cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did thankyouemails.com infiltrate my Ebay account?

I recently changed my email address. I updated it on Ebay and Paypal. After that I bought an item. I received a 'thank you' ad email that ostensibly looks like it could be from Ebay but I noticed the sender is actually "thankyouemails.com".

My question is, how are they able to tap into my Ebay account to know that I made a purchase AFTER I updated my email address? They didn't send this email to my new address, but rather to my old one, and yet this address is no longer on file with Ebay or Paypal.

Please help me understand how they are tapping into my transactions, particularly now that Ebay users should now only be seeing my new email address.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: How did thankyouemails.com infiltrate my Ebay account?

@element2631   It sounds like cross-site tracking cookies to me.  Do you have browser set to block 3rd party cookies?

Hopefully someone that is more tech savy will come along to answer your question.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hmm, that might have been it. I did have 'Accept All Cookies" enabled. I set it to "session only" since Ebay doesn't even let me log in when I disable it altogether.

I'll try that for a while, thanks for the advice.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It could be the seller you purchased from using a third party site to send post-order e-mails and advertisements. I hate when sellers do that- and it's against policy.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply