cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got charged immediately for a "make an offer" that was declined?

Experienced 20 year eBayer here.

I made an offer on eBay for an item on my mobile app and strangely, it made me go through putting my payment info in BEFORE I made the offer, this is not normal behavior. Normally when you make an offer once the offer is accepted then you have to pay.

Anyway, the offer was IMMEDIATELY declined (eBay should have known my offer was too low right before asking for my payment info). ANYWAY, I got a notification from Paypal that I made a payment to eBay for that amount right after. 

What gives? Even the website says I will not be charged unless the offer is accepted.  This sucks as my Paypal balance was immediately reduced and now this sits there pending. This transaction did not happen, it is not in my purchase history or anything, like I said the offer was declined.
https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buy-now/making-best-offer?id=4019

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Thanks for the lecture on how to use the forum. The latest post on the thread aside from mine was from 2 months ago.

Message 46 of 51
latest reply

@maroliver wrote:

They just tried to make me pay for an offer. I won't be doing this. What happened? I made offers a few weeks ago and didn't have holds on my account for them. This person right here will be making less offers and thus purchasing less things from eBay until this policy changes.

Hi @maroliver! We aren't pre-authorizing payments for offers. You should not see a charge of any kind unless the seller accepts your offer and at that time, the payment will go through immediately.

If you are seeing otherwise, then I would encourage you to contact Customer Support to get that reported. They'll most likely need the item numbers and screen shots showing where we pre-authorized/held funds for these offers. You can black out account/private info in the screen shots, but the tech team will need to see where we actually held the funds on the offers you made. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 47 of 51
latest reply

ebay's just doing this to harvest more money on "holds" in order to try and stay in business. It's just another one of their unethical money grabs. It is illegal in United States for them to do most all the "holds"  and that is why the larger and more ethical company with government and MasterCard oversight for being a money lender PayPal, would not allow them to do these things. They are not holding the money they are taking it and rolling it into their day-to-day business and profiting from it, if they can. They are not very good at making profit. This kind of predatorial behavior is what ebay is currently doing in order to try and stay in business now that PayPal hasn't been keeping them afloat for the last few years. This is why they would not sign the new contract with PayPal as PayPal has a higher set of standards and as you can remember PayPal would not allow them to do the "holds"  as they were factually against US state and federal laws specifically on returns since their own statistics from years ago used to be they knew that the vast majority of returns were at minimum buyer's remorse returns done as eBay money back guarantee returns. So they would be "holding"  and profiting on the overwhelming amount of return fraud that they are knowingly hosting. PayPal actually has to follow US state and federal laws where ebay is just supposed to, but is willing to go overseas to run money through in order to violate or try and get around US state and federal laws because they are that kind of desperate. They are making more money on these "holds" and  return shipping on most returns than if the transaction was successful in most cases. 

With them doing this on offers it's just a way for them to grab some money "hold"  it for a while and then release it back. They do this to multiple thousands of people a day in every country then they are doing this on millions of dollars a day in every country that will allow it. That's Another thing, they get away with more in the US than they do in other countries. Some things they can't even do in other countries that they do to us here even when they are not supposed to but are currently getting away with it since not enough people have reported them to the ic3 department with the FBI for racketeering using these "holds"  especially on returns. I don't know if this is one of them but it wouldn't surprise me if they can't make holds on offers in other countries. The lows that ebay will stoop to stay in business have stopped surprising me years ago. 

Message 48 of 51
latest reply

I see this as ebay getting your funds for even a day For investing your money as it is pending,, big banking business is all it is LOL

Message 49 of 51
latest reply

Hello,  I am so uncomfortable with ebay making an automatic paypal payment before you make an offer!!!!! Why on earth did they do this?  I WAS GOING TO MAKE AN OFFER BUT COULD NOT ACCEPT THESE  TERMS!  They need to reevaluate because they are losing customers!  Who came up with this?

Pc282

Message 50 of 51
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 51 of 51
latest reply