cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre authorization charges are killing me

Several times now Ebay has essentially  "double charged" as some people have been calling it. It's actually a pre authorization charge like gas stations do, or used to do,  but hotels do it for non fixed payments. 

Anyways this is really hurting me because my account goes negative every time and I'm charged multiple fees. Luckily my bank waves them. Not only that but my cash is held up for a week when I need it the most it seems.  I've been selling/ buying from Ebay since early 2000s and this has only been happening recently. I forget that Ebay does this but I need to try and remember so I can go somewhere else and not get stuck with a negative account. Not everyone has tons of cash in their accounts. 

This is just one more thing Ebay has done to alienate ppl. 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

@southern-finds wrote:

"We aren't pre-authorizing payments for offers"

Did you not read this before replying? 

@southern-finds did you not read my entire reply before replying?

That line was a quote from an eBay rep here in the community on a previous discussion about this topic.

That eBay employee stated eBay was no longer pre-authorizing payments on offers - the rest of my post was asking another eBay employee if that was true and if so, why the original poster and others are still seeing those pre-authorizations.

We're still waiting for an answer from eBay since they've said different things at different times and/or users are experiencing things that don't match up to what the eBay reps have said should be happening.

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

Have a look at another post on this at https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/eBay-Announcements/A-note-about-eBay-purchases/ba-p/2443976 and pay attention to the bold text, which I copy here for your convenience:

While a pre-authorisation amount may appear following an eBay purchase, only one payment will be deducted from the financial institution for any purchases. A pre-authorisation may however still appear on the account up to 60 days after purchase.

In particular the last sentence amuses me and not in a positive way. Up to 60 (sixty) days? Perhaps horse drawn carriages are used to expedite the payment information back and forth, otherwise this is inexplicable and unacceptable behavior.

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

I've got three pre authorization holds from Oct 16th that are still pending in my checking account totaling $108.. its ridiculous...

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

My Ebay feedback had reached 1000 + but in the last year I got sick of the double dip pre authorize on one invoice then payment on another. I went from over 80 purchases on Ebay per year to around 6 last year, never spend over $20 on Ebay because its $40 for a few days until it falls off. Banks  even point out it is two seperate charges with two separate invoice numbers. They advice to use Amazon to avoid this also. LOL.  I cant thank Amazon and Walmart enough for our online shopping needs.  If preauthorize is for non payers why does one with over 1000 positive feedbacks get poor service from Ebay payments. I am not blaming the merchants they have been great.  Ebay is a dead issue around here now. My advice is to use Amazon Prime or just Amazon. 

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

Every week when I order my groceries online the store does a preauthorization on my credit card for about 15% more than the order.

Wow.

This is why I keep telling DH to stop using a credit card to pay for stuff.

We're stuck with it for online shopping but at the coffee house, garden shop or pharmacy? Why?

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

had to say this, it is one invoice ( numbered invoice) pre authorize then another invoice is done for the payment ( another numbered invoice).  I have made purchases with many good merchants who pre authorize then complete the payment and only one payment from my bank account.  Sad the merchants will be the ones paying the price for this. Sure, I still use Ebay being a member since 2001 and never had issues with money in my bank. Amazon  gets about 98% of my business due to this practice. Sorry Ebay.

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Every week when I order my groceries online the store does a preauthorization on my credit card for about 15% more than the order.

Wow.

This is why I keep telling DH to stop using a credit card to pay for stuff.

We're stuck with it for online shopping but at the coffee house, garden shop or pharmacy? Why?

It's quite simple (and for the moment I'll pretend it's any of your business). My credit card gives me 1.5% cash back for every purchase. Since in the 45 years I've had credit cards I have never once failed to pay them in full every month, I've also never paid any kind of interest charges. So I put as much as possible on them. Why would I turn down $1000+ in free money every year? With a modicum of self control it actually is possible to use credit wisely. 

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

Smart move with managing credit and your right, it is possible to use credit wisely.  Not as much as you but I get $500 every 12 to 18 months and haven't paid interest on a Credit Card since 1994.  I just switched to a 1.75% card this month.

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

Can you ask for a increase on your credit limit on your card to allow for the temporary double charges?

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Um they did not stop...

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

For one ignore all the sellers commenting like 85% of cause only reason they speak is cause they are not dealing with it yet still getting ripped off and charged twice..I mean come on open ya eyes...put ya glasses on..processing and selling fee **bleep**..yall get jipped as well just not as big deal when ya are makes it instead spending it. But didn't see anyone admitting the true reasoning but it's so they can borrow 175,000$ from 6000 people every week...make a profit then return the funds. They're just playing with out paychecks what boils down

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 42 of 42
latest reply