cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection Letter, Refunded, Item Opened, Help?

I purchased a packaged that arrived busted open with water damage to the box and inside the package itself. We set it out in the sun for a while to dry out the water and set the damaged box aside, given the item was falling out of the package when handed to us at the front office at our complex. When messaging the Seller and sending photos of the damage, they requested that we go down to USPS for inspection and file a claim. We were told that the Seller instead should file the claim and when informed by USPS, take the package down for inspection.

Given USPS throws out the package after inspection and depending on whether it has been approved or denied, we didn't want to risk receiving less than the price we paid for. We also didn't want to risk losing the item in case it needed to be shipped back, given the Seller denied our request for a refund.  A few days later they randomly refunded us saying they would speak with their manager and we never heard anything since May 28th. They never followed up or requested additional action needed. 

After weeks passed my partner was concerned about mold growth inside the box and had opened the item in my case, given we haven't heard anything back from them. We just got a letter today 6/6 by USPS that was issued on May 31st, requesting a package inspection and customer reply stating "If you have not reported the damage/missing contents to your post office, you must do so immediately." Issue is the box has now been opened. I've been waiting for the Seller to respond and heard nothing, case was closed so I assumed it was over. 

I still have photos of the damage when I picked it up from the office however, we no longer have the damaged box. Where do we go from here? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Inspection Letter, Refunded, Item Opened, Help?

Why didn't you follow the proper MBG procedure and request a return using the not as described reason?  The seller would have been required to pay the return shipping.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I did file a return and the case was closed after they refunded me. I waited for a response after they replied contacting their manager and reaching out to their post. I didn't hear anything back.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

To put in full, when I opened a return case with the following damage included with photos, the Seller denied my request to return and refund. They told me to take it up with the post office, but I was informed through Ebay that it was the Seller's responsibility to open a claim. I then was told that USPS destroys the package after inspection, which would void my protection through Ebay should the claim get denied or I get paid less than the original purchase. They told me to go through Ebay and open a return claim and I did however, the Seller fought against accepting the return and refused to give any assistance. I left it up to Ebay and the Seller randomly issued a refund, the case was then closed. Also the Seller is out of Country. Now as I received a letter from USPS for their inspection claim, I'm not sure what to do. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I guess I'm unclear of what the issue is.  I understand you saying that you were refunded, is this correct?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

I guess I'm unclear of what the issue is.  I understand you saying that you were refunded, is this correct?

I have to agree.  Unfortunately for the seller, it appears that USPS has denied their claim.  

I'm still confused as to why the OP and their partner left the thing to dry in the sun for weeks though.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

We don’t know the dates.
We don’t know the condition of contents. Knowing the contents might help.
We don’t know if it were bad packaging or bad handling, the poster said they picked it up at PO so we know it wasn’t on the porch in the rain.
We do know a full refund was given by seller. We don’t know if the seller asked for contents back, but as the seller didn’t provide shipping label, it appears they are taking total loss. I guess I would have asked seller if they were going to send a label or want me to toss the the wet box with the unuseable contents, or useable contents...we don’t know which. What was the question? Oh, the postal inspector.....reply with the truth, you threw it away. Or write the information provided and let them scratch their heads.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@suerunner wrote:
We don’t know the dates.
We don’t know the condition of contents. Knowing the contents might help.
We don’t know if it were bad packaging or bad handling, the poster said they picked it up at PO so we know it wasn’t on the porch in the rain.
We do know a full refund was given by seller. We don’t know if the seller asked for contents back, but as the seller didn’t provide shipping label, it appears they are taking total loss. I guess I would have asked seller if they were going to send a label or want me to toss the the wet box with the unuseable contents, or useable contents...we don’t know which. What was the question? Oh, the postal inspector.....reply with the truth, you threw it away. Or write the information provided and let them scratch their heads.

I arrived at the conclusion that it had been some time since the damaged package arrived from the last paragraph of the original post. 

Of course, I also the second paragraph interesting.  It seemed to me that the OP was assuming that the postal inspectors would simply destroy the package anyway so they weren't in a hurry to turn it over to them for inspection.  I'm not sure that I would have made that assumption.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Since you have already got your money back, there will be nothing you could lose.

From here, you probably just need to follow the usps procedure. If in any circumstances, there is a fee produced during the procedure, you should always as for a "friends and family" transaction through Paypal before you pay it.

You don't owe the seller anything to be honest.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Was there any notice on the package that damage occurred in transit?  USPS will mark a package if they were the ones that damaged it.

It sounds like the shipment may have been insured by USPS?  If that's the case, you should try to cooperate with them.  Explain that you hadn't heard anything from USPS or seller and had already been refunded so all you have left is the item and the photos.... the box has been discarded as it was growing mold....

If there wasn't insurance on the shipment, perhaps the seller filed a fraud complaint with USPS.  USPS takes pictures of items during transit so they probably know what condition the item was in when it was delivered to you.  It would be interesting to find out where the damage occurred....  if it wasn't while at USPS then your complex office might be responsible for the damage.  

I would make sure to keep those photos of the item when you picked it up at the office.  You may need them.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You received a damaged parcel with USPS notes accepting the damage had happened in transit.

You opened a Not As Described dispute with eBay.

The seller refused to send return shipping or to refund.

EBay forced a refund.

You got your money back.

You can't collect twice on the same problem.

The USPS does not appear to have allowed your insurance claim, although it is possible that they did reimburse the seller-- who was the one who bought the insurance.

It's over. Move on.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Issue was solved in another thread, but some answers were close to what I was saying, others entirely off. Apologies for not giving a complete and proper description. Reason I started the other thread. Anyways thanks!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply