cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another buyer bought my item

myself and the seller came to an agreement to buy this item on a certain date which we agreed the seller posted this on eBay reserved with my name on another buyer had bought this under my name??? What can I do???

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

There isn't anything that YOU can do. The seller could have cancelled the transaction but apparently they wanted the sale more than a promise. Try looking for the item with a better seller that will keep their word. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I doubt they have bought anything under your name - and the seller most likely did not even realise it was not you.

Always best to wait until you have the money to BIN or organise a safe delivery to a friend if you were going to be away when delivery would have been made.

eBay not have any facility for 'lay-away' 

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

When I'm doing a special order, I don't list the item until the buyer tells me they're ready. 

Then I use a title like "listing for buyer XXX"  No description and a picture of my (dead) lawn.  

I send the buyer the listing number and wait for the ca-ching.  

Never had anyone swoop though.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Too late now!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@cinderellcinder0,

Your seller goofed and revised the listing title without ending it, and scheduling it to start again on the agreed upon date.  Another buyer came along and scooped it up, and there is nothing you or the seller can do about it.  If the seller cancels the transaction, they get a defect on their account and may also have to pay the seller fees and a refund fee.  The seller did try to work with you, but probably was not experienced enough to know how to set up the private listing properly.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

There isn't anything that YOU can do. The seller could have cancelled the transaction but apparently they wanted the sale more than a promise. Try looking for the item with a better seller that will keep their word. Best of luck to you....

The seller did not have a valid reason to cancel the transaction. eBay does not have any way for sellers to reserve an item for a specific buyer; there is no actual way to implement  "the seller posted this on eBay reserved with my name".  The option for setting up private listings with pre-approved buyers was dropped many years ago.  Anybody can purchase any listing (unless they're specifically blocked by location, BBL, strikes, etc.)

Rather than messing with cute listing titles or vague listing content (which are demonstrably not effective), IMHO it's better to set up a fixed price listing with an inflated asking price, Immediate Payment Required, and "Best offer".  Then your chosen buyer can send you an offer for the agreed-upon amount.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

There is a certain amount of risk when this is done 

Nothing at all wrong with doing it that way of course

But

buyer (as in your case ) does not see it before other buyers view it and decide they want it so they buy it

You have been given good advice 

They cancel but will get the defect so i would not count on it 

Contact the seller 

Good luck

Message 8 of 8
latest reply