cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Look out for scammers trying to use ebays name

Scam So. same exact thing to me to but I was trying to purchase a camper from f.b.m.p.and the lady emailed me back and said her husband passed away 3 months ago and she moved out of state but camper is here and eBay is supposed to take care of the whole deal .lol wow glad I seen that post so for sure it's scam 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Report the listing to Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/help/1295340050874305

Here are Facebook's pages about recognizing and avoiding scams:

https://www.facebook.com/help/1086141928978559?helpref=hc_fnav

https://www.facebook.com/help/2374002556073992/?helpref=uf_share

Here's eBay's page about recognizing and avoiding car scams:

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Congratulations on recognizing a scam attempt BEFORE falling for it! You might be surprised at the number of people who get taken by these scammers. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You mean criminals use facebook as a platform for crime?  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It's refreshing to see someone that almost fell for it, but checked first and didn't fall for it. Glad you didn't lose your money.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@deltilogical wrote:

You mean criminals use facebook as a platform for crime?  

Ebay too, they don't really discriminate.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@stire-7985 wrote:

Scam So. same exact thing to me to but I was trying to purchase a camper from f.b.m.p.and the lady emailed me back and said her husband passed away 3 months ago and she moved out of state but camper is here and eBay is supposed to take care of the whole deal .lol wow glad I seen that post so for sure it's scam 

Common scam, been around for years. It frustrates me because I spend hours searching for good deals, finally think I found one just to run into these types. Here's the thing, in order to sell something on or "through" ebay you need a LISTING so anytime someone tells me "oh this is for sale on ebay" or "ebay is handling the payment of funds" I always would ask "please kindly point me to the listing so I can buy it then" and they never would... We'd get into these ridiculous back and forths because I didn't realize they were scamming but then it's like, you need to put up a LISTING of the item for sale so it can be purchased! And if there's no listing there is no sale, hello!??

Hello?!! 

Is anyone there?

Heck if the scammers had a half a brain they'd put up at least a fake listing but then I guess that takes too much time and actual effort... The part that blows my mind is how people fall for this, clearly must have little to absolutely no experience on ebay because they don't seem to realize that you buy things on ebay through a seller's listing. If there's no item(s) listed there will be no sales because ... Gosh, I don't know how much simpler and clearer it can get, you can only purchase things from ebay where there's a LISTING hello.

And no, ebay doesn't handle payment for sales outside of their platform either (although this I can see where people might fall for it, even thou it still involves someone with little experience on ebay). Now here's the thing too... Why would someone buy a vehicle (boat, car, motorcycle) "sight unseen..." Are you kidding me? No way! You need a title, the vehicle and the keys to start it, hello?!! HELLO!!! Don't you want to look at the vehicle first to make sure it was properly represented and maybe test drive it to make sure it starts and runs?

Yeah, it's a puzzling world with these types...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Actually, we have seen these criminals send fake Ebay listing pages to potential victims several times.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 8
latest reply