cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item sold on another site "right before" I bought it with BIN - Not happy!

I bought a sweater with BIN, and the Seller refunded and let me know it had sold "right before" my transaction on another site. I am not happy with this way of doing business, and I don't consider it ethical to offer the same item on several websites and then have my transaction cancelled. Either offer it to eBay or Poshmark or whatever other site you want, but be fair to buyers and only offer it on one at a time. Really annoying.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Item sold on another site "right before" I bought it with BIN - Not happy!

I am so sorry and I understand your frustration.  You didn't get what you  bought.

Years ago, not that it makes any difference now, it was actually against policy to offer items listed on Ebay on other platforms.  Now many sellers do list on multiple platforms in hopes of getting sales.

But they run the risk of getting an out of stock defect on Ebay that can seriously hurt their selling privileges.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

The same thing happened to me once last year and I just had to get over it, even though it was a vintage item that I will never see again. The seller had a brick and mortar store with the same items they list on eBay. I bought an item and they told me after a few days it had sold in the store a day before I bought it.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@cymba47374 wrote:

I don't consider it ethical to offer the same item on several website

Why? Is it ethical for you to shop on eBay, Amazon, ... to see where price is better? It's ethical for me to sell my items everywhere and not wait forever till no one buys it on eBay.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

It's unfortunate the happened but sellers have to make money wherever they can. If I cross post and sell an item on another site - I immediately take down the Ebay listing - so as not to disappoint someone. Your seller will end up with an out of stock defect because he cancelled the sale having not taken his listing down immediately.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I used to think what you're thinking ... and then I woke up one morning to a return rate that eBay allowed to grow from buyers changing their minds after they pay. 

I end a fair share of my eBay listings because I've sold it on another site. Especially ones that are local pickup friendly. Buyers don't want to pay shipping -- sellers don't want to pay shipping FVFs. They refuse to consider a revised version of want-it-now even though it's like the purest form of a transaction ever.

This is the problem with any environment that picks winners and losers. And then picks them again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

I don't create the rules. I just try to make a dime playing within them.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@xray731 wrote:

It's unfortunate the happened but sellers have to make money wherever they can. If I cross post and sell an item on another site - I immediately take down the Ebay listing - so as not to disappoint someone. Your seller will end up with an out of stock defect because he cancelled the sale having not taken his listing down immediately.

Yep me too - it is a juggling act but it keeps the sales pretty steady.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yes, it is annoying.  That is why I never advise listing the same item on more than one venue at the same time if you only have one of the item in stock.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@ms.piercing wrote:

@cymba47374 wrote:

I don't consider it ethical to offer the same item on several website

Why? Is it ethical for you to shop on eBay, Amazon, ... to see where price is better? It's ethical for me to sell my items everywhere and not wait forever till no one buys it on eBay.

how about list for a short time at one site if dont sell. take down then list at another site, Dont sell at two or more sites at the same time.yes that is unethical

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Not to be rude,but you paid so depending on the site you might have the ability to leave a rating or feedback.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

In my opinion, the difference between you listing on many sites and potentially pulling a legitimate, paid-for purchase and my shopping around is this - I don't BUY your item, find another cheaper, and let you know I don't want yours anymore, so please give me my money back.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

"let you know I don't want yours anymore, so please give me my money back" - Happens all the time...

No reason to get upset because seller canceled your  order and refunded. Slightly annoying but no harm no foul. 

You do not get everything you want in life. Not a big deal. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply