cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old eBay address, but seller ignored attempts to contact and shipped anyway?

I placed an order yesterday for a Motorcycle helmet, not realizing that eBay had an old address for me, paid for the order, and then figured out that it was to be shipped to my old address.... 😲

I tried to call eBay Support about this, but was just told to get in contact with the seller, which I attempted. Unfortunately, the seller has ignored all of my messages, and went ahead and shipped it to the old address 😡 anyway. It is now too late to cancel the order, so I am left not knowing what to do here, and any advice would be golden!! 😎

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Old eBay address, but seller ignored attempts to contact and shipped anyway?

Hopefully you get the item forwarded to your new address. Perhaps the seller gets it back as Undeliverable. 

If not, there's not much you can do - it's YOUR mistake that YOUR address was incorrect. The seller isn't at fault, and the seller certainly isn't a mind-reader to know your address was incorrect. In fact, sellers can void any seller protection they have by shipping to an address that isn't the buyer's registered address. 

If the seller does get the item back, you might send them a nice message asking to refund the listing. If you file an Ebay case, the seller just needs to show proof of delivery to the address on your account at the time of the sale. 

I hope it works out for you! Always double check those shipping addresses! 

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Re: Old eBay address, but seller ignored attempts to contact and shipped anyway?

Was this being shipped via USPS? You don't have a forwarding address in place at your former address? Eventually then it should be returned back to the seller and he'll most likely contact you to ask what you want him to do.  If you still want the item, you will need to pay shipping again.

Also, would like to mention that all buyers see the shipping address when paying and are given the chance to change it at that point.  Furthermore, how do you know the seller ignored your message? Maybe they are one of those who ship immediately when paid or maybe they just don't check messages daily for one reason or another.  

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Sellers are required to ship to the address provided by the buyer and cannot change it.  The proper procedure would have been to cancel the transaction, relist the item, and then you buy it again providing the correct address.  Sounds like you requested an address change after it was too late.  There is nothing the seller can do.

If the item is returned to the seller you would have to pay shipping again.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I'm totally gobsmacked by your little angry emoticon. Why be angry at the seller? The incorrect address was displayed when you checked out and could have been easily changed at that time. As others have stated, sellers are required to ship to the address on the checkout screen. The only person to be mad at is yourself.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@nkpina2014 wrote:

it's YOUR mistake that YOUR address was incorrect. The seller isn't at fault, and the seller certainly isn't a mind-reader to know your address was incorrect. In fact, sellers can void any seller protection they have by shipping to an address that isn't the buyer's registered address.

I suppose I should be thankful (maybe) that you took the time to spit on me here....

However, I had not used eBay for a long time, and did not even realize they had an out of date address for me. This was confusing as I had changed the address on my payment source card to the new one, but for some reason the shipping address remained the same.

Also, I did immediately realize the mistake, and contacted eBay Support, who instructed me to get in contact with the seller about it, which I attempted a times, hence this posting.

In any case, I hope it made you feel good to kick someone while they were down😒 or whatever!!

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

If you still want the item, you will need to pay shipping again.

I am hopeful that this is the case, as the shipping was free 😁 originally, so in theory, there should be no charge to ship it again, fingers crossed!! 🤞🙏🤞

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

I'm totally gobsmacked by your little angry emoticon. Why be angry at the seller? The incorrect address was displayed when you checked out and could have been easily changed at that time. As others have stated, sellers are required to ship to the address on the checkout screen. The only person to be mad at is yourself.

I was not as much angry with the seller because of the incorrect address, I realize that was my mistake😖 but more that they did not respond to attempts to correct the issue....

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Sellers are required by eBay to ship to the address shown in the payment. They can’t change the shipping address after the item has been paid for, eBay warns sellers not to . Even though you requested them to change it they opted not to respond to your message and sent out the item anyway. 
You need to go into your eBay account and update your address. Just simply changing the address with your payment provider will not work. 
Go here Account Settings  change your address so you don’t find yourself in this unfortunate predicament in the future. 

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

the shipping was not free

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@zlloyd1 wrote:

Also, I did immediately realize the mistake, and contacted eBay Support, who instructed me to get in contact with the seller about it, which I attempted a times, hence this posting.

In any case, I hope it made you feel good to kick someone while they were down😒 or whatever!!

Unfortunately, eBay support leaves a lot to be desired, and will give you the answer that you want to hear to move you along. They are not the sharpest tool. Heck, they didn't even tell you that sellers are supposed to ship to the address provided or mentioned that you had the opportunity to change the address. 

At any rate, the item is shipped, you have not mentioned if you had a forwarding address, or even if its still valid, which could help you. At this point this is the only thing you can do; wait for seller to get item back, he will refund you item cost - shipping, most likely they will relist it, at which time you can purchase again. 

Certainly, do contact seller and notify him of what happened, be apologetic to him and mention that you will work with him and update your address. 

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Was this a purchase from a seller registered in China ?

A response, if any, would be delayed, and often is the case, that there is no response.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Why didn't you change your old address.  Why didn't you notice the address when you paid. When I ship through ebay shipping, I do not see any messages from my buyers.    Assuming that you moved recently, why didn't you put a change of address through the post office.   Now, you have to hope that the folks at the residence are honest and return the package to the post office and the post office sends it back to the seller.

If the seller is nice and gets his box back, you are ONLY entitled to a partial refund.  The seller should keep the shipping fee and the whatever fees ebay charged him/her.

The seller would need to relist it and you re-buy it and when you pay, you MUST make sure that the address is correct.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Hi @zlloyd1 

Contact the local post office at your old address ASAP ... and put in a 'Change of address' notice.  That way the item will be forwarded to your correct address.

[BTW, you wouldn't have been able to cancel the order anyway.  Buyers can only 'request' cancellations ... no matter how quickly they do it.  eBay leaves it up to the seller whether to cancel or ship ... assuming the seller notices the message before shipping.]

Good luck!

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I am totally  gobsmacked that YOU blame thy seller for shipping to where designated the seller to ship to.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 15 of 30
latest reply