cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Japanese import additional expenses (help)

So I've been considering buying this figure located in japan but can't figure out what additional expenses i'd have to pay to get it shipped here to the US, originally i assumed it wouldn't be anything since it's below the 800$ limit but after looking at the feedback the seller has gotten i see someone had attempted to purchase an import item from them that was never delivered because the buy was asked to pay additional fees and that item was 300$, which is also below 800$ so i'm confused about how this works and would appreciate any help understanding what the additional fees would be.

the figure: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276277768704?hash=item4053703200:g:akcAAOSw5XVln6oo

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Since the feedback that mentioned the customs charge was in Italian I think it's safe to assume it was referring to Italy's duties and is not applicable to US customs. There's no reason I know of for that item to incur additional US customs charges.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

US is $800. That's all that needs to concern you. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@dustinmi-96,

The negative feedback the seller received and replied to, was probably posted by a member from Mexico or another Spanish speaking country, that has a low customs free amount, or charges customs fees on all purchases from outside of the country. 

You will note that none of the other comments says anything about custom's fees.  Since the figure price is under $800 you will not be charged any additional fees.  You will be charged a sales tax for the item and possibly on the shipping cost as well, depending on what state you live in.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@dustinmi-96,

The negative feedback the seller received and replied to, was probably posted by a member from Mexico or another Spanish speaking country, that has a low customs free amount, or charges customs fees on all purchases from outside of the country. 

As I stated in my reply, the negative feedback was in Italian, not Spanish. So that transaction likely involved Italian customs.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply