cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay refuses to protect buyers for lost packages

hyhswdnr
Adventurer

I placed an order on 06/01 and the seller shipped the product out via USPS. USPS showed it was delivered while I didn't receive the package at all. I opened a case for it on 06/09/2018 and explained what happened. However, ebay closed the case on 06/19 saying that since the tracking information shows that the item was delivered, I can't get my refund. Although the product was very cheap (<$10), ebay's behavior is really disgusting and I don't know what I can do besides opening a case via BBB .

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Ebay refuses to protect buyers for lost packages

eBay doesn't require it but for under 10 bucks I would probably (I never say never) have refunded. I'm not required to but the hassle of having a buyer do all the legwork for the carpy, irresponsible shipping situations I've encountered with the post office is worth much more than ten dollars. I have deep bitterness & disdain for the United States Postal Unservice. I would pay you not to force me to deal with them. 

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@hyhswdnr wrote:

Thanks all for your opionions. Based on my former roommate's experience, calling USPS usually doesn't help. Anyway, I will try my luck.

If this is happening often, you may wish to consider having items possibly shipped with signature at delivery.

That doesn't necessarily stop problems from happening. I ordered a $125 item a couple weeks ago and the item had a signature confirmation on it. I stayed home to wait for it. The carrier never rang my bell, he gave it to a neighbor who was standing in front of my house smoking a cigarette!

I had just met the new neighbor a few days ago when he moved into a building that does not allow smoking within 15 feet of the property. The carrier allowed a stranger to sign for my package! Luckily he was honest and rang my bell to give me the package. He said the carrier pressed him to sign for it even though he said he was just a neighbor.

When you have careless employees bad things can happen.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

If you are having that kind of problems with USPS has it occured to you that the problem might be yours?

That is a ridiculous attitude.

Problems with delivery ARE NOT THE NORM.

The only protection sellers have against bogus did not receive claims is tracking. A buyer that has constant problems with packages going missing is not taking responsibility for themselves. Provide a safe place for packages. That's it. That's all.  Neither eBay nor the seller can do anything about unsafe delivery drops. That is the buyer's responsibility.

Not saying a mis placed delivery never happens. But it does not happen as often as the posts on these boards would indicate.

And thank you so much for saying for such a paltry sum you would just refund. Roll over and play dead.

Radine

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Wait, let me get this straight ... you're saying I'm the one who rolls over and dies when I'm the exception processing seller?
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

So you are saying that eBay should simply take your word that you have not received the item even though the United States Postal Service states in their tracking that the item was delivered?!  Think about it!

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Did you contact your local post office? They will know who your carrier was on the date of "delivery". Thay can speak to that carrier and inquire on where that package was actually scanned ( the USPS scanners have GPS). Speak to the supervisor of delivery or the post master. Also, check with your neighbors. You can also fill a claim w/ USPS on line. Good luck!
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Lets face it, ecoli happens and Ebay does not offer "Lost Packages Insurance".   Even though tracking information shows that the item was delivered, apparently, it was not delivered to your address. 

Allthough, you can complain to the BBB, I would go to your local post office and inform them that you are their to file a complaint against your carrier because tracking shows the package was delivered and you don't have it.  Carriers scanners have a built in GPS and that carrier's scanner knows where the package was delivered. 

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Just a thought.  

Suppose you were selling something on Ebay.  The package you sent had tracking that said delivered.  Your buyer says they didn't get it.  What would you do?   

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

USPS: I finally reported a lost package via usps.com by providing tracking number and all the  other required information. USPS would try finding the package. But so far no update. 

EBAY: I got a message from ebay saying that I would get my refund since my package might get stolen.

In fact, I would like to believe USPS deliver it to a wrong address instead of "someone" stole my package. I recently purchased totally ~$500 products and everytime (not including this one) USPS just dropped them at the front door and no one stole them. I don't suspect my neighbors.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@hyhswdnr wrote:

USPS: I finally reported a lost package via usps.com by providing tracking number and all the  other required information. USPS would try finding the package. But so far no update. 

EBAY: I got a message from ebay saying that I would get my refund since my package might get stolen.

In fact, I would like to believe USPS deliver it to a wrong address instead of "someone" stole my package. I recently purchased totally ~$500 products and everytime (not including this one) USPS just dropped them at the front door and no one stole them. I don't suspect my neighbors.

It isn't your neighbors that you have to worry about.

Porch Pirates will follow a delivery truck around or just cruise neighborhoods looking for unattended packages 😞

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The carrier allowed a stranger to sign for my package! Luckily he was honest and rang my bell to give me the package. He said the carrier pressed him to sign for it even though he said he was just a neighbor.

When you have careless employees bad things can happen.

1. I would not have signed for someone else's package unless it was coming to my home address

2. That employee should either be fired or suspended for such action. 

Message 26 of 26
latest reply