cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandated default payment method - Ebay is losing my business as a buyer

Since I joined earlier this year, I have spent several thousand dollars easily on collectibles for my hobby. Now with the requirement that I store an "immediate payment" method for offers and auctions, this will no longer be the case. I frequently make offers on or bid on multiple items from the same seller.  I will not deal with the hassle of having to pay multiple shipment costs or manually work something out with the seller on a partial refund. I want to pay with Google Pay or Paypal, not have my credit card on file on ebay's servers. I do not want to deal with multiple orders for what should be a single purchase. You have made this well beyond simply inconvenient ebay, and I won't continue to fund your bad decisions via fees from my purchases, and I suspect a lot of other people won't either.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Mandated default payment method - Ebay is losing my business as a buyer

Great decision by Ebay to charge buyer when offer is accepted. Over the many years I've been selling on Ebay, offer non-pays and ghost buyers can no longer abuse the Make Offer feature.

stolarsj
Message 31 of 48
latest reply

This is devastating for buyers and sellers alike.  I have been a seller since 2005 and a buyer about as long.  Thousands of transactions, the system was flawless for me.  I went to bid on an auction yesterday, it made me enter my card and charged me immediately for an auction I get a massive shipping discount for if I make multiple purchases.  Now I have to reenter the card info every time I attempt to bid on something.  Stainlessenginecovers makes no sense, eBay is infringing on the rights of buyers and sellers alike.  Now sellers cannot offer shipping rebates or adjust invoices, or send invoices for that matter.  I thought the purpose of the spendable funds program was to be able to use those funds to purchase items on eBay.  This isn't  about a "smoother checkout", it is a massive inconvenience.  I know I will be bidding on less items if I have to go through a process every time I want to bid on something and I am not able to use my spendable funds.   The implementation of this makes no sense, destroying a process that already worked.

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

It's ultimately a good thing. Once upon a time, drunk driving wasn't illegal. And it's hard to believe now 40 years later, but when they criminalized drunk driving, there was major pushback, and outrage. Particularly from the alcoholic community. Fast forward 40 years later, and even the alcoholics think it was a good idea to criminalize drunk driving. 

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

I would like to see the ability to override this setting by user id.  I know exceptions can be added by ID with other restrictions. 

This way most of the buyers would be required to pay up front, but for a repeat buyer, or someone that you have a relationship with, it would not be an issue and that setting can be ignored. 

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

Literally no other site that I know allows “lay away”, you want it you gotta pay for it right away. This decision far from hurts them. 

unfortunately this is one of those were “one(multiple) person(buyers) ruins it for the rest” 

personally I have the option turned off because I could care less BUT if I was a casual/side hustle seller, I’d turn it on. When someone accepts an offer and then doesn’t pay, I effectively lose out on possibly selling the item while I wait for 4-5 days and it costs me money to let the item then sit and going thru the process of relisting it. 

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

OMG...As of 2021 or 2022 data, Ebay had 22 Billion listings. It's very possible, but not probable, that your departure will severely impact, Ebays Metrics.

Layaway... HAHA... as if we sellers haven't taken all of Ebays policy changes on the chin.

So much so, and after a recent humdinger, which I won't whine about, increasingly has caused me anxiety

over almost the entire selling process on here.

There's a reason a lot of us are on here. Many would not be on here, at all, if we didn't need to be.

Toodle Loo...lol.

stolarsj
Message 36 of 48
latest reply

Horrible analogy.  This change is not a good thing for me.  

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

Well, I have never been a dead beat, and I have 100% positive rating, but they still demand default payment method. I actually have legitimate reasons not commit to a payment method before bidding, or before the auction ends. I have a few debit/gift cards with different amount of balances. I like to know the final amount before I decide which card to use. The mandate makes it difficult because I don't want to commit to a card if there is a possibility that the final amount goes over the card's remaining balance.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

I am not sure what the big deal is It with autopay.

Just means seller gets paid automatically. 

eBay has apparently chosen this as a way to stop deadbeat buyers.

Sorry you are unhappy and farewell. 

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

I have no issue with autopay.  Now only if all sellers were quid-pro-quo and immediately shipped purchased/paid items,  we would have a perfect level platform.  For example, I purchased an item last Saturday, seller satisfied eBay's requirement by printing a shipping label quickly to be able to mark my item "shipped".  However, five days later, FedEx still does not have the package in it's hands.  Meanwhile, seller probably already spent my money.

Message 40 of 48
latest reply

@zanmart wrote:

This needs to be done as well for any listings eligible for sellers to send buyers offers. I have an unpaid item that's been sitting in "awaiting payment" since the 16th. eBay allows 4 BUSINESS days for the buyer to pay. With the weekend plus holiday on Monday, the buyer is getting an entire week before they are required to pay. 

It is not 4 business days, it is exactly 96 hours after the transaction is agreed to or the auction ends, no matter what days they are or if a holiday is in the mix.

Sellers who are so "on the edge" with cash flow that they cannot survive without payment for a day or so, need to reevaluate their business models. The OP has an excellent and valid point that represents many, many buyers who often buy multiple items from a seller to save on shipping costs.

Message 41 of 48
latest reply

My problem with is it that I have to select the payment method  EVERY..... SINGLE.... TIME!  I also pay with gift cards mostly for the fuel rewards I get from a local grocery store.  The way I have to apply gift cards is I have to select the exact gift cards I want to use.... EVERY SINGLE TIME! if an offer gets rejected or auto declined.  Ebay doesn't have a "gift card pool" that you can apply gift cards too and just increase your gift balance.  Amazon has this and it's great! 

They retain the exact amount from each gift card.  I have a gift card with 200 on it and one with 3.77 on it. Completely ridiculous.  You also cannot apply a gift card to your account upfront.  It can only be attached to your account when you are actually paying. 

I have zero problem with upfront payments if ebay would allow there to be a setting where you can just set it up for a primary and a backup and not have to select it.... EVERY SINGLE TIME!  Sellers you could also be losing out on a last second snipe bid because of this system.   A legit buyer has to go through all the prompts and it takes about 15-30 seconds.  I have heard reports on losing out on final bids because of this. 

Message 42 of 48
latest reply

exactly blingfling.  How about requiring this for ebayers with 10 feebback or less.  Wouldn't that weed out about 90% of the issues?  probably higher?

Message 43 of 48
latest reply

It appears that autopay may need some changes they need to address.

I have hear that autopay is still in the test phase so may include other forms of payments such as your gift cards in near future.

Luckily  for me it works great but i do get your point in that case.

Have a great day

Message 44 of 48
latest reply

Same here.  We have stopped bidding entirely.  May as well cancel ebay account that we we've had since 1999.

Message 45 of 48
latest reply