cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decrease Bid

One purchasing here can easily Raise a bid , however if a person decides he has bid higher than he wanted to it becomes a effort in time and futility to contact seller and jump through hoops to retract a bid or change a Bid amount .   Why don't we have a Decrease Bid button to make this issue easier for all concerned ?     It may well make life simpler  for both parties concerned.

Okay  now everyone can tell me how dumb this idea is .

Jim

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Decrease Bid

@7606dennis wrote:

@house*of*paws wrote:

@jamesl3887 wrote:

There are Bids that you CANNOT retract . 

@jamesl3887 

But all bids CAN be retracted … within a time limit.  [We have to live with the consequences of some mistakes we make.]

Actually, that is not entirely accurate.  While eBay permits retractions for a very limited number of reasons, retractions made for any other would not be considered a valid retraction. 

I may have misinterpreted the OP's meaning of 'CANNOT' ... but I was saying that all bids can be physically retracted within a given time limit.   [During the final 12 hours of an auction, only very recent bids can be retracted at all.]

You are certainly correct about there being policy distinctions between valid and invalid retractions.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@house*of*paws wrote:

@jamesl3887 wrote:

There are Bids that you CANNOT retract . 

@jamesl3887 

But all bids CAN be retracted … within a time limit.  [We have to live with the consequences of some mistakes we make.]

Actually, that is not entirely accurate.  While eBay permits retractions for a very limited number of reasons, retractions made for any other would not be considered a valid retraction. 

I may have misinterpreted the OP's meaning of 'CANNOT' ... but I was saying that all bids can be physically retracted within a given time limit.   [During the final 12 hours of an auction, only very recent bids can be retracted at all.]

You are certainly correct about there being policy distinctions between valid and invalid retractions.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that no retractions should be allowed period.  However, since eBay does permit them I don't usually place a bidder with one retraction on my BBL.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I understand bid retraction being a hot topic , im talking about bid reduction Or Adjustment  However I can see the logic on both sides  ... Thanx

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I do not care for bid retractors.it gives your regular  bidders a bad feeling

its preferred to a non payer or a cancellation

bidders can make it happen if they want to, pick any old reason because ebay does not give a hoot about them, entered wrong amount is a classic

I run lots of auctions and when a bid is canceled ebay sends me a message

naturally the snoop that  I am I have to look at the retraction record

well the last two times this has happened in the past week I could not see it.

maybe it just needed to index but I could not find the number of bid retractions and I do know where to look

@jamesl3887 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

I understand , To date I dont believe i have ever had to "that i can remember"   This thread has gotten a little twisted though .   I didn't say " retraction"  I said "Reduction or Adjustment"  .....  At this point though i can see its  a hot topic for people , Thank You

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Not going to happen, thankfully; and for many many good reasons already pointed out. 

Not any different than being in an Auction House live, raise your paddle with your number on it, and then when you win say 'never mind- I didn't mean it'. 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@jamesl3887 wrote:

I understand , To date I dont believe i have ever had to "that i can remember"   This thread has gotten a little twisted though .   I didn't say " retraction"  I said "Reduction or Adjustment"  .....  At this point though i can see its  a hot topic for people , Thank You

When placing  a bid on something being sold at auction you're placing a bid for that amount.  In order to reduce or adjust that amount you would need to retract the bid for the amount already made.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 22 of 22
latest reply