cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing - Where is the Reality?

Background:  Have been looking for a soundbar for a TV.  Shopping around and see a wide range of prices.  I have identified one model and have been searching using that model number alone to avoid cross comparison issues.

Observation:  Prices on eBay are WAY off the chart.

Question:  Are sellers that clueless or greedy and are buyers that uninformed?

So started looking for the sound bar late last year, so after BF deals.  Right now I can buy the soundbar from Amazon and Target (perhaps Walmart too) for about $79.  That is brand new, factory sealed box.

So searching on eBay right now [ and this is typical of what I have seen ] I find 127 on offer.  Sort by lowest price.

First 60 are remote controls or power supplies. That leaves 62

Below the price Target offers ($79) there are only 9 on offer!  Huh?  Thought eBay was the place for low price?

Problem is that a majority of those 9 are "refurbished", New(other), or Pre-Owned

-  of the pre-owned or New (other) listings most are missing something: the remote, cables or power supply.

-  not sure it makes sense to buy pre-owned electronics?

-  descriptions are sparse, thin or non existent.

-  oh and several sellers have such terrible feedback that buying from them would be a considerable risk.

So on offer are 53 soundbars that are priced ABOVE what one can find online or source locally!  Prices range from the $80s up to $188!

What is going on?  Are sellers that greedy?  Are buyers that clueless?

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Pricing - Where is the Reality?

@no_zero369 wrote:

Background:  Have been looking for a soundbar for a TV.  Shopping around and see a wide range of prices.  I have identified one model and have been searching using that model number alone to avoid cross comparison issues.

So started looking for the sound bar late last year, so after BF deals.  Right now I can buy the soundbar from Amazon and Target (perhaps Walmart too) for about $79.  That is brand new, factory sealed box.

So searching on eBay right now [ and this is typical of what I have seen ] I find 127 on offer.  Sort by lowest price.

Below the price Target offers ($79) there are only 9 on offer!  Huh?  Thought eBay was the place for low price?

Problem is that a majority of those 9 are "refurbished", New(other), or Pre-Owned

-  of the pre-owned or New (other) listings most are missing something: the remote, cables or power supply.

-  not sure it makes sense to buy pre-owned electronics?

-  descriptions are sparse, thin or non existent.

-  oh and several sellers have such terrible feedback that buying from them would be a considerable risk.

So on offer are 53 soundbars that are priced ABOVE what one can find online or source locally!  Prices range from the $80s up to $188!

Many sellers on here are not volume sellers and cannot get some of the items they sell at wholesale prices. 

Wal-mart, Amazon, Target and the other big box stores order these by the hundreds and can buy them from the manufacturer at less than wholesale. 

There is a huge difference between the big box sellers and the majority of sellers here on E-bay.  And if you expected to get a new, unused item here on E-bay cheaper than you would at the big box store, that is rarely going to happen.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

@creekcoyote wrote:

Many sellers on here are not volume sellers and cannot get some of the items they sell at wholesale prices. 

Wal-mart, Amazon, Target and the other big box stores order these by the hundreds and can buy them from the manufacturer at less than wholesale. 

There is a huge difference between the big box sellers and the majority of sellers here on E-bay.  And if you expected to get a new, unused item here on E-bay cheaper than you would at the big box store, that is rarely going to happen.

eh, to me it seems like a business decision.  One surveys the market for what prices the item has sold for and at what price it is available at other outlets and then set your price accordingly.  You want to ask for $20 more than buyers can get it shipped to them by Walmart, then one might not make a sale.  Certainly not a fast sale from an educated consumer.  Sure, everyone is free to wait around for 'that dude' who gladly overpays.  It just isn't me.  I'll pay a fair price or pay up when customer service or quality is of interest.

Figured there would be a few that got these by mistake or an unwanted gift for the Holidays and would be looking to monetize the item.    Apparently they looked at "list" price and not past sales or what their competition has on offer?

Then again maybe this is an example of buyers assuming eBay is the cheapest price and only looking at the listings and buying something that "seems" inexpensive based on the listings, when in fact they are over paying?

Maybe I am doomed for being a thoughtful buyer? 

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

@creekcoyote wrote:

eh, to me it seems like a business decision.  One surveys the market for what prices the item has sold for and at what price it is available at other outlets and then set your price accordingly.  You want to ask for $20 more than buyers can get it shipped to them by Walmart, then one might not make a sale.  Certainly not a fast sale from an educated consumer.  Sure, everyone is free to wait around for 'that dude' who gladly overpays.  It just isn't me.  I'll pay a fair price or pay up when customer service or quality is of interest.

Figured there would be a few that got these by mistake or an unwanted gift for the Holidays and would be looking to monetize the item.    Apparently they looked at "list" price and not past sales or what their competition has on offer?

Then again maybe this is an example of buyers assuming eBay is the cheapest price and only looking at the listings and buying something that "seems" inexpensive based on the listings, when in fact they are over paying?

Maybe I am doomed for being a thoughtful buyer? 

You make a couple of good points but I would guess, and this is just a guess, that most small volume sellers don't look at Wal-Marts or Targets prices.

Trying to compete with big box stores is, most likely, a futile effort.

And over-paying?  That is all in the mind of the buyer.  If a person doesn't want to deal with the big box sellers, they might find the prices on here perfectly reasonable. 

And there are many who don't want to give these BB sellers business.

'I know I can get it cheaper at Wally world but I don't wish to support them' crowd.

Price is an important part of buying an item but sometimes there are other factors that need to be taken seriously also.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

If you find one you like, you can always message the seller even if they don't have have Best Offer listed and ask if they would consider lowering their price. They can send you an offer or not .... you never know until you ask.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

Do you recall there ever being a slogan that said you may find it for less on ebay ?

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

FWIW - not every post here is a problem that needs a solution.  Sometimes, just an observation seeking intelligent discussion.

FWIW - Point taken. As an individual, if I was to buy the item you mentioned for myself and decided I just didn`t want it or couldn`t use it then I would try to get what I could back out of it by selling it here, even at a loss. As a business however, doing so wouldn`t be a good business strategy.

I would love to know what Wal-Mart, Target etc. pay for the item in question and the quantity they must purchase to close the deal.

I`m also guessing that if you were to buy one of these from most sellers on Ebay it would be dropshipped to you from Wal-Mart, Target etc.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 21 of 43
latest reply

@mommadukestreasurehunt wrote:

If you find one you like, you can always message the seller even if they don't have have Best Offer listed and ask if they would consider lowering their price. They can send you an offer or not .... you never know until you ask.  Smiley Happy

Or, you could just buy it, ask questions and negotiate price, free shipping and extras after the sale. That also seems to be a popular buying method on ebay lol.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 22 of 43
latest reply

Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@mommadukestreasurehunt wrote:

Or, you could just buy it, ask questions and negotiate price, free shipping and extras after the sale. That also seems to be a popular buying method on ebay lol.

On the old eBay this would not have been permitted, but today, not so much.  What are the lyrics to that song "...These times, they are a changing?" Smiley Frustrated

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 24 of 43
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@no_zero369 wrote:

FWIW - not every post here is a problem that needs a solution.  Sometimes, just an observation seeking intelligent discussion.

FWIW - Point taken. As an individual, if I was to buy the item you mentioned for myself and decided I just didn`t want it or couldn`t use it then I would try to get what I could back out of it by selling it here, even at a loss. As a business however, doing so wouldn`t be a good business strategy.

I would love to know what Wal-Mart, Target etc. pay for the item in question and the quantity they must purchase to close the deal.

I`m also guessing that if you were to buy one of these from most sellers on Ebay it would be dropshipped to you from Wal-Mart, Target etc.

Oh I hear you as that is what I would do with an unwanted gift or a mistaken purchase - get as much out of it as possible.   But isn't it the same thing with business?  So I got caught up in a frenzy at auction and paid too much for an item?  What is my best strategy?  Sit around with dead money in something hoping that someone who is unknowledgeable wanders by in a few months ?  I could be sitting on said funds for months, or I could take my lumps, "pay the tuition," and move on.  Have seen many a trade go bad and the best strategy is to cut looses short and don't hang on for the ride all the way to the bottom!

Interesting enough- I Looked on AZMN and they added a new blurb to the listing informing me that there was now a "newer model" available and showing a price close to that in the listing.  So.... eBay sellers are holding on to "old" technology and are still looking for a premium?  I guess I am cursed for being a thoughtful and careful consumer.  I should just point & pay as it's only money!  Ouch!

Certainly WM, T or AMZN buy in bulk, have lower negotiated shipping and can take lower margins.  But with an item like this, I suspect that most sellers are going to slap a label on the retail box & ship it.  Not sure if that box is designed for USPS handling and with electronics improperly packaged is a concern.  Have seen a few listings that show damage to that retail box.

You are probably right, those with $90+ prices for brand new, are probably drop shipped.

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@no_zero369 wrote:

Oh I hear you as that is what I would do with an unwanted gift or a mistaken purchase - get as much out of it as possible.   But isn't it the same thing with business?  So I got caught up in a frenzy at auction and paid too much for an item?  What is my best strategy?  Sit around with dead money in something hoping that someone who is unknowledgeable wanders by in a few months ?  I could be sitting on said funds for months, or I could take my lumps, "pay the tuition," and move on.  Have seen many a trade go bad and the best strategy is to cut looses short and don't hang on for the ride all the way to the bottom!

Interesting enough- I Looked on AZMN and they added a new blurb to the listing informing me that there was now a "newer model" available and showing a price close to that in the listing.  So.... eBay sellers are holding on to "old" technology and are still looking for a premium?  I guess I am cursed for being a thoughtful and careful consumer.  I should just point & pay as it's only money!  Ouch!

Certainly WM, T or AMZN buy in bulk, have lower negotiated shipping and can take lower margins.  But with an item like this, I suspect that most sellers are going to slap a label on the retail box & ship it.  Not sure if that box is designed for USPS handling and with electronics improperly packaged is a concern.  Have seen a few listings that show damage to that retail box.

You are probably right, those with $90+ prices for brand new, are probably drop shipped.

I believe that the bottom line here is if the price doesn't suit you move on to another seller.  No one has the right to tell a seller what they should charge for their item. 

And I am going to take a wild guess here and say that several of the posters agree with you but they know it is not up to them to tell anyone how to run their business.

People have all sorts of reasons why they price an item the way they do.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

The thing that you do not seem to understand is that eBay is an independent marketplace in which the seller sets the prices for the items which (s)he lists.  Amazon, Target, and Walmart set their prices as well but they tend to compete with online and brick-and-mortar stores rather than with the independent sellers on eBay.  If you do not like the price of an item on eBay then do not buy the item on eBay.  

Keep in mind that there are sellers on eBay who consider lower prices for items via Best Offer as well as those who may consider lowering their prices if you contact them.  In addition, if you keep watching the prices of the items which you are interested in buying then you will find that prices change — some prices increase and some prices decrease.  In regard to shopping on eBay, timing is everything when it comes to prices.  And, from experience, I can say that patience and being in contact with sellers makes a big difference in the long run.  

So, accept eBay for what it is — an independent marketplace — and you will enjoy your shopping experience a great deal.

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Do you recall there ever being a slogan that said you may find it for less on ebay ?

No, but I recall "what prices will we slash next?" very recently.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 28 of 43
latest reply

Huh?  Why the "lecture?"   I didn't come on here in an aggressive way at all.

I made an observation and expected to see intelligent discussion. 

Takes two to tango and I refuse to play.

Good luck!

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

C'mon Coyote -  you are a better poster than that last reply!

Pretty funny that you see in my words that I was telling others what to do.  I wasn't.

But hey, also looks like you had no qualms telling me what to do or not do!  LOL!

Can we be civil here please?  Or is the point wet shoes all around?  Sigh.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply