cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are ebay's "Offers" legal in the US?

It is very annoying, and offensive to everyone, that ebay harasses buyers with "Offers from sellers", when it is really an ebay robot, that jacks up the price, and then gives you a discount of the price increase.  It puts a sour taste in the mouths of everyone involved. Wasn't this made illegal in the US recently?

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: How are ebay's "Offers" legal in the US?

Who cares? 

ALL the time. Literally everything you look at and don't buy. How do you not know about this?

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Thank you. I will look into that. That will help. The problem is, it's not from sellers. It's from ebay. 

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Stop trolling. Where the items are sold, it literally says "STORE FRONT" on the top of the page. Not a store?

What you are saying is false. Not me. 

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@zoda99 wrote:

@ittybitnotsaid: eBay does not own or sell any product.

You are wrong. eBay sells shipping supplies.

Now you are trying to justify your position on the one thing they may sell, which has no bearing on your actual complaint.  Interesting take.

Still, I don't see how anyone is going to "trick" you here.

Some of my listings occasionally send out an offer if someone watches the item.  And its for less than its current listed price.  But that's all.  I don't have an option to set a higher than listed price and then offer it at the real price.  It just isn't there.  But that's not to say that some sellers won't list their items at a higher price and offer a "real" price in an offer either.

But that's still not in control by Ebay directly.  So....  Not sure why you wanted to die on this particular hill, but here we are.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

Come again? 

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Who cares?

And I am not talking about sellers. I am talking about the ebay company. 

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

eBay 👏🏻 doesn’t 👏🏻 sell 👏🏻 any 👏🏻 items 👏🏻 

All they sell is advertising space and the sellers who pay for that advertising space are in complete control of their item’s prices and whether they decide to send offers to watchers. 

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

Who cares? Why do you all keep pointing it out???

I'm not interested in purchase history. Not sure why you linked that?

Your other link is good. But can I really get $100 million for this?

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

it is merely a selling platform that brings buyers and sellers together.

@tinsoldierunderground 

Yes, the "just a venue" mantra has been used for years for a variety of reasons.  That status may not be applicable in today's standards of ecommerce, where they are now indeed the "merchant of record", and we view eBay taken to task more and more for what actually is sold here.    Though the topic of the OP is related to  more to the "fake discount" issue (see links above in message #11 for an explanation), I get the feeling that the "merely a selling platform" or "just a venue" days are over. 

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/ebay-pay-59-million-settle-controlled-substances-act-allegations-rela...

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Flea markets are legal and have to follow the law. Not to mention morals. 

I get the offers all the time. Loads. Very scammy. Not sure how you are not. 

For the record: 

"Ebay send the offers not the sellers. We follow US laws not your countries laws."

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

"What is that supposed to mean?"

I believe you are referring to my statement:
"If you happen to try to purchase something from my eBay selling ID, you will not be successful."

I think that's a very direct statement.  It's really very simple:
IF you should happen to find an item on eBay that you like that is listed by my eBay selling ID,
and IF you try to purchase it,
you will not be able to purchase it.  

In subsequent posts, you respond to other posters by asking,  "Who cares?" 
It's increasingly obvious that you care.  

But really, I mean really, does any of this really matter?  Is eBay really a store?  
If a tree falls in the forest and there are no people nearby to hear it, does it really make a sound?
Why do you care so much about US laws?  Aren't there legal issues in Albania that might affect you more?

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Hi @uns_ist_in_alten_maeren 

You apparently believe something that experienced eBay buyers and sellers in the US do not.  That is your right … but please don’t expect us to change OUR minds without any evidence.  

I’ve personally never received an offer from eBay like you describe in the almost 20 years I’ve been buying on eBay.  I can’t speak for Albanian buyers, however.  Have a good day!  🙂

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Are you referring to these messages?

"Because you viewed this item, here’s a special offer.

A few other interested buyers also received this offer – it won’t last long. Hurry and take advantage right away!" 

These are offers sent by sellers. 

Sellers are also the ones who set the price.  

What are you getting that you believe is eBay raising the price and discounting?  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 28 of 37
latest reply

@uns_ist_in_alten_maeren wrote:

Stop trolling. Where the items are sold, it literally says "STORE FRONT" on the top of the page. Not a store?

What you are saying is false. Not me. 

Those are sellers individual "stores" on eBay.  Individual sellers set the prices and send the offers.   eBay isn't the one listing and selling these items.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 29 of 37
latest reply

The OPs back under with different username. 🙂 Click on the OP username and read their past post. The OP just wants to argue with what anyone says so is a big waste of time even replying. 

Have a nice day! 

Message 30 of 37
latest reply