cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really hate Ebay!

I avoid this place like the plague because every time I purchase or sell something its a nightmare!  I bought a $1400 subwoofer and accidentally ordered it with the wrong card since that card defaulted as the main payment method.  I noticed this within 5 seconds, but ebay didnt have a way to change the payment.  Amazon does!  Ebay says I have to get the seller to cancel the first order and then order it again with the right payment, so the seller agreed and we did just that.  A week later, I've already received the item and now my first account gets over drawn and the refund is being applied to the 2nd purchase which was suppose to be the right one!  The seller says its Ebays fault, Ebay says its the sellers fault.  My bank tells me too bad.

How does ebay survive in a world with Amazon?  You guys are so far behind them in every measurable way.  The only reason I even ordered this thing here is it was an item thats not made anymore and was the last one I could find.  I was desperate and took a chance but boy do I regret it yet again.  I'm selling something on ebay right now too for the first time in years and I cant wait for that disaster!  After that I'm done with this loser company.  GO AMAZON!  TAKE OVER THE WORLD!  Ebay Sucks!

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

I really hate Ebay!

Id have to buy something again to see what it looks like but Im not gonna do that.  I think at the time I saw Paypal and clicked next thinking I would have some more options for Paypal payment methods.  But before I knew it I had bought it.  I don't shop here much.  I just looked at my history and this is the first item this year, I bought 2 things last year, and 4 the year before that.  The 4 in 2016 were for items we needed at work and they just wanted someone with an Ebay account.

But whatever, my money is finally back in Paypal today.  A few more days and itll be back in my checking account.  Lesson learned!  Im much calmer about this today and actually find it amusing.  But I still plan to delete my account whenever Ebay allows me to do that.  Hopefully they don't get hacked again before that.

Message 31 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

You may have better luck with amazon but about a full 1/4 of my purchases there on books turn out to be garbage.

Message 32 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

I've acknowledge that it was my mistake.  But when you have 2 options, one that says Paypal and another that says Paypal Credit its pretty easy to make that mistake.  I accidentally chose Paypal which is linked to my debit card instead of Paypal Credit which would have just charged my Paypal Credit account and given me 6 months no interest.   I dont know why I keep repeating myself, I guess people don't read the entire thread anymore, but my issue is how difficult of a process it is to undo that.  Escpecially considering this was ordered on a Satururday Night and had no chance of shipping for 2 days.

And as I've said before in this thread as well, I shop Amazon 99% of the time.  If you wanna know why this purchase was on ebay read the thread.

Actually they make sure you are doing what you want with a confirmation you have to do.....so you should have caught it at that point and instead went through with paypal account debit.
They do this because once you make the choice it is done.
You just cannot blame ebay or PayPal on this for anything. They did not make any of this difficult and are not responsible for making any of this difficult for you. You simply did not pay attention when you checked out and now are dealing with the results of that.
And PayPal credit is a different part of PayPal from where your paypal account is. So you are expecting at least 3 different entities to jump though hoops plus maybe even the seller.

And amazon is not comparable...Amazon is a processor and you pay them. On ebay you are paying the seller and using PayPal or PayPal credit to do it

And while you acknowledge your mistake you are ignoring the consequnses are also yours.

Message 33 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

Of course it was my error, but the inability to fix a simple mistake immediatly is EASY ON AMAZON and non existent here.  Amazon is also extremely easy to work with on exchanges and refunds.  They will refund your money before they even receive the item back.  Put the wrong card, no problem as long as you change it before it ships.  Over here everybody blames everybody else.  Seller won't do **bleep**, ebay won't do **bleep**.  Nobody cares about customer satisfaction at this online flea market.

Ebay is **bleep**.  over the years the shipping calculator has never been accurate and then theres the whole what if it breaks in shipment problem.  Thats a nightware to deal with on ebay.  Amazon will ship another one imediately.

And for those of you that don't want me here, don't worry about it I wont be staying.  I'm going back to 2018.   Ebay is like shopping in the freakin 90s.

Sorry for your issues!  But you can't compare  ebay to amazon  because  ebay is made up  of majority of 3P sellers  second market  and private people selling their items  which Mean's "They Aren't Major Retailers  with the stock  to replace  that item " In most case's they  have One item .  " Nor  does any of these sellers have shipping  rate deal amazon has !    I'm sick of having to explain to buyers  that complain about not   getting amazon like service from ebay who's business model  is  second market third party  selling site.   

Message 34 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@carlmarxx wrote:

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

Of course it was my error, but the inability to fix a simple mistake immediatly is EASY ON AMAZON and non existent here.  Amazon is also extremely easy to work with on exchanges and refunds.  They will refund your money before they even receive the item back.  Put the wrong card, no problem as long as you change it before it ships.  Over here everybody blames everybody else.  Seller won't do **bleep**, ebay won't do **bleep**.  Nobody cares about customer satisfaction at this online flea market.

Ebay is **bleep**.  over the years the shipping calculator has never been accurate and then theres the whole what if it breaks in shipment problem.  Thats a nightware to deal with on ebay.  Amazon will ship another one imediately.

And for those of you that don't want me here, don't worry about it I wont be staying.  I'm going back to 2018.   Ebay is like shopping in the freakin 90s.

Sorry for your issues!  But you can't compare  ebay to amazon  because  ebay is made up  of majority of 3P sellers  second market  and private people selling their items  which Mean's "They Aren't Major Retailers  with the stock  to replace  that item " In most case's they  have One item .  " Nor  does any of these sellers have shipping  rate deal amazon has !    I'm sick of having to explain to buyers  that complain about not   getting amazon like service from ebay who's business model  is  second market third party  selling site.   

Well honestly, ebay could make it a bit easier by not trying to make sellers do things that amazon does as most of the time it doesn't work out so well anyway. And not trying to make it sound like buyers are buying from ebay when they are buying "ON" ebay. It is obviously confusing for some buyers...whom at one time knew the difference and had no problem with it what-so-ever. It also sets sellers up for unrealistic expectations by some buyers...as is apparently by some posts we read here.

Message 35 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

Your comparing apple to oranges.  Amazon sells many of the things available for purchase on their site, so it is their choice if they want to refund you before the item comes back to them.  Ebay is composed of MANY different sellers, which is why you find the better prices and greater variety on Ebay.  Many items are unique items so the issue of shipping a replacement is simply not possible~and again, none of the things you state says that sellers, or ebay, does not care about customer satisfaction.   It is, of course, recommended that proper info be entered, but that is anywhere you buy online.

Many here prefer Ebay to Amazon because they know that Ebay has a far better format, with a much greater variety and better prices.  I'm one of them.

I'm so sorry you find this site, Ebay,  so challenging to you.  Most don't have the issues you are outlining and many have bought here for decades.  But to each his own, good luck wherever you choose to go.

Message 36 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

I should change this to I HATE PAYPAL.  But I consider them one in the same since paypal is useless everywhere else.

I ordered this thing on Aug 1st, when I used the wrong payment method unbeknownst to me Wells Fargo actually declined the transaction because I didn't have enough funds.  I then had the seller refund me my money and ordered again using Paypal Credit this time instead of regular Pay Pal.  That transaction went thru just fine.  Then for some crazy reason Pay Pal decides on the 5th, Five Days Later, to RERUN the original transaction thru Wells Fargo.  This time I have the funds and it goes thru.  Then somebody at Pay Pal apparently realized the problem and on the 5th issued the refund.  Now I'm waiting for Wells Fargo to get the money back from Pay Pal.  We might as well still be sending money via Western Union at this pace!

So I'm gonna slightly modify this thread, **bleep** EBAY AND **bleep** PAYPAL!  I'll be closing down both accounts once this is all over with.

I'm really sorry you made that mistake and used the wrong credit card.  

Message 37 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@ilikestuff6969  Thanks for the explanation ... now I understand and you are right, doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what you did.  Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but Adyen will eventually replace PayPal as eBay's Payment Processor ... the thrust is to open up more international Sellers and Buyers to the venue who do not have access to PayPal ... plus it will be more credit card based is what I surmise.  So perhaps with Adyen you would have been able to do what the other sites do from a payment standpoint.

Good point, mr_lincoln, that may very well be possible.

Message 38 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

21 day hold on a $300 sale lol.  I get it (kinda) but what a joke.  I've been a member since 2008, sure I don't sell much on this account but does Ebay really think I waited 10 years to scam someone out of a measily 300 bucks?  Not to mention, my paypal account has a $4000 credit limit so I'm fairly sure they could get the money back if they needed to.  

For anyone still following along I did finally get my 1400 bucks back and Wells Fargo reversed all the fees it caused me so in the end it worked out fine.  

Can't wait for the customer to get their item because I am sure shipping something to Germany is gonna be problematic to say the least.  Can't wait to get all this **bleep** behind me.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Message 39 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

21 day hold on a $300 sale lol.  I get it (kinda) but what a joke.  I've been a member since 2008, sure I don't sell much on this account but does Ebay really think I waited 10 years to scam someone out of a measily 300 bucks?

Of course not. But PayPay's risk assessment software thinks it fits the profile of a possible hacked account. And they're right.

Message 40 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

I hope thats not the reason.  If it were I would hope they would be contacting me to tell me my account has been hacked.  They have my phone number, email, and address.  So lets assume it was hacked.  Average person has 21 days to figure that out?  **bleep**?  I use paypal once a year at best.  But I'm obviously not gonna change any ones minds on ebay/paypal here.

Message 41 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

I hope thats not the reason.  If it were I would hope they would be contacting me to tell me my account has been hacked.  They have my phone number, email, and address.  So lets assume it was hacked.  Average person has 21 days to figure that out?  **bleep**?  I use paypal once a year at best.  But I'm obviously not gonna change any ones minds on ebay/paypal here.

1) Contact you? A hacker would change all of your contact info; so if eBay/PayPal call, do you think the hacker will admit he's not you? LOL. And it takes a lot less manpower to just wait to see if the buyer gets what he ordered, instead of wasting a lot of time figuring out if you still have control of your account.

2) The hold is for UP TO 21 days. If you shipped with tracking, the money is released within 3 days after delivery. That gives the buyer a chance to make sure you shipped what they ordered.

3) As already explained, using PayPal "once a year" is one of the things that triggered the hold.

Instead of having a conniption, just wait for the item is delivered. And then keep in mind that the buyer has 180 days to open a "not as described" case. 🙂

Message 42 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

The $500 payment to my line of credit should tell Paypal I'm not a hacker.  But like I keep saying, PayPal is stoooopid.

Message 43 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

People absolutely get that your thread is about how difficult the process is; they are pointing out that most don't ever need the process and that had you not made a mistake, you wouldn't need it, either.

They are suggesting being careful while purchasing.
Message 44 of 63
latest reply

I really hate Ebay!

@ilikestuff6969 wrote:

Id have to buy something again to see what it looks like but Im not gonna do that.  I think at the time I saw Paypal and clicked next thinking I would have some more options for Paypal payment methods.  But before I knew it I had bought it.  I don't shop here much.  I just looked at my history and this is the first item this year, I bought 2 things last year, and 4 the year before that.  The 4 in 2016 were for items we needed at work and they just wanted someone with an Ebay account.

But whatever, my money is finally back in Paypal today.  A few more days and itll be back in my checking account.  Lesson learned!  Im much calmer about this today and actually find it amusing.  But I still plan to delete my account whenever Ebay allows me to do that.  Hopefully they don't get hacked again before that.

Many have learned how to buy here without issues but if you feel you cannot resolve your issues, then you have made the best decision for you.  

That's the way-show Ebay because you made a mistake.  I understand.

Message 45 of 63
latest reply