cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do political statements on sellers page violate ebay policy?

I've bought from this seller before and one of their items came up in my search just now. After I clicked on the 50% off sale link, on the top left, I see this: "Trump 2024 Screw You Snowflakes!!!!"

So is this allowed by ebay, or can it be reported?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I'm not aware of any ebay policy against political statements.   But, you have a seller that isn't aware that one should never mix business and politics or religion.   Any attempt to do so is guaranteed to alienate at least half your customers.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

That is one tacky promo name but I don't think it's against policy per se.

The fact that they're basically telling prospective buyers to screw off could be tho...

But trying to get a CSR to figure out where they inserted the message (even took me a while to figure it out) might be a biiiig uphill battle...

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Alienate half of the customer base - genius!

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

I, too, am not sure if it violates any specific eBay policy, however, I don't believe that it is a good policy to mix politics or religion with selling unless you are selling political memorabilia or religious paraphernalia.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 34
latest reply

I don't know on what basis it couldn't be reported

How would eBay benefit by consenting to or allowing the posting of political messages ?

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

It looks like this can be reported. I just had some free time so I contacted a rep through chat..Now I'll wait and see if the statement is removed from the page.

This was part of the chat:

"I have looked into this matter for you. On the grounds of your report as well as the evidence I have gathered, I have now taken the appropriate action on this seller's account for their behavior on the site. The action I have taken will have negative impact against their account which ranges from issuing the member an informational alert, a temporary restriction, or an indefinite suspension, among others."

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

It looks like this can be reported. I just had some free time so I contacted a rep through chat..Now I'll wait and see if the statement is removed from the page.

"I have looked into this matter for you. On the grounds of your report as well as the evidence I have gathered, I have now taken the appropriate action on this seller's account for their behavior on the site. The action I have taken will have negative impact against their account which ranges from issuing the member an informational alert, a temporary restriction, or an indefinite suspension, among others."

That sounds like the typical "get the customer off the phone" boilerplate.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@campanaelia wrote:

That sounds like the typical "get the customer off the phone" boilerplate.

Flow chart overseas CSR support.

Also...none of that is likely to have happened nor would an ebay employee tell you what actions they took.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I think ebay could remove the "screw you..."  portion of that message, but the first part might not be removable as it is protected 1st amendment content. If the seller's politics bother you don't buy from them.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 34
latest reply

This morning the link to the sellers page in the OP was removed by the mods for "naming and shaming". I know the rules here and didn't feel that was the case with posting the link for this issue. I was not pointing out a sellers bad reputation here, I was only posting a sellers own page they created and they must of been proud of the statement they were making.So why is that considered "naming and shaming". I think is was the wrong decision.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

I think ebay could remove the "screw you..."  portion of that message, but the first part might not be removable as it is protected 1st amendment content. If the seller's politics bother you don't buy from them.

The 1st Amendment doesn't apply to privately owned websites. eBay can suppress any speech and any individual they want to.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

This morning the link to the sellers page in the OP was removed by the mods for "naming and shaming". I know the rules here and didn't feel that was the case with posting the link for this issue. I was not pointing out a sellers bad reputation here, I was only posting a sellers own page they created and they must of been proud of the statement they were making.So why is that considered "naming and shaming". I think is was the wrong decision.

You pointed out a specific seller's page and asked if it violated eBay policy. That's against the rules, which are quite clear: " We will not tolerate posting about listing or member violations. ".

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Really? people are offended by everything these days.

Is it a scam?

Is someone going to loose money over that? other crime? loss of property? harm?

Why do you feel the need to make reports over everything intangable?

If someone made a T shirt and sold it with words you don't agree with, are you going to ask us if ebay should let you report it?

Realistically eBay will probably remove it if you report it enough, not saying you should, but I'm not a cop.

---
Bolt with his head stuck"Turn and pull, just turn and pull, you'll be outta there in no time."
Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Can it be reported? Yes

Should it be reported? No

A trump slogan on an ebay ad? probably not a wise choice.

A trump slogan on a gunbroker ad? A wise choice

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 15 of 34
latest reply