cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandated default payment method - Ebay is losing my business as a buyer

Since I joined earlier this year, I have spent several thousand dollars easily on collectibles for my hobby. Now with the requirement that I store an "immediate payment" method for offers and auctions, this will no longer be the case. I frequently make offers on or bid on multiple items from the same seller.  I will not deal with the hassle of having to pay multiple shipment costs or manually work something out with the seller on a partial refund. I want to pay with Google Pay or Paypal, not have my credit card on file on ebay's servers. I do not want to deal with multiple orders for what should be a single purchase. You have made this well beyond simply inconvenient ebay, and I won't continue to fund your bad decisions via fees from my purchases, and I suspect a lot of other people won't either.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Mandated default payment method - Ebay is losing my business as a buyer

That's ok. The amount of dead beat buyers not paying after making and having offers accepted far outweighs the few that may 'leave'. 

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Sorry, put people not paying is an issue, and this was a positive move by ebay to stop the glut going on. If you make an offer, it means if accepted, you pay for it. 

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Your money your choice where to spend you money . I can tell you as a seller this as eliminated many buyers who put in a best offer which has been accepted and never paid and ghosted me so it is beneficial to me as a seller when i have a best offer. I can tell you amazon and other sites are trending this way also . 

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

When did I ever say I wouldn't pay for it? I have always paid within 1 hour of an auction ending or offer accepted, as soon as I get the notifications. But I can't set my actual preferred payment method as a "preferred payment method" in Ebay's system, nor can I pay for multiple offers and auctions won from a single buyer in a single checkout anymore.

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

That's ok. The amount of dead beat buyers not paying after making and having offers accepted far outweighs the few that may 'leave'. 

Well I'm not a deadbeat Buyer. I pay instantly and have made hundreds of purchases on Ebay. Many for hundreds of dollars.

The OP makes a valid point that as a Buyer I agree with 100%

I recently made 55 purchases over a four week period. Last six weeks less than 5.

Ebay has made changes that hurt commerce, like it or not

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

This needs to be done as well for any listings eligible for sellers to send buyers offers. I have an unpaid item that's been sitting in "awaiting payment" since the 16th. eBay allows 4 BUSINESS days for the buyer to pay. With the weekend plus holiday on Monday, the buyer is getting an entire week before they are required to pay. 

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

@6al_4v wrote:

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Well I'm not a deadbeat Buyer. I pay instantly and have made hundreds of purchases on Ebay. Many for hundreds of dollars.

The OP makes a valid point that as a Buyer I agree with 100%

I recently made 55 purchases over a four week period. Last six weeks less than 5.

Ebay has made changes that hurt commerce, like it or not

Well; this is a site made up of millions of people and the majority are.... so that is the direction this site (and any other 'auction' house, in person or 'online' requires). 

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

@athrian97 wrote:

When did I ever say I wouldn't pay for it? ...

You didn't say that, and I'm sure you would never win an auction and then disappear without paying for it,  or make an offer, have it accepted, and then vanish. 

But so many other "buyers" have that eBay is taking this step. 

So, don't blame sellers and don't blame eBay, but put the blame squarely on those who caused this:  Myriad buyers who are deadbeats and who find it entertaining to play games with sellers and thus waste sellers' and eBay's time, resources, and money.

-

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

@athrian97 wrote:

When did I ever say I wouldn't pay for it? I have always paid within 1 hour of an auction ending or offer accepted, as soon as I get the notifications. But I can't set my actual preferred payment method as a "preferred payment method" in Ebay's system, nor can I pay for multiple offers and auctions won from a single buyer in a single checkout anymore.

Hi @athrian97 

I’m a buyer only.  PayPal is my ‘preferred payment method’ for eBay.  I don’t have any credit cards or bank accounts listed.

Combining shipping with multiple purchases has always been tricky.  I have always messaged the seller before making offers or BINs so that I know what I will pay for shipping.

[No one accused you of not paying.  People have merely told you that nonpayments were the reason for starting the practice of  requesting payment info with offers.  It wasn’t directed towards you personally.]

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

The payment method page on both the accounts screen and the popup I get when making an offer but requiring a preferred payment method do not allow for setting of Paypal or Google pay for me. I can only link a bank account, or a debit or credit card.

Even if you ignore the other combined shipping issues, it does not solve the problem that you can't pay for multiple won auctions or offers from the same seller in a single checkout. It *requires* each item be its own charge and its own order.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

"so that is the direction this site (and any other 'auction' house, in person or 'online' requires). "

Actually that isn't true. When I purchase multiple items off Amazon, I checkout all at once. When I walk into a brick and mortar store and they have a sale, I don't pay for each item individually. When I bid on auctions on GoodWill, I pay for all won auctions at once.

This change by ebay is not "how it works everywhere else"

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Forget about offers and just buy the items.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 48
latest reply

There are a myriad of compromises in how this could have been better implemented, so yes I do blame ebay.

1. Require a payment method "on file" that is charged X number of days after a won auction/offer if the buyer has not checked out.

2. Force opt-in only buyers who have failed to pay on a won offer or auction.

3. Force opt-in new accounts until they have reached a certain feedback threshold or number of successful transactions involving offers and auctions.

None of these are perfect but they would be way better than simply changing how this works for all buyers. I do not blame the sellers, most of them probably don't even know this is happening. But yes this is a very short-sighted decision by ebay.

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

@athrian97 wrote:

The payment method page on both the accounts screen and the popup I get when making an offer but requiring a preferred payment method do not allow for setting of Paypal or Google pay for me. I can only link a bank account, or a debit or credit card.

@athrian97 

That’s good to know.  I’ve had my PayPal account linked to eBay for 18 years.  I haven’t been asked for payment info yet when making an offer so don’t know what info will be accepted.   [It’s still random who is asked.]

Message 15 of 48
latest reply