cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postage Due

I ordered 200 tyvek mailers from a seller in Florida.  The listing offered free shipping.  The envelope arrived in New York today and the mailman rang the doorbell and told my husband $15 was due for shipping.  He paid.  When I found the package with the postage due on it, I immediately contacted the seller who insists she only pays $7.95 to ship.  I told her this was NOT a flat rate package and the package weighed over 5 pounds.  She just keeps saying that she is right and the post office is wrong.  I can tell by her communications that English is most likely not her first language.  I can't get through to her that she is not using the correct envelopes and that this time, the post office has caught it.  I called Ebay and they said that the seller has to refund me.  So frustrating...she obviously has no intention of doing so, and Ebay says, "Oh well." 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Postage Due

If you return the package, you will still be out the $15.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Yeah I think eBay gave you incorrect information.  They have no way to force the seller to refund the postage due in a return case and if you return you'll still be out the $15 and since w return is opened if it closes without a return basically making it "close in the sellers favor" you can't leave feedback.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Did you pay with PayPal?

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

They have no way to force the seller to refund the postage due...

they probably do with mangled payments, but they probably won't regardless of evidence...

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I didn't use PayPal...I was under the impression you had to use Ebay's managed payments.  I have no idea what Ebay will do...It is hard to understand their reps, and you just keep getting conflicting information.  I'm done...whatever happens happens.  It's just very irritating that a seller can get away with this.  She has a neutral feedback that says "slow shipping, paid for first class."  She answered that up to 50 envelopes she sends first class, anything over is media mail....I'm not sure that envelopes quality for media mail...

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Managed payments is eBay's new system for receiving payments.  You did not use it to send your payment.  

Sellers who are in MP accept payments through a variety of ways including credit cards, GooglePay and PayPal.  These are all shown in the payments section at the top of each listing.  So even if this seller was in MP, you might have paid them through your PayPal account, which would provide the opportunity outlined above for you to file a claim with PayPal for the Postage Due.

Empty envelopes do not qualify for MM. Your seller is very confused about shipping.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Sounds like the seller is misusing the eBay label and purchasing a flat rate label that should only be used on a flat rate box. For a long time sellers were doing this to get a lower price on shipping heavy items.  The post office is aware of this and is cracking down. As your husband paid there is not much that can be done. You still want to report this to eBay. The trust and safety dept. will want to know about this sellers activates.  I would suggest taking a picture of the label and of the box so you can demonstrate that the seller used the wrong label for the box. Then message the seller including the pictures showing how the manipulated the system to get a lower cost on the label. That way when the trust and safety dept. looks into this they will have evidence on hand.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

The seller is lying if they handed the package off to a clerk at the counter they would have caught that the wrong label was used. They would have directed the seller to purchase the proper priority label before accepting the package. The seller most likely dropped the package off at a drop box and the issue was caught at some point during a sort.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@bad*kitty*vintage wrote:

I didn't use PayPal...I was under the impression you had to use Ebay's managed payments. 

Managed Payments is the new payment processing system for SELLERS; that has nothing to do with the mechanism you used to BUY the item. When you were on the checkout page, which option did you select?

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

I'm not disputing that buyers aren't using PayPal for their payments.  I'm only saying that you can't file a PayPal dispute unless you paid for the transaction through PayPal.   So the best course of action is to initiate disputes with eBay first.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Envelopes absolutely do not qualify for media mail.  Sounds like this seller is ripping off the Post Office very chance she gets.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply