cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop getting annoying offers from stuff I ONLY LOOKED at didn't even favor or watch..

Seller and buyer here.. I don't shop or sell much on ebay anymore due to the annoying things ebay has added over the years.. but recently I did decide to "try" to list a couple things to clear stuff out of the house.. however I noticed when I opened up my browser page to ebay, I had a "offer" from a seller for an item that all I did was LOOK AT IT.. I mean come on! what the heck?! this is so annoying.

The only answer I could find to stop this was to uncheck  "Offers to buyers"  under Communication Preferences in Account settings.. so does that mean I won't get ANY offers? because if I get the occasional offer from a seller for something I ACTUALLY did favor I may or may not go for it if it's truly something I really want but good gawd.. I do NOT want those from something I just looked (I can't imagine anyone who would) and I certainly do NOT want those going out to my buyers either.. It's out of control and now I am rethinking even listing anything again.. it's too much.. 

Appreciate ANY Help.. These platforms really need to get it together and LISTEN to the people who actually USE the site... stop alienating your customers... it's OUT OF CONTROL! 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How do I stop getting annoying offers from stuff I ONLY LOOKED at didn't even favor or watch..

You're not alone every one who looks at an item, watches an item or puts the item in their cart get offers. 
You can uncheck the offers box in communication preferences, but you may still get a few. 
You could always try to clear your recently viewed items as well, that could help.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: How do I stop getting annoying offers from stuff I ONLY LOOKED at didn't even favor or watch..

You can't stop that. Not much different than any search you do, now that 'type item' is showing on every other website you look at, yahoo, email account etc. 

It's just the way of the 'internet' world. 

You looked at it, you clicked it, so you must have had SOME interest in it so being sent an 'offer' to 'buy' that item at a discount- really isn't a 'bad' thing. Maybe someday you'll click on something and then get an offer to buy it for 50% off and then you'll be glad they do it. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

thanks guys I appreciate your answers but I completely disagree with you stainlessenginecovers.. it is the most obnoxious thing I have EVER experienced and quite frankly even if someone did send me a 50% for something I just "looked" at I would never buy it just on principle alone, it's not all about "the discount" it's the principle of the whole experience .. and it's NOT the way the internet works it's the way EBAY works and it's rude, it's disingenuous and it's disrespectful to your customers when they don't give you the option to NOT be included..  I would be **bleep** if, as a seller, this was sent without my consent to someone who just "looked" at an item.. It's like being assaulted... it's unreal! at this point I'm perfectly fine to not purchase a thing on ebay EVER again if this continues.. I am not a fan of having crap shoved down my throat and I won't tolerate it..  For the same reason I don't shop at certain retailers.. the only power I have is my hard earned $$$ and I will certainly take it someplace else. I would rather pay a higher price to be treated with respect as a buyer than this stuff.... I won't accept these things just because "that's the way it is"... for the same reason I also refuse to do "self checkout".  I'm happy to do without these purchases because this annoyance is way too high of a price to pay.. .. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I appreciate any offers I receive these days whether I just viewed it , watched it, or added it to my cart. I don't make offers anymore due to auto-pay so these sometimes work for me. Many times they are not much of a discount but at 50% it would be prolly be worth considering. I've heard they may be getting rid of auto-pay for offers but I haven't seen info confirming that yet, then I could resume making offers the old way. So for now I hope these special offers from sellers continue coming.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

so does that mean I won't get ANY offers? 

@highlander-girl 

Yes, I believe it is an "all or nothing" situation with that preference. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Log out of eBay and clear cookies before searching. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

As a seller when I look at items eligible to send offers I sort them by the number of watchers and avoid sending any offer where there is a 0 in the watcher column.

I have always though these were people who viewed the item and never watched it OR were watching the item and stopped.

I have noticed that the number of 0 watcher items that are available to be sent  offers has increased over the past few months. It could be coincidence. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

thanks @campanaelia.. totally respect that it works for you but for me it's a total turnoff and like I said it honestly makes me immediately want to NEVER do business with that seller. I get that people are "hustling" but it's too much and too invasive..  

@ittybitnot "Yes, I believe it is an "all or nothing" situation with that preference. " well that's frustrating because I actually might consider getting an offer on something that I actually DID have in my watch list if it was something I really wanted and it was something I could swing in the budget.. I guess I will just turn them all off and leave the bare minimum to function at this point. This is so short sighted on Ebay's part, and for that matter ALL these sites that are being so ridiculously aggressive and tone deaf.. 

@simba6 how does clearing out your cache keep ebay or sellers from sending these things.. since it's triggered even if I just "look" at something how does clearing the cache help.. not sure I get that part or how it works.. 

@trailblazer  so as I mentioned I haven't been selling on ebay for exactly this and other reasons so these "new" things are a bit foreign to me.. Are you saying that there IS an option for sellers to send these to people that actually JUST looked or is this ebay doing it? I tried to find it in my seller page but I must be missing it.. but I also have it set to be the simple version not the complicated and convoluted version of seller page.. 
and again.. thanks everyone for the info 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Unless eBay can id who is looking, they can't send an offer.  Logging out of eBay before looking is the first step.  You also have to remove the cookies eBay placed on your computer.  Cookies are not the cache, the cache just keep all the photos and logos and icons to speed web page loading.   Cookies Id you to the sight.  That is how you stay logged into sites.  They drop a cookie and that lets them know who you are and that your logged in.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

ahhhh... ok thanks @simba6 for clarifying that.. and I had meant to type cookies but apparently brain farted 😛 but I would still would have asked the question because I wasn't sure how it worked.. I'll just know now to use a completely different browser to "look" without signing in.. but its probably again something that will deter me from ebay even more as I shouldn't have to work that hard to keep from being "stalked" by ebay.. lol 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

A second browser will do for that. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Simply offer $1 …works for me..😈

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@msha3839  LOL... and it will only cost me $199 to ship... but I get those Ginsu knives!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply