cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a seller in the United States have to make it known that their items are not in the US

I recently purchased an item from a seller from a seller who is in the same state as me. My item has not arrived by the predicted date and now I find out that the seller does not have possession of the items they are selling, in fact the items are in and shipped from China. So the item I was to have already received will not be here for another month and that way to late for my needs. What can I do ? 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Does a seller in the United States have to make it known that their items are not in the US

@jimstr1,

There are china based sellers who are registered in the U.S. who drop ship from China, ebay allows that as long as the return address is to the address in the U.S.   Some Chinese seller's do have warehouses in this country but do ship some of their items from China.

"So the item I was to have already received will not be here for another month and that way to late for my needs".

If the last estimated delivery date has not yet passed there is nothing you can do now. Often if an estimated time frame is longer than 30 days that's an indication the item is coming from outside of the country. You need to check each seller's feedback profile page before buying from them.  On that page click on the numbers of neutral and negative feedback they've received to read only those comments.  Usually if there are lots of slow delivery comments it may be because the seller drop ships if items come from China there are usually comments about that.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

If the estimated delivery date has passed, open an INR case. But, knowing how eBay bends over for Chinese sellers, they'll probably move the date on you. You can usually tell overseas sellers by looking at their feedback page. It'll tell you what country they're registered in, and by looking at feedback received and their DSRs, what kind of service they provide. Lots of slow shipping complaints, stay away.

The listing is supposed to show the location of the item, not the location of the seller.

If ebay's estimated delivery date was based on a US location, then it will be long overdue before the item arrives and you can just file an "Item not received" claim to get a full refund.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

what was the original advertised shipping time line?

this is ebay policy>

If you use drop shipping, you’re still responsible for the safe delivery of the item within the time frame you stated in your listing and for the buyer’s overall satisfaction with their purchase.

if it changed after you purchased, you can report them>

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022&st=12&pos=1&qu...

Also, read this link re item's location>

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-policy?id=4244&st=12&pos=1&query=I...

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

eBay tells you what country the seller is in, not the state. If you see a city and state it's where the item ships from. If it ships from your state the expected delivery date has passed file a not received dispute.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

The seller page say location is Texas. I was supposed to receive by July 14th, I finally found out from the seller on the 14th that the item is in and shipped from China and expected delivery date is July 28th to August 18th. 

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

If listing showed item location  as USA ( Not seller's location) then you should be able to open an INR case if  estimated delivery date has passed and you should get your money back. 

This will cause a defect on seller's account and if lots of buyers do this then sellers service metrics will go high for INR and he will end up paying additional fees to eBay.

I know this does not help buyers but seller gets hit with additional fees on every sale he does for a minimum of one month .

Happy day for eBay.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Purchase date was July 7th and expected delivery was to be July 14th. I did not find out from the seller until the 14th that the item is coming from China and expected delivery date of July 28th to August 18th 

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Item location misrepresentation

If the item has not arrived by the predicated date, eBay provides you  the option of opening a item not received request

Buyers should scrutinize seller listings very carefully, if & when the last estimated date for delivery does reach far into the future, I would guess eBay considers the buyer finds that to be ok or the buyer would have moved on to a seller with a much shorter expected delivery date.

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

The sellers pages says location is Texas. I purchased on July 7th and expected delivery was July 14th. I found out from the seller on the 14th that the item is shipped from China and expected delivery date is now July 28th to August 18th. 

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

The purchase date was July 7th and expected delivery date was July 14th. However in found out from the seller on the 14th that the item is in and shipped from China with an expected delivery date of July 28th to August 18th. 

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

What was the item location according to the payment & shipping tab of the listing?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

When the OP stated "My item has not arrived by the predicted date", I assumed that meant the last estimated delivery date had already passed and was about to suggest he open an item not received case in the Resolution Center.

Was I in error in my interpretation of the OP's wording? 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

@jimstr1 wrote:

The purchase date was July 7th and expected delivery date was July 14th. However in found out from the seller on the 14th that the item is in and shipped from China with an expected delivery date of July 28th to August 18th. 

What does eBay show as the expected delivery date: not what the seller says...?????????

Message 15 of 39
latest reply