cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change payment for Auctions?

Is there a way to change the payment option from paypal to a credit or debit card for auctions? Just made my first bid, but I'd rather pay from my finacial institution than paypal, and can't seem to figure out how to change it.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

All payments go thru Paypal, unless the seller has a merchant account to process credit cards.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@robte_29,

bonjourami, just posted an answer that is essentially correct. Most sellers on this site do not have merchant accounts, so making direct credit card purchases is usually not an option.

You will have to go to PayPal and add the credit/debit card to your account.  If you already have done that, and it is the only payment option you have, that is how you will pay.  If you have more than one payment option you will have to make your card the default payment method, unless you have a paypal balance.  Paypal does not share your financial info with sellers, so it is a safe way to pay.  You should login to Paypal click on the Help button, then type Payments into the topic search box on the page that opens.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Buyers can use eBay checkout to make credit card payments to sellers who only accept PayPal, even if the buyer doesn't have (or doesn't use) their own Paypal account.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

As a buyer you have to pay using whatever payment options are on the listing. Buyers CAN make a direct credit card payment whether the seller has their own merchant account or not. A few years ago, eBay started offering credit card payments as a payment option along with PayPal. So when you go to pay, you can choose either PayPal or credit card. The credit card payment is still processed by PayPal but you will enter your card information on the checkout page rather than log into PayPal. also you can use your financial institution when paying through PayPal, when you pay through PayPal.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@mudshark61369wrote:

You will have to go to PayPal and add the credit/debit card to your account..

You're an active buyer, so you see the checkout page quite often. Virtually every time, you see a choice between PayPal, PayPal credit, and a credit card. Surely you don't think all those sellers have a merchant account that allows them to accept payments from people who select "credit card"?

I don't have a merchant account, but I can still take credit card payments from people who don't have a PayPal account. eBay simply routes the payment through PayPal.

So no, OP doesn't have to go to PayPal and add a card. That's how I would do it, to get protection from both PayPal AND my CC company, but it's not required.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply