cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling a transaction ( Buying) within an hour.

• On the 27 Oct I bought two items from two different sellers. and Paid with a credit card.
  • Within minutes I realized that I can buy one of the items for 1/4 the price from a local shop so I cancelled that Item. I received " Got it - you want to Cancel an order " email from Ebay.
  • The seller after two days sent me an email, asking if "Are you sure you want to cancel the order" again after two days and then a notification  ( On the 30th Oct )that the item was shipped. Frankly I don't check my Ebay emails and Once I cancelled with the hour I didn't  think I needed to follow up.
  • Ebay Article on "Cancel an order" Clearly states that you can Cancel an order with an hour. Since its a Ebay article , I presumed ( not so sure anymore ) its part of Ebay Policy and protection. When Talking to Ebay associates  I was given the impression that even with this article its upto the seller to cancel it ( Ebay article says if the seller hasn't shipped it ).

I understand that I can:

• Do a chargeback but the issue is how would I do that without affecting the other seller too?
  • I can do a return , but then I am liable for shipping article back to China which would be like $20 and I would still be out the shipping fees the seller charged.

First , Is my understanding incorrect that its ( Cancelling the order within 1 hour ) part of Ebay and Ebay should be responsible for enforcing this policy?

What other options might I have?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Cancelling a transaction ( Buying) within an hour.

I  agree that if a seller is asked to cancel an order and they haven’t shipped it, they should cancel as it is never a good idea to force someone to buy something that they changed their mind about.  However, the others are correct in that the request to cancel is just a request.  The page you linked to specifies that you can make the request  within an hour unless the item has already been marked as shipped.  If it has been shipped, you would not have been able to make that request in that way...you would have to send a separate message,   I do think eBay should change  their wording on that so that buyers realize that their request is just a request.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Cancelling a transaction ( Buying) within an hour.

@anees01 wrote:

To clarify to all, it was not a auction.

It was a Buyitnow for a multiple item listing.

To be Honest , most of you seem to think its a request.  For me its unreasonable, The buyer is basically forcing me to buy it. A cool-off period is standard practice and I was under the impression that this was ebay's version of it.

This is prolly why Ebay is dying.

We'll send your request to the seller and ask them to confirm that they haven't sent the item yet. We'll then send a confirmation of cancellation to your registered email address, as well as to your

The above steps listed were in my opinion supporting my viewpoint as they only require the seller to confirm if the shipment has been dispatched. it doesnt state approval of the seller as required.

No one is forcing you to do anything.  You already bought it.

And while some sites have a timeline within which a buyer can outright cancel, they are usually selling and processing their own merchandise.  eBay doesn't sell or ship items.  They cannot (and should not) possibly dictate how hundreds of thousands of sellers run their operations.

You have no idea if that seller had your order to the processing department within 5 minutes and if it was already pulled from the shelf and sent off to packaging.  For mega-sellers, pulling mid-processing orders isn't possible.  It could bring production to a screeching halt and cause further problems down the line.  

Message 17 of 17
latest reply