cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get ebay to recognize this shipping scam?

I believe I fell for this scam. Doing a google search, this seems to be a common scam scammers do out there. What happens is they sell an item on here, you buy it and pay it. The seller will delibratly ship it to the wrong address, it could be in your area, to another town in your area, to another US state and it will just be an envelope with nothign in it. They mark the item as shipped on here with a tracking number. The "item" gets delivered to that address it it shows up as delivered. You have no way of opening a case. You can't open item not recieved or else ebay just closes it. You can't do item as not decribed or else the seller could say just ship it back and ebay could say the same too. Ebay does not recognize this scam. I called them to rerverse the case and I tried to explain to them about the shipping flaw and the wrong state they had listed for delivery and they didn't listen. It felt like I was talking to a robot because the lady wouldn't understand. Instead she determined the items were lost or stolen during delivery and I was reimbursed but was told it was a one time thing. I am not able to leave any negative feedback now and it will just be removed. So I won't leave any feedback for the two items I got from them when I bought nine items from them. 

They act as a propfessional business and do all these fake proimises like they will reship out the items and then promising a refund because they say they were out of stock when it shows they still had two of the other items I bought from them in stock. Satisfaction guarenteed means nothing on their listings and buyer protection is useless against this scam. How can we get ebay to recognize this shipping scam? What can we do about it? How should we handle this case when we becomea victim of it? What case shall we open? Or are we just screwed with this scam because this is a loophole scammers use? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I don't think they can send the item outside your zipcode. It has to be in your zip. You need to go to your local Post Office and see if they can track down the item that was sent. It needs to be done ASAP once you figure out the scam.

I find it hard to believe a company that big would be running this scam.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Well, I know I saw the name twice.  There have been a great many complaints about them here, but I can't say as I've ever seen this one.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I don't think they can send the item outside your zipcode. It has to be in your zip. You need to go to your local Post Office and see if they can track down the item that was sent. It needs to be done ASAP once you figure out the scam.

Report seller to ebay when this occurs.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I missed who the seller was, but was it a large, long-necked animal?

That would be nearly impossible for them to do, unless they have a rogue warehouse worker and poor systems management.

yes

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Then I can't see how they are doing it unless its the way I said it above.

However, it seems that they leave feedback on purchase, and the last ones from them to the OP was 'past 6 months', so if this happened sometime this year, they may not have been dealing with the real animal.

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Yes they can. It happened to my husband once on Amazon when he bought me a new gaming system for my birthday. he bought the item from a 3rd party seller thinking he was buying it from Amazon warehouse than from a person and the item shipped and it said it came from China. but instead it went to Lousiana and it showed as delivered and it was a 2 oz envelope. I checked the feedback there and it happened to other buyers too and they were also saying their item was showing shipped to another state and delivered there. 

Plus on another website, someone actually admitted that they sell apple products here for low prices and they will ship the item to a different address and mark the item as shipped and have it showed as delivered and they get their money that way and the buyer can do nothing because they will always win due to item being showed as delivered. If you even do a search, you will find results to websites where members talk about this scam who were also victims of it too.  So this scam does not seem uncommon. Plus you will find posts here about it too from a few years back and it also happened to members here as well on here. 

I wish I could say more about this company I am talking about but I am afraid it will be a violation of the guidelines. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

I missed who the seller was, but was it a large, long-necked animal?

That would be nearly impossible for them to do, unless they have a rogue warehouse worker and poor systems management.

They sell toys and games, and baby items. I think I know what you mean by the long necked animal. 

They have very poor customer service and communication and do broken promises. My husband will not buy from any of their stores in real life because he bought a Nintendo game there and it didn't work and they wouldn't take it back. But he reported it to managment and she got fired but he still never shopped there again and refuses to to this day.  Plus they seem to like shipping items separetly than all together when you buy multiples. They have done it on their store website and did it here too.  I only got two of the items out of nine I bought from them on here. They also used different shipping serices and couple of them went to a none existant town in Washington and it said it was delivered there. I looked up the zipcode and the zipcode exists but not the town. I even took a screen shot of it but I am not sure if it would be okay to share it here. There have been lot of complaints about them on other websites like cancelled orders or items not being recieved and refunds not being given or items coming broken and no replacements were shipped out and no refunds were given, etc. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Then I can't see how they are doing it unless its the way I said it above.

However, it seems that they leave feedback on purchase, and the last ones from them to the OP was 'past 6 months', so if this happened sometime this year, they may not have been dealing with the real animal.

This happend last month and they said it would be 7-10 business days for me to get a refund for all my items I didn't recieve and those days pass and no refund and ebay reimbursed me for courtesy for a one time thing early this month. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

This actually happened to me although I am the seller. A buyer bought a small but expensive item and after receiving it started sending harassing messages saying it was not as described etc. They demanded to return (no problem) and so a return was started. In the days I was waiting for the return to be delivered, this person sent harassing messages daily. They were even to the point of threatening. So the item shows delivered to my P.O. Box, she sends a message to me IMMEDIATELY saying if I don’t refund her she’s reporting me blah blah blah. I go to pick it up and its not there. I started to freak out because it clearly showed it was delivered. I went to the Post Office and asked to speak to manager and he was able to look up the tracking number and showed me a photo (Post office photographs every item) of the item but she had handwritten a different address and taped it on top of the return label but left the tracking number exposed. I was able to obtain a copy of the photograph as proof for Ebay. I was not held responsible and eventually that buyer was removed from Ebay. Without that photo I would have been out a lot of money. By the way the envelope was sent to a school in my town and I was able to find out it was actually empty. I have been fortunate enough to have only had a few scammers like that over the years but the red flag is ALWAYS the harassing messages and sometimes even phone calls. Be aware. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Your husband bought from a third party seller, not from Amazon. So it wasn't from a large company.

Can you imagine the press if a large company was caught doing mail fraud? 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@league-girl,

" How can we get ebay to recognize this shipping scam?   Or are we just screwed with this scam because this is a loophole scammers use"? 

How is ebay supposed to recognize the scam?  The isting says they ship to you. The seller uploads tracking. Tracking shows the item was delivered, and how are the call center operators in the Philippines are supposed to know the item was not delivered to you?

Because of the above ebay's hands are tied.  If enough people report the seller for the scam, they may take action. The problem is most people give up when a customer service rep says " but tracking shows it was delivered, and there is nothing we can do".

If ebay started pulling listings on suspicion alone, not only would sellers probably start leaving the site, but it could result in a restraint of trade lawsuit, being filed.

" What can we do about it? How should we handle this case when we becomea victim of it...   What case shall we open"?

You go to the P.O. or contact them online and get the GPS coordinates of where the package was delivered, you may also be able to get other info, such as package size and weight.  Get a written statement from the USPS scan the document and try to get a customer service rep to view it.  You can also go through your credit card company, if that is how a payment is funded, which might be easier, since they do accept faxes and emails.

Since the seller's name ID seems to have been redacted from your topic, I can't look at their info.  However, I'm willing to bet this was an Asian seller, who listed the item location as being in the U.S..  You have to look at a seller's feedback profile and cklick on the numbers of negatives they have, to read those comments.  I'm sure more than a few people left comments about items not arriving or taking a long time to arrive. 

If a seller's profile shows they are registered in China, then consider buying from them like buying a ticket on the oceanliner in your photo. You may be one of the 756 who survives, but the odds are against it.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Sometimes a company has bad people in the shipping department, and the manager doesn't actually do random checks of what they do. I've seen this before. The managers don't really manage, they just go to meetings and collect a paycheck. Just don't buy from this company anymore.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply