cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback or Lack of

I'm a buyer who pays immediately. Why do sellers expect the buyer to provide positive feedback before they will?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Feedback or Lack of

I leave feedback usually immediately for cheapie sales.

For high end sales I prefer buyer to leave feedback first...so I know everything is OK...otherwise, if buyer is not happy but I leave a "great buyer" feedback first before buyer and buyer leaves me a "negative feedback"...it kind of knocks out buyer is not a "great buyer"....but I already left feedback.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Just a few reasons (although I just do it automatically which is just one thing I don't have to deal with)

1.) because buyers leaving feedback tells the seller that 

a.) you are ok with the item

b.) the item got there

2.) Just because a buyer pays does NOT make the 'transaction' fantastic! 

a.) what if a buyer returns it?

b.) what if a buyer leaves unwarranted negative feedback?

c.) what if a buyer opens a return for a falsified reason and ships back a Rock?

d.) what if the buyer opens a 'charge back' with their credit card company?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Feedback just needs to go away.   eBay has protection in place so it's as outdated as the sport of fox tossing.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I leave feedback for the buyer  when the item ships.

As a buyer.........................  why do you need feedback?

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

When I buy, I do look at feedback.  Money isn’t the only thing I’m concerned about losing.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@4bigpink,

"I'm a buyer who pays immediately".

Very good, you've fulfilled the minimum requirement expected of you as a buyer. Do you need a thank you from a stranger for doing that? 

"Why do sellers expect the buyer to provide positive feedback before they will?"

Who is the first to know if a transaction was a good one, the seller who shipped the package or the buyer who received it?  I'm not going to count your feedback left for buyers, but if you left feedback first as a seller, how many were reciprocated?  You received 130 feedback for selling, is that how many items you actually sold, as your selling feedback suggests or did you sell more?

Buyers who are protected by the Money Back Guarantee can only receive positive feedback. Sellers, who can receive negative neutral and positive feedback basically have no protections against scam buyers, who may do the things posted by stainlessenginecovers and more they didn't post.  

Sellers are judged by the feedback they receive, buyers by the feedback they leave. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

You know all this, so just a reminder:

Feedback is optional for either party in a transaction.  Neither is required to leave it.

It does not matter, in the grand scheme of things who leaves it first.  

Buyers can only be given positive feedback.

You have 546 feedback.  Seems like that would be enough to ensure your reliability to any seller.  

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@4bigpink wrote:

Why do sellers expect the buyer to provide positive feedback before they will?

Feedback is yesterdays news. Ignored by many sellers and buyers alike. Except for revenge feedback which benefits no one.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

When I was selling here, I always left positive feedback for the buyer when the item was shipped. I see it as no different than a clerk at a B&M store telling a customer 'Thanks!"

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Hi @4bigpink 

Because buyers are the first to know whether the transaction is successful.

[Also, only buyers can choose which feedback to leave.  Sellers can just leave positive feedback … or nothing.]

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Feedback just needs to go away.   eBay has protection in place so it's as outdated as the sport of fox tossing.

Plus 1!  
They should go straight to a single 5 star system.  
Buyers just choose ONE and the seller never knows which buyer left feedback

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

You know all this, so just a reminder:

Feedback is optional for either party in a transaction.  Neither is required to leave it.

It does not matter, in the grand scheme of things who leaves it first.  

Buyers can only be given positive feedback.

You have 546 feedback.  Seems like that would be enough to ensure your reliability to any seller.  

It does not matter?   Sure seems to matter a Great Deal to eBay.
eBay has spent tons revamping the feedback. How it's shown to others, you can now write a short novel for feedback, you can now add pictures, and more.
ALL this for something that doesn't matter?
ALL this AND, You gotta know...feedback issues make up most of eBay's complaints with most of their customer support dealing with feedback issues non stop.

I'm going to venture out there and say it means something to the great intelligence that finds and displays search results.   

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

eBay has spent tons revamping the feedback. How it's shown to others, you can now write a short novel for feedback, you can now add pictures, and more.
ALL this for something that doesn't matter?

@redlinear 

Plenty of us have been wondering about that....all that time and resources spent on a system that is one sided and does not allow the truth to be told anyway.  There are far worse problems on eBay than the "feedback" display which now requires an extra step to actually view, and the results skewed by a "most relevant" sort.   

Buyer IDs can only receive a positive review.  Getting 10 or a 1000 reviews will never change your 100%.  Good buyers and the biggest buyer scam artists on the site have the exact  same 100%.  We can no longer see what a buyer purchased for that green donut review either.  Was it for a $1000 item, or a cheap trinket for $5.99?  Did they "buy" 10 of the latest I Phones, and file phony claims on all of them?  

Yes, you can add pictures and paragraph responses, but until a seller is allowed to tell the truth there isn't really any incentive to participate at all. 

As a buyer I don't care if I ever get another feedback.  Actually, you have to sell to me anyway or face the consequences.  I am buying products, not green donuts. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@4bigpink,

There is not one thing a buyer can do, that will harm a seller unless they pay for an item.  So what you have is Payment required, Feedback optional.

@redlinear,

"They should go straight to a single 5 star system.
Buyers just choose ONE and the seller never knows which buyer left feedback".

For awhile ebay did have a 5 star system, but it was terribly flawed. A 3 star rating which should be considered a neutral and not count against a seller's percentage, was actually a negative.  If a seller received all 4 star ratings, they were considered to be below standard and could be sanctioned or become NARU.   You were probably selling back in those days and should remember how ebay messed that one up.  

If a seller wasn't allowed to know who left a rating, what good would the BBL be?  For me since my listings are 99% auctions, I want to have the option to check a buyer's feedback left, and bid retractions, so I can avoid possible issues and/or use the BBL.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 15 of 24
latest reply