cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item listed as NEW but missing parts?

Is allowable for a seller to post items as NEW when they are not?
The particular instance here is the seller did not use the item itself but removed the packaging, storage box,  and identifying stickers for the item ... then sold it as new.

My opinion is this should be like new at best since it is incomplete.

This is a fairly new seller but I see no way to report this so wonder if it is not against eBay policy.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Item listed as NEW but missing parts?

@chmskis wrote:

The particular instance here is the seller did not use the item itself but removed the packaging, storage box,  and identifying stickers for the item ... then sold it as new.

This is a fairly new seller but I see no way to report this so wonder if it is not against eBay policy.

Not relavent, but I am wondering if the seller actually informed you he/she did all that before listing it. Listing it as "like new" in this case, would still be against ebay policy. Did the listing have mention of missing parts? Did you contact the seller? Possibly the parts were missed somehow during packing.

If you have received no resolve from the seller, and assuming this happened recent enough, click the Help & Contact link at the top or bottom of this page and you will find a way to file a case and report this. I hope this helps.

energy flows where attention goes

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@chmskis wrote:

If the category does not allow for "new other" as a condition field I don't see what the problem is if it is described properly.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@chmskis,

There are two ways of isting an item as new.  New,  A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable)....

New Other  a new item with no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed...

Unfortunately, ebay does not allow New Other to be used in several categories where it would be a valid description.  If the item you have written about is in one of those categories, that may be why the seller chose to list it as new, since Used means something completely different to buyers.

If the packaging is important to the item's value then by eBay's narrow condition descriptions, it should have been listed as Used, but many inexperienced sellers make the mistake of listing an item like that as new.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/contextual/condition_1.html

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If the packaging contained information like installation instructions, or a key code to activate a warranty or get service, yes the missing packaging would be a problem. Collectibles also are often more valuable in original packaging. There are a lot of instances where you want/need the original box, and having it go missing should downgrade value accordingly.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

That doesn't really have anything to do with calling it new if there is no "new other" field

Message 6 of 6
latest reply