cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a seller saying “we know who you are” and “our daughter is a lawyer” a threat?

I’ve reported a seller for threatening messages, though I’m wondering if their behavior is considered threatening per the rules?

The issue I had with seller is that

- I made a purchase 

- Seller cancelled the purchase for “not valid address”

- I asked why address was not valid since I haven’t had issues with this shipping address before

- Seller got angry

I’m not sure what I did wrong, but I am very unsettled as noted by my previous posts.

I don’t do a lot of business on eBay, though I can definitely understand why I feel safer using Amazon or even FB marketplace. 

ebay does not feel safe. Am I okay here?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Is a seller saying “we know who you are” and “our daughter is a lawyer” a threat?

You seemed to have left out much of the back and forth; but if those 2 phrases are what they said; no, that is not threatening.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

There wasn’t a lot of back and forth, but thank you for clarifying that it’s not threatening. 

It’s definitely rude and creepy and a little scary, but I can accept that it’s not threatening per the rules. 

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

The seller used the invalid address reason for the cancellation to avoid an account defect. You can report him to eBay for that by going here and selecting that the seller has violated one of eBay's policies. That will get him the defect he so richly deserves.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

You can respond that you know who is too and also let him know that such a statement can be viewed as threatening and ebay does not want its' sellers to write those types of comments.  Let him know that he clearly violated ebay policy for using that excuse since there is no issue to your address.  Finally let him know that you will be reporting him to Ebay and you will want ebay to read the emails that he sent you PLUS any other email that he might send you.  At the very least, this will raise his BP.  Definitely report him to ebay like the other person stated and do ask Ebay to review his emails to you .     He cancelled because he either did not like the end price or he already sold the item elsewhere and forgot to remove the listing.  

Thankfully very few ebay sellers are like that one.   Ebay would not have survived this long if all of the sellers were like that one.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I have reported the seller. I’m very disappointed because it seems like there’s no consequence. 

I even left feedback about the shipping address situation only, not the weird threats, and my feedback was deleted. This seller has 100% positive feedback. 

If other buyers had this issue and tried to report but are like me, then that valuable feedback I wish I had known isn’t available. I wouldn’t have attempted to purchase from this seller had I known there would be issues or had been issues with other buyers. 

I’m not loving this, but I don’t want for someone else to be a bit scared like I am. 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Hi @afon6861 

I received several 3:00am phone calls from an Amazon seller (asking me to cancel a return request) … so it can happen anywhere.

Technically, you received what I’d call ‘empty threats’.   The seller lied about your address to avoid receiving a defect from eBay … but you cannot prove it.  I wouldn’t have any safety concerns … but it’s unprofessional and sucky.  ☹️

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

HaHaHa they cancel for your address not being valid and then they say I know where you live,,,,,,that's  a nut job. Just move on. She said her daughter is a lawyer  to discourage you from reporting her and they're  using that as a veiled threat because there's no reason to say it other than that. 

Report and move on. 

Next time ask us before leaving the feedback and we'll tell you what to say soit sticks. You have a right to leave it if you paid. You can't  mention reporting or anything about eBay. Some sellers have negative feedback removed if they offer free returns. PATHETIC!

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Probably safer than the sellers. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Meant to say if they know who you are then they do know  your address.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

You can always message them back that you know where they live and your son is a sumo wrestler. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

People seem to always get bent out of shape when their transaction is cancelled. All you can do is report them to ebay for a mark against them & move on to finding it again elsewhere. Nothing else can occur unless you do not receive a refund.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

What I take from this is maybe the seller thinks you are someone they had an issue with before ?  Someone they blocked on another id?  And they cancelled for problem with buyers address thinking you were the person who they don't want to deal with and told you they know who you are. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

It wasn’t so much the cancellation as the lack of explanation and immediate anger from the seller that got me unsettled. 

I would be totally understanding if the person simply didn’t want to ship because I ordered too much or lived really far away. I wouldn’t even report for that because we’re all human. I get it. 

It was just handled really poorly, and I didn’t expect the anger. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@kalyoth wrote:

People seem to always get bent out of shape when their transaction is cancelled. All you can do is report them to ebay for a mark against them & move on to finding it again elsewhere. Nothing else can occur unless you do not receive a refund.

Cancellation
: seller :: nonpayment : buyer.

Rough translation:  Buyers are as fed up with sellers cancelling transactions (especially when seller claims the buyer requested it) as sellers are with nonpaying buyers.   People hate being lied to and stiffed.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply