or retail level sales.
Message 32 of 61
latest reply

If you don't like it you can move to a communist country otherwise there is nothing to be done it's called capitalism and the concept of a free market and supply and demand at play perhaps you should look those up?

Message 33 of 61
latest reply

@jereca-xt11u9wv wrote:

As I said before make your money purchase a few to make extra buy something 10$ sell it for 12 - 14 maybe even 15 but don’t sell it for 25 - 45$ without budging price and laughing about it.

Thinking back on the vintage Care Bear Cousin I purchased at a thrift store for 35 cents around the turn of the century, then turned around and resold here for $950, and the many other things I have flipped at ultra enviable margins, as well as the things yet to be listed that I have bought cheap to sell dear; I think I can safely toss your "request" on the trash heap of bad ideas, and continue eeking out a modest comfortable living doing what I do here and elsewhere.

Also, purchasing something for $10 and reselling here for $12 to $14 would mean taking a loss.  Observe...

On a $12 sale (assuming it is light enough to ship for the minimum First Class rate for this example, and the seller has no store and is using one of their free 50 monthly listings):

Purchase price:  $10

Shipping charged:  $2.66

Total paid to seller:  $12.66

eBay fee (on the total):  $1.27

PayPal Fee (micro payment plan):  $0.68

Total cost to sell (not counting packaging costs and others related to shipping):  $11.95

Profit:  $0.05

And if the seller had used their free 50 for the month, they can add another 30 cents for the listing fee, and that changes their profit to a loss.

Thank you for posting.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 34 of 61
latest reply

Oops.  Major errors and too late to edit...

Purchase price:  $10

Shipping charged:  $2.66

Total paid to seller:  $14.66

eBay fee (on the total):  $1.47

PayPal Fee:  $0.73

Total cost to sell (not counting packaging costs and others related to shipping):  $12.20

Profit:  -$2.20

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 35 of 61
latest reply

Don't take things out on other sellers just because you can't compete. It happens. Like Rush said ' conform or be cast out'. Some of us are destined to be cast out. That's life. Sorry.

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404
'They won't get it all, and they won't have it long.'

'You gotta see those creeps crawl...' Echo & the Bunnymen-"Crocodiles'
Message 36 of 61
latest reply

BTW scalping describes raising the price of necessary items like water, milk and gas. It does not refer to wants like My Little Pony, Nintendos or whatever those little things were that kids wanted last Christmas.

If people want to resell WANTS rather than NEEDS then that's the American way. Too bad it's also the American way that parents will pay exhorbitant amounts for toys that will be chewed or broken the following day.

scalping

to resell (tickets, merchandise, etc.) at higher than the official rates.

Message 37 of 61
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Any item is only worth what someone is freely willing to pay for it and what someone is freely willing to sell it for.

Must be why I pay thousands for an antique toy that sold for 98 cents in 1890 .............

@genv wrote:

@rixstuff

I knew a wealthy Doctor's wife who regularly spent thousands each on Beanies...

{ this is why it makes no sense to give the rich Tax Cuts...

they have no idea what to do w/ all that extra money... }

It went right back into the economy, didn't it?

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

BTW scalping describes raising the price of necessary items like water, milk and gas.

That's "price gouging", not scalping. Price gouging is typically prohibited by law. Scalping, while prohibited/restricted in some places, is perfectly legal in others.

And scalping generally refers to event tickets (of any nature - concerts, sports etc)

What about westerns? 

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@jereca-xt11u9wv wrote:

As I said before make your money purchase a few to make extra buy something 10$ sell it for 12 - 14 maybe even 15 but don’t sell it for 25 - 45$ without budging price and laughing about it.

LOL.

And lose money?

I live right outside Washington DC.  Years back there was the big Van Gogh exhibit at the Smithsonian.  People were selling the tickets for THOUSANDS of dollars.  The kicker was that the Smithsonian gave them away FREE.  My second grade class got to see it for free - as could ANY local school.  My mom was smart and voluteered to chaperone.  Saved herself a couple of thousand bucks AND got to see the exhibit. 

THIS IS SCALPING!

Message 42 of 61
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

And a nother little philosophy I learned from my granddaddy:  You can ASK any price you want but until you find someone willing to pay it, you are stuck with the item.  An item is only "worth" what someone will pay you for it and an unsold item is "worth" nothing.

it is worth something-you can use it yourself,eat it or wipe your xxx with it.

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 43 of 61
latest reply

I drink Starbuck coffee in the morning,often wonder where Ebay sellers get the coupons $1 off,they have so many of them.

Today I was at Kroger and there was this dispensing machine right there with Starbuck $1 coupon and they are almost gone,so now I know,some one took them and sell them on Ebay for good money.

So instead of giving them to the folks who  drink,someone took them to make money.

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 44 of 61
latest reply

First suggestion - use the return key to break your thoughts up into paragraphs - that block of text was painful to read.

As for scalpers - simple - don't buy the stuff and simply wait for the demand to subside to the point where it's no longer worth scalping.

An added bonus is that many scalpers will end up selling whatever they have left at a discount to the retail price to get rid of it once the item is no longer scalpable.

Remember, just because you WANT something right this second doesn't mean that you NEED it right this second.

Message 45 of 61
latest reply