cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got empty Amazon package from reseller. What now??

I ordered some buffing wheels from someone listed as a US seller. I received an empty Amazon package with one side completely opened up. I filed an "Item arrived damaged" report. Now, seller (who is in Malaysia) has sent a return label and asked me to return the item to Amazon. Problem is, there's nothing to return! If I return the empty package, I'll be on the hook for the loss. The Post Office didn't tag the package as damaged, so I'm out of luck there. What are my options at this point?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The problem is solved. I had already contacted the seller letting them know what was going on. They told me that they were looking into it. I explained to them that since they were advertising themselves as a US seller when they were in Malaysia they were probably violating eBay policy. Also, that they were probably misusing their Amazon prime account in a way that Amazon would not approve of.  Next thing I know, they had refunded my entire purchase price.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sounds like your item was "Not as described" and not "Arrived damaged". From what you've said, it was described as "buffing wheels" and what you received was "open empty box". You may have eliminated most of your options by using (what I believe to be) the wrong reason in your request.

From what I've read on these boards, the eBay social media teams might be able to guide you best on what, if anything, can be done - either Facebook or Twitter. 

https://www.facebook.com/ebay

https://twitter.com/askebay

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@doctortrombone,

Was the package delivered by the USPS or through Amazon's FBA?  If it was through Amazon maybe you should have contacted your seller and told them what happened.   You should have photographed the box in the condition it was received and claimed damaged in shipping items fell out. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The problem is solved. I had already contacted the seller letting them know what was going on. They told me that they were looking into it. I explained to them that since they were advertising themselves as a US seller when they were in Malaysia they were probably violating eBay policy. Also, that they were probably misusing their Amazon prime account in a way that Amazon would not approve of.  Next thing I know, they had refunded my entire purchase price.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Tagging youself as the accepted solution was wrong..

Many sellers store their items in an Amazon warehouse and Amazon pulls, packs and ships to the seller's buyer.  (Amazon Fulfillment)  That is not against policy, therefore you were out of line telling the seller they were probably violating policy.

The proper procedure is to return the empty package.  Box it up and put the return label on it and mail it back to Amazon. When tracking shows delivered you get a refund.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I'm not going to mark responses as helpful when they are not helpful. As usual, posting on this board gets me nothing but grief. People tell me what they think I should have done instead of what they think I should do. They make assumptions about the situation, and give advice that simply does not work. In this case, we are talking about a seller in Malaysia who uses Amazon prime to send orders to people with an extra amount tacked on. You can see the issues that this brings up. I was trying to do business with an eBay seller, not Amazon. I should not have to negotiate with Amazon if I am purchasing things on eBay.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Fair enough, just not really the 'done' thing to mark your own answer as a solution, espcially as fab said, no law broken if they are using Amazon fulfilment, you just assumed you were correct.

Another buyer may see this as a solution to a similar issue, when in realaity threatening a seller is not a solution to anything.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

We get nothing from rankings here.  I don't understand why you're whining that the OP didn't mark someone else's answer as the solution.  

It's OP's post, they can do as they want.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply