cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay refuses to protect buyers for lost packages

hyhswdnr
Adventurer

I placed an order on 06/01 and the seller shipped the product out via USPS. USPS showed it was delivered while I didn't receive the package at all. I opened a case for it on 06/09/2018 and explained what happened. However, ebay closed the case on 06/19 saying that since the tracking information shows that the item was delivered, I can't get my refund. Although the product was very cheap (<$10), ebay's behavior is really disgusting and I don't know what I can do besides opening a case via BBB .

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ebay refuses to protect buyers for lost packages

Did you contact your local post office?  They will know who your carrier was on the date of "delivery".  Thay can speak to that carrier and inquire on where that package was actually scanned ( the USPS scanners have GPS).  Speak to the supervisor of delivery or the post master.  Also, check with your neighbors.  You can also fill a claim w/ USPS on line.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

It’s not ebays responsibility to provide protection for this. Postal insurance, homeowners insurance.....they cover loss and theft. You need to contact the PO and find out where the package was delivered and try to retrieve it. If you discover it was shipped to the wrong address, you would have a case against the seller but as of right now, you don’t. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

"I opened a case for it on 06/09/2018 and explained what happened."

So -- what happened?

If you do not provide members of the eBay community with your explanation of what happened, how do you expect the members of the community to understand your problem?  Given what you have told us, we can only assume that the seller provided the USPS tracking number, which had indicated that the item was proven to have been delivered.

So -- what happened?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

This is just my opinion i’m on here looking for an Answer also, but if you look at it from sellers point of view, they sent package and it says delivered. You say you didnt receive it but who is eBay supposed to find more credible you or USPS. It seems to me you should be taking it up at the post office since they’re the ones that said it was delivered
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Thanks all for your opionions. Based on my former roommate's experience, calling USPS usually doesn't help. Anyway, I will try my luck.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I told ebay everything about the transaction: I provided the correct address and the seller tried shipping it to my address. USPS said it was delivered but neither my roommate nor I received the package. That's all I could provide.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@hyhswdnr wrote:

Thanks all for your opionions. Based on my former roommate's experience, calling USPS usually doesn't help. Anyway, I will try my luck.

If this is happening often, you may wish to consider having items possibly shipped with signature at delivery.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@hyhswdnr,

"Based on my former roommate's experience, calling USPS usually doesn't help. Anyway, I will try my luck."

If you purchased the item on the 1st, did it take until the 9th for tracking to show delivery? Why did you wait until today to contact the USPS?  Did you contact the seller to let them know the package had gone missing? 

The sooner after a package goes missing the better the chances of recovery.  By now the carrier has long forgotten what packages were delivered where on the 9th.  However, the GPS coordinates of the scan could show if the package was delivered to your residence or not.  You can ask the USPS for the delivery coordinates.  If packages go missing in your area on a regular basis, you can have them held at your local P.O. for pick up, or schedule them for delivery on a day when you will be home.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@hyhswdnr wrote:

I told ebay everything about the transaction: I provided the correct address and the seller tried shipping it to my address. USPS said it was delivered but neither my roommate nor I received the package. That's all I could provide.

eBay doesn’t cover you when the tracking shows delivered. Think about it for a minute. If eBay ignored USPS tracking showing the item was delivered, then everyone could simply file a case with eBay and get their money back. eBay would have gone out of business years ago if that was how things worked here. It’s up to you to have a safe place to receive mail. It sounds like you or your roommate has had problems with mail delivery so maybe it’s time for a PO box? 

And you don’t need to call usps. You need to go down to the post office in person and request the delivery address, they have GPS scanners, they know where the package was when it was scanned “delivered”. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

My PO delivers to the wrong house all the time. They also list things delivered on Friday but it doesnt get to my house until Monday. Contact your local PO and ask.  Unfortunately, neither sellers nor Ebay can control the post office.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I have been successful about 80% of the time with my missing packages.  Of course I shouldnt have to call them to track down where the items were delivered in the first place but thats a whole different story.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Ebay doesn't ship or deliver any sort of mail or package.

Not sure why you would be mad at them.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I'm very sorry you had that experience.

Having said that, Ebay is not responsible for your package.  Neither is the seller.  Tracking shows it was delivered. 

I am not sure why you think that Ebay owes you money for an item that was delivered to you.  

You need to call your Postmaster and ask him/her to check GPS for your item.  This will show where it was delivered.  If it was misdelivered, they will try to retrieve your item for you.  You also need to check around your house, inside and outside, and check with family, and neighbors to see if possibly they know anything about his.  Hopefully you have done all this because you could find your item the way, and these things should have been done before you opened a case.

With all due respect, tracking is the only protection there is as some unscrupulous people could claim they never got their item when tracking indicates delivery.  I am not impugning your veracity, just stating that this is why tracking indicating delivery means no refund.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@hyhswdnr wrote:

Based on this, it seems your location has a problem with receiving mail.  You can arrange for packages to be held at your Post Office for you to pick up or you can rent a post office box as that will be secure.  If this is a regular event, you need to make the Postmaster aware of it; you can file a complaint with the Postmaster General and they do take these things seriously.  Also your Postmaster can put your address on an alert as being an address with issues, and thus problematic.

Based on tracking showing delivery, there is no reason to open a BBB case.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply