cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was robbed! Please help

So I was bidding on an item and placed the highest bid right before the auction ended. At first it gave me the green "You won this auction" banner at the top, but almost immediately I got a notification saying I had been outbid, I refreshed the page and the green "You won this auction." had changed to the grey "You didn't win this auction". I was very confused, so I checked the bidding history and was shocked to see I and another person had submitted the exact same bid and the exact same time (down to the millisecond) and for whatever reason he was declared the winner. This is extremely frustrating and I'm not sure what if anything could be done about it. It seems a bit suspicious to me, but I obviously have no proof of foul play. Here are pictures of my experience. 

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty bummed about it. lol

Also, if this thread is in the wrong place or somehow against the rules/policy I do apologize. I just don't know where else to post.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Apparently the winning bidder placed their bid a millisecond before you. Ties go to the earlier bidder.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@saddestsappiestsucker,

"I checked the bidding history and was shocked to see I and another person had submitted the exact same bid and the exact same time (down to the millisecond) and for whatever reason he was declared the winner".

The bid history time stamp only goes down to the second, not further 10:23:42:---  PST.  The other person's bid must've arrived just a fraction of a second before yours, and the computers hicoughed, sending out 2 winning notices. It happens on occasion.

You could have won the auction had you added a few odd cents to your bid. The other bidder was bidding even increment amounts, and had you bid $6.01 or more you would have been the winner.  I have seen hundreds of auctions decided in the last seconds where a tie was broken by a few cents.  Usually it was me winning.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

When I read the thread title I thought you'd been scammed.

You wasn't robbed.

You lost an auction.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply