cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback

We have bought and sold over 2000 items.  About 10% of all buyers and sellers (probably  mostly buyers) don't either have time or just plain forgot to leave feedback.  Is there any way to mandate some sort of response in this matter?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Feedback

@thedieselofdoowop,

Since you both buy and sell on the same ID, your feedback numbers will continue to grow.  You may receive less as a percentage as a seller, but if you were to receive a negative it would mostly be mitigated by the positives you receive as a buyer and not hurt your percentage by much. 

As all of the others have said one way or another, mandated feedback could have unintended consequences. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@thedieselofdoowop 

Feedback is voluntary, no one has to leave it. 

No news (feedback) is good news. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I certainly don't want a "mandate" that I leave or receive feedback! 

In fact, over the years, I've seen cases in which (apparently) sellers hounded buyers for feedback and what they got in return was a big red donut with a comment along the lines of, "Here's the feedback you bugged me for! Are you happy?" 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

So I just had an experience that may make you think twice about that mandate. Purchased an item, on the last estimated delivery date the label had been printed but no acceptance scan. So I messaged the seller to inquire about the status. She responded that she'd been busy and was mailing it that day, which she did. I received it four days later, missing something that was supposed to be included. I messaged her once again, and she promised to get the missing item in the mail, which she did. So the purchase was both late and incomplete, but after prodding the seller came through.

There was absolutely no way I could give positive feedback for the transaction. It didn't rise to that level. But I didn't feel it warranted a neg or neutral, so I left no feedback. Had I been mandated to leave feedback, it would have been a neg or neutral.

Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

90% of your transactions get some feedback?
Wow!

I understand the average is about 40% mostly left by sellers.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

75% or more of my buyers don't leave feedback. I have enough feedback. I don't care if they leave any.

Most sellers leave feedback for me.

As a buyer, I leave feedback if all went as it should.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I've had some doosies.

I won an auction. The seller advertised one of the 15-20 coins as being year 18XX. That year was a GOOD key date. I get the coin and it's 18YY. The difference in value was like $60 vs $15. Now... is the date harder to read, yes, impossible, no. Oh, mind you, this seller had already reminded me multiple times both by message and note in the package to leave feedback. Did I tell the seller the date was wrong? Yes. Could he really do anything about it? No. He even whined a bit about "there goes my 100% feedback" assuming i would leave a negative.

This guy did almost everything to P me off. Bug me about feedback, send wrong coin, ARGUED WITH ME ABOUT DATE BY THE WAY, made comments about how he cant partial refund because he needs to be savvy about money, and whine about this impacting his feedback score after he made a mistake. (OH...DID I MENTION AT LEAST 1 OTHER COIN WAS ALSO BLATANTLY FALSELY ADVERTISED!!!! No simple mistake on that one at all)

I didnt return or request refund because i wanted the rest of the coins and I got a pretty good deal...even with his 2 mistakes and misadvertising...I got a steal of a deal. So in the end I didnt leave any feedback. I wanted to leave a negative so bad...and you know, i watched to see if he listed/sold anything  else, and be hasnt. If he starts selling again i may leave the negative. But i didnt. Mandate me, and it wouldve gotten ugly.

I had every reason to give a negative...i refrained.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

With 1999 FB, what do you figure 2000 would get you?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

You do NOT want mandatory feedback.  Several years back I contacted people about leaving feedback.  I found that they either neither replied or ended up telling me about a problem they had with the order.  I realized it was better to let those leave feedback who wanted to.   Your feedback number is plenty high enough for people to feel comfortable purchasing items from you, and honestly I don't think many people care to much about that when purchasing these days.  Negative feedback might stop someone from buying, but a high number of feedback doesn't do much.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@thedieselofdoowop,

Since you both buy and sell on the same ID, your feedback numbers will continue to grow.  You may receive less as a percentage as a seller, but if you were to receive a negative it would mostly be mitigated by the positives you receive as a buyer and not hurt your percentage by much. 

As all of the others have said one way or another, mandated feedback could have unintended consequences. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Feedback is and always has been voluntary on eBay.  Both buyers and sellers are free to leave it or not as they see fit.  Since 2008 sellers have only been permitted to leave positive feedback for buyers or none at all.  Many sellers have simply chosen the latter option.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 11
latest reply