cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay suddenly charging sales tax on coin purchases in Pennsylvania

Ebay has suddenly started trying to illegally collect sales tax on Coin/Numismatic purchases that are being sent to the state of Pennsylvania. 

https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/FormsforBusinesses/SUT/Documents/rev-717.pdf

Directly from Pennsylvania's website, page 33, coins are a NON-TAXABLE item. This needs to be rectified. This is not an issue of needing an exemption certificate, these items plain and simple should not be taxed. I don't know what ebay has done, but I would also like to make sure I get refunded the tax I paid today on goods that are in fact, non-taxable. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Ebay suddenly charging sales tax on coin purchases in Pennsylvania

This is something you are probably going to have to take up directly with eBay. You may want to start by opening a chat session with customer support or contacting them through social media. Those seem to be the only to support venues that are working at the moment. I would not expect a quick fix this will probably require a software change. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If you believe that eBay has incorrectly collected sales tax for your state, I would advise contacting your state's department of revenue and reporting the details to them.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Does anyone know how to get an Ebay rep to look at this? I contacted customer service via chat, but this is a problem that needs fixed ASAP. Ebay never refunded the taxes I paid on items earlier this year that were unlawfully collected, then the fixed the problem, and now the problem is back. This is utterly ridiculous. 

sheila@ebay 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

There have been some posts that indicate that the "category that items are listed in" can sometimes cause sales tax to be collected when it does not/should apply. Not sure if that is a factor in your case.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It is not the case here unfortunately or I would completely understand. These are all coins that are listed in the correct categories, and it is an intermittent problem (I go to purchase some items, and no tax to be collected, and others it tries to collect tax). No rhyme or reason to it. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

and what categories are you putting these listings in: or purchasing items from??

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I am purchasing them from the coins category on Ebay. They are listed correctly, and are a non taxable good in Pennsylvania. Still no refund for the taxes that were fraudulently collected.  To be clear the most recent item I was taxed on was US-coins, Quarters, Standing liberty quarters. Correctly listed, and non taxable in my state. It's not like it was listed in sporting goods or something bizarre like that. I'm not an idiot @donsdetour. Also see the post above yours. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@zsrc wrote:

I am purchasing them from the coins category on Ebay. They are listed correctly, and are a non taxable good in Pennsylvania. Still no refund for the taxes that were fraudulently collected.  To be clear the most recent item I was taxed on was US-coins, Quarters, Standing liberty quarters. Correctly listed, and non taxable in my state. It's not like it was listed in sporting goods or something bizarre like that. I'm not an idiot @donsdetour. Also see the post above yours. 

How much did shipping cost??

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Chiming in to report that multiple threads here are alleging taxes being charged or way overcharged for different types of items on ebay, and they haven't seemed to address it. I was being charged 33% on batteries instead of the normal 8%.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

There charging Ohio sales tax on Bullion coin sales  fraudulently  as Ohio sales tax on Bullion coins was repealed early this year

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

This is a post from Dec 2020

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply