cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location, shipping amount

Looking for a surfacing bit on ebay I find one for $10.99, good price for a low quality bit.

On my search I clicked to only list USA sellers.

First thing I noticed was the $199.99 shipping which in my income bracket is a bit much to pay to get a cheap bit.

Thought it may be a mistake on listing but nope I take it as far as checking out and there is that $199.99 shipping.

The seller said they were in Hebron, Kentucky, good for me as I want to buy from someone in the US.

I do a bit of clicking around on the sellers page and click on the seller's/feedback score just to see if he

ever sold this to anyone.  He has and they were happy about it.  Pretty sure that did not pay $199.99 for shipping but if they did I sure would like to meet them just to see if the person was just an idiot or it was pocket change to them.   Then I notice a bit of info saying they are based out of China.  Not surprised as it was a cheap bit and being from china was no big surprise.

My question is why does Ebay allow someone to post what is excessive postage no matter where they send this bit to. And also they are outright lying about being in the US.   Yes it may be a seller based in Kentucky selling goods from China but IMO having a  USA Seller on the pic of what is being sole is a bit misleading. 

And yes I know people should read ALL the info on the page but a lot of people overlook things and just hit the buy button.  I use to be this type of buyer a very long time ago.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Location, shipping amount

@gmintx,

"they are outright lying about being in the US.   Yes it may be a seller based in Kentucky selling goods from China but IMO having a  USA Seller on the pic of what is being sole is a bit misleading".

eBay started helping chinese sellers register in the U.S some do ship from warehouses here, but most either ship directly from China or are drop shippers. All you can do is check feedback profiles, click on the numbers of non positive feedback the seller has received to read only those comments. You'll likely see slow shipping, items not received and items being delivered from China comments. 

Use the info below to avoid buying from chinese sellers claiming to be U.S. based.

FYI, Hebron Ky. is right next to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport which is the U.S. hub of ebay's Global Shipping program.  They may ship from a warehouse located in Hebron. 

"why does Ebay allow someone to post what is excessive postage no matter where they send this bit to".

eBay cannot control that, however, reporting the listing for both excessive shipping and item location misrepresentation might get it pulled.  There is a Report Item button on every listing page

HOW TO SPOT POSSIBLE CHINA SELLERS

Indications on listing pages;

1. Item location not giving a city or state Ex. Ca. /USA, Many places USA, USA/USA.
  2. Extended delivery or handling time frames. Especially, from supposed U.S. based sellers.
  3. Very low prices w/ Free shipping
  4. Using a brand name in the title but listing it as unbranded in the item specifics
  5. American flag symbols and many statements of being a U.S. Seller
  6. The same photos and listing templates used by many other sellers
  7. Measurements that are both metric and inches.
  8. Use of Asian models in photos
  9. Verbiage in descriptions that do not sound like they were written by a person whose first language is English

On feedback profile pages;

1. Country of registration ... sometimes.
  2. Very high volume seller registered between 2010 and now.
  3. Feedback percentages below 98.9%
  4. Neutral and negative feedback sometimes in the hundreds  (you can click on those numbers to read only those comments)  look for slow shipping, non delivery,  partial orders received, and items shipped from China comments, as well as poor quality ones.
  5. Replies to non positive feedback that indicate English is not the persons first language
  6. Repetitive replies to non-positive feedback

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 2
latest reply