cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item stolen after Ebay Authentication-Ebay won't file a claim with the shipper

I bought an expensive piece of jewelry. The seller sent it to Ebay Authentication - they sent it with GLS shipping with signature on delivery. I received an empty damaged box and a notification I had signed for the item. When I contacted the shipper for proof of signature they sent me what was clearly not my signature as I had never signed for the item. Now Ebay has refused to give me back my money - after being a 12 year customer-and is refusing to file a claim with the shipper so I can get my money back through them. I will never shop with Ebay again and if I were a seller I would not use Ebay Authentication office. This is just an FYI for everyone. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Item stolen after Ebay Authentication-Ebay won't file a claim with the shipper

Item sent to "eBay authentication"...and that is the person responsible by the way. The seller is out of the picture. First time I heard such a story and can't believe "an empty damaged box" is what you received.

Did you photo the damaged box?  If it "was clearly not my signature" how did you get the empty damaged box? Someone else signed for it? and how did you get it? Missing parts of the story.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Re: Item stolen after Ebay Authentication-Ebay won't file a claim with the shipper

If you didn't sign for it, how did you end up with the empty box.

Did someone sign for it, take the item, then leave the empty box in your mailbox?

Have a great day
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Item sent to "eBay authentication"...and that is the person responsible by the way. The seller is out of the picture. First time I heard such a story and can't believe "an empty damaged box" is what you received.

Did you photo the damaged box?  If it "was clearly not my signature" how did you get the empty damaged box? Someone else signed for it? and how did you get it? Missing parts of the story.

Carriers have been routinely signing for packages since the pandemic.  [I assume they found it too convenient and time-saving to stop the practice once it was no longer needed for health reasons.]

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I hope you paid by credit card. If so, file a case with your card company.  If not, you have to file with the payment service you used.   Don't do either until your sure you can't get eBay to handle it.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Yep, I’ve been communicating with eBay. Not the seller. The seller isn’t responsible. And yes, I photographed the empty damaged box the delivery man left on my doorstep. I believe the delivery driver “signed” for it and emptied the box before he dropped it off on my door as there were two packing popcorns in the box but all the rest were missing and none found around my doorstep. I also have the signature they used from the shipping company. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I paid with Amex so fingers crossed! 🙂 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Ah kind of makes the signing for part useless. I don’t understand why eBay won’t just file a claim with the shipper. This is more of just a warning for other buyers/sellers. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

As long as there is a signature, doesn't matter who's and tracking that shows it was delivered, they won't do much.

Have you filed mail theft and a police report?

Have a great day
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Yes I did that immediately. I know it won’t do much in the long run but worth a shot. Also needed to for my appeal case with eBay. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

You needed to file an item not as described case.

You DID receive  packaging peanuts.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

There are two forms of "signature required"....both cost the same as last when I used it.

There's digital signature or written signature....sounds like digital by the carrier.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

You needed to file an item not as described case.

You DID receive  packaging peanuts.

Unfortunately that's not possible with an Authenticated item. Sales are considered as-is, so the INAD option is not available. This is another loophole in the authentication process.

@sio0708 

If you've started an Amex dispute your options to do anything through eBay have closed. If not and you want to try one more thing with eBay, I suggest contacting the reps on social media. They actually work for eBay and are far more savvy than the third-party contractors.

www.facebook.com/eBay

www.twitter.com/eBay

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

The box arrived damaged.

janet9988_0-1703045797093.png

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee-jewelry-seller/

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I sold an item that went to the Authentication program and GLS stole it. Ebay resolved my case and said they are accumulating nightmare GLS stories. Hopefully they drop them soon.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply