cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling a cancel request

I placed an order for an item that did not arrive, no shipping information, no response to communication. Started the refund process, the seller has until tomorrow to provide a shipping number. He just contacted me and told me he cannot ship the item until I remove the cancel request. If I do remove the cancel request, and I do not receive the item, can I still start the refund process again?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How long from the date you paid for the item till now?

Depending on that, I would  offer the following advice:

Most sellers on ebay try to ship items within a day, 2 at the most.

That said.

I always review the full description of a seller I bought from to see what the expected time frame and what they list as their time to ship out. Sometimes I'm surprised to find out they take 3 to 4 days to ship and state so on the listing.

Point is, if they listed they would ship within 1 business day and we are now 4 business days later, or nearing the point of the expected time frame for delivery, you are well within your rights to cancel and should continue to do so.

A good seller would not need to be dragging their feet to the point where a buyer has to cancel.

Now if you are like the buyer I had yesterday that canceled their order 30 minutes after placing it, as a seller I would just accept the cancel request and move on.

Sounds to me they got caught or forgot, and now are trying to scramble.  Not sure if having a cancel request active will prevent them from completing a shipping, but it makes sense it would.

Its up to you.  You are still protected if you proceed, but do you want to trust the seller at this point, depending on the time frame in question??

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

He just contacted me and told me he cannot ship the item until I remove the cancel request. 

@fragile1976 

That is not true.  The seller can "refund" you regardless.  Sounds like a scam.   Why are you asking to "cancel"?   You should be filing an "item not received claim"  UNLESS, of course tracking shows "delivered".  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If you opened an item not received case, do not close it until you've received the item or your refund. Once closed the case can't be reopened. The seller likely knows that. Just go back to the case four days after you opened it and ask eBay to step in.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Ok...

Is this an item not received that has been shipped?  Or an item that has not been shipped, but has been ordered (paid) that the buyer is now trying to cancel?  Two different scenarios here.

I took this as they were canceling their order.  If they have filed an INR instead, then that's different.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

When it did not arrive by the estimated date and I got no response from the seller, I opened a cancel request. I later contacted eBay by phone, and they started the eBay guarantee process. I would still like to receive the item, not sure what to do.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I would still like to receive the item, not sure what to do.

@fragile1976 

Return to the case, IF IT IS NOW "item not received" as  the CS said, then escalate aka ask eBay to step in.  Once you are refunded, find another seller that has a good reputation for selling like items and try again. 

It is advised NOT to close an item not received claim until your get your product.  Read again the good advice provided for you by @kathiec in message #4.  

Yes, we do understand that you really want the product.  From what you described there is a good chance that there is no product at all, and unless you take the appropriate steps (and follow up on them within the timelines) you will get nothing and be out your money as well.   

We cannot see what you purchased to advise you.  Some things to consider:

Price too good to be true? 
100% feedback account.....for buying only...did you check? 

Zero feedback account:  Check where they are registered and for how long:  

Use this link: 

https://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/feedback-login.html

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@fragile1976 wrote:

I placed an order for an item that did not arrive, no shipping information, no response to communication. Started the refund process, the seller has until tomorrow to provide a shipping number. He just contacted me and told me he cannot ship the item until I remove the cancel request. If I do remove the cancel request, and I do not receive the item, can I still start the refund process again?

The seller is lying. Do NOT cancel anything. File INR (item not received) and don't cancel anything until you have your refund. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Best option might be to reach back out to ebay since you talked to them once, see what they suggest.

My thing is, I don't know if having a cancel prevents a seller from shipping or not.  But it also sounds like you have an INR opened for you as well by ebay.  Never been in that situation myself.

That's why I'm suggesting contacting them.  Or someone else here that might have better insight.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

There's no need to contact ebay. 

When @fragile1976 paid for the item, there was an estimated delivery date. 

If the buyer didn't receive the item by that date, he should go to the order and open INR (if it hasn't been done yet). If the seller doesn't issue a refund (or supply a tracking number showing movement), OP can go back to the claim in 4 days and ask ebay to step in. 

NEVER, EVER close a claim when a seller tells you that he can't issue a refund with an open claim. That is a lie! 

albertabrightalberta

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I spoke to eBay on the phone, they assured me they are going to make it right.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Don't take the word of a CS rep😞 - make sure you have hard down confirmation that the proper case has been opened.   

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@fragile1976 wrote:

I spoke to eBay on the phone, they assured me they are going to make it right.

Does that mean that you closed the case (as requested by the seller) and you're trying to get ebay to fix your error? 

IMO, it won't happen.

albertabrightalberta

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

+1 to that.🙄

Message 14 of 14
latest reply