cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we block sellers?

One of the unfortunate aspects of eBay is the large number of fake sellers out there - they're easy to spot in the stuff I normally purchase but they're still a pain in the bottom as I waste a ton of time clicking on items only to take one look at the seller's history and realize it's a fake seller.

It would be very helpful if buyers had the ability to simply click on a seller and block that seller so that anything from that seller is no longer sent in email feeds, nor does it come up on searches.

This would save buyers a ton of time since if I'm wasting my time looking at listings from individuals I feel are fake sellers (or whom I have experienced shill bidding from) I'm not buying from legit sellers and earning eBay money.

To further help eBay and its buyers I would also recommend allowing buyers to exclude sellers from their search results if a seller has less than a certain rating.

For example, many fake sellers will use shill accounts to boost themselves up to 10 positive ratings to appear more legit, so being able to set my autoblock to not show me sellers with less than 15 positive ratings would be helpful.

I also wouldn't mind being able to set it to block percentile ratings so that I don't see anyone with, say, less than a 90% positive rating when I'm shopping.

By instituting these measures eBay will significantly reduce time and money wasted in having to deal with fake seller complaints as well as increasing sale volume as buyers are less likely to get frustrated and give up a search due to being overwhelmed by obviously fake sellers when shopping for a particular item.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Can we block sellers?

No.  This is another thing that has been requested many times, but so far without results.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 38
latest reply

Well if enough people keep asking often enough maybe we'll get some luck, after all, sellers can block buyers so we know they have the capability to do it, we just don't know why they won't.
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

@sean_foltzwrote:
 we know they have the capability to do it, we just don't know why they won't.

We know why.  Too many would block the Golden Children from the Far East.

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

Wouldn't it be better to just set up two ebays

The first Offering Used items

The second with offerings of only New merchandise 

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

You can filter out up to 10 sellers from your search.  In Advanced Search or from the filter links in the left column of a search result find where it lets you limit the search to named sellers, and change the "Include" to "Exclude" and list the ones you want out.

You can then save the search (or follow or whatever they are calling it now, they keep changing the terminology) and use it as the basis for future searches you want those sellers excluded from, changing keywords and other filters as needed.  You can save multiple searches with different lists of sellers likely to be selling a particular type of item to get around the 10 seller limitation.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

@chrysylyswrote

We know why.  Too many would block the Golden Children from the Far East.

See my reply appearing above this post.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

@sean_foltzwrote:
Well if enough people keep asking often enough maybe we'll get some luck, after all, sellers can block buyers so we know they have the capability to do it, we just don't know why they won't.

We've been asking for at least 15 years. Some eBay execs actually laughed at the idea during a Q&A at one of their "conventions"

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

Ebay tried that many years ago, it was called Ebay Express.  It failed.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Buyers already have the ability to block; it is not automatic, you just have to hit the back button if you find a listing from a seller you don't want to buy from.

Buyers have the choice of whom they wish to buy from.  Sellers don't meet their buyer until they win or buy their listing, which is why they need the blocks.  It's a necessity for them, because a problematic buyer can cause severe damage, to feedback, to their business, to what may be their livelihood, and to them financially in both extra shipping and possible loss of business.  

Buyers are protected by the MBG and by themselves through careful vetting ot the listing and the seller.  Sellers don't have that luxury, hence they have blocks.  It actually coordinates with the Law, as B & M stores have the right to refuse service to anyone...you have probably seen no shirt, no shoes, no service signs, among others.

I am a buyer.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

Chances are, if you have been in a problematic transaction with a seller, you are already blocked.  So no worries.

If you want to be sure, you can always message the seller and ask to be added to their BBL.  They will probably oblige you.

Hope this helps.

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

EBay has undergone some change over the manny years since. What failed before could possibly address some issues as ebay continues the path of change. 

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

@woodland_gnomewrote:

You can filter out up to 10 sellers from your search.  In Advanced Search or from the filter links in the left column of a search result find where it lets you limit the search to named sellers, and change the "Include" to "Exclude" and list the ones you want out.

You can then save the search (or follow or whatever they are calling it now, they keep changing the terminology) and use it as the basis for future searches you want those sellers excluded from, changing keywords and other filters as needed.  You can save multiple searches with different lists of sellers likely to be selling a particular type of item to get around the 10 seller limitation.

Now that is an extremely helpful observation - THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Everyone scroll up and give this individual a thumbs up!

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@sean_foltzwrote:

Now that is an extremely helpful observation -

Actually it isn't because it doesn't really address the issue at all.  At best, it's a temporary bypass with very limited scope.  It only affects search results that contain the items including those search terms.  It is not a permanent Seller Managagement List that blocks all of a seller's items in all searches.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

@chrysylyswrote:

@sean_foltzwrote:

Now that is an extremely helpful observation -

Actually it isn't because it doesn't really address the issue at all.  At best, it's a temporary bypass with very limited scope.  It only affects search results that contain the items including those search terms.  It is not a permanent Seller Managagement List that blocks all of a seller's items in all searches.

It addresses the issue to the extent that it can be addressed given the tools we have. Are we not supposed to tell people about that option because it's "not a permanent Seller Management List"?

Message 15 of 38
latest reply